Work In Progress / Action RPG(WIP)(APLHA Tech Demo): The Multidimensional Adventures of Andrew

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2016 11:32 Edited at: 28th Feb 2016 09:07
The Multidimensional Adventures of Andrew

New Screen:

Intro

The Multidimensional Adventures of Andrew is the story of a “Normal” Guy who gets sucked into an abnormal world. Game vistas will vary from sprawling wastelands to massive medieval fortresses, underground caverns to cities in the sky. It is a fusion of Sci-Fi conventions and classic High Fantasy ALA D&D, in a 4th wall breaking parody style. Graphics will be gritty in places, vibrant in others, with segments purposefully done in a cartoon style.

Character Bios

Andrew: Protagonist. Character has a fully fleshed out, if dull, backstory. An IT support rep, and general awkward Nerd with a love for Sci-Fi and a Hatred of Fantasy, so much so that he avoids it like the plague.

Alura: An Exiled Dark Elf Princess, Alura is out of her element on the surface world. Kinder than the majority of her kin, she is still cruel and manipulative by human standards. She meets and eventually falls in love with the culture shocked and confused Andrew, adding to his moral delemma on a daily basis. Acts of cruely and sadism will improve relations with her, but kindess shown at the right time may cause her to have a change of heart.

Damathus: Big Baddie. 'Nuff Said

Rough Plot

The game starts here, in our world. After a game mechanics tutorial in a safe setting (Earth) the game immediately moves to the world of Tarthas to begin the first act of the game. The first act is all about leveling up Andrew, and familiarizing oneself with the world. Upon a trigger to be determined, Andrew discovers “big boss of evil tm”. The second act begins after the defeat of the BBOE, and consists of Andrew attempting to put right what went wrong. If Alura likes the main character enough, she will provide special quests . The 3rd act is a fast paced platform sequence that the character moves through to get to the dimension containing the Big Bad, Damathus. Upon defeat of Damathus, the game is over. Players will be allowed to freely roam the world in a sandbox mode, including dimensions locked during the main quest, each with their own mini main quest lines, ALA a traditional expansion.

Gameplay Description
Basic FPS Style play with Sandbox RPG elements. (DONE) Linear main quest(0%), followed by Free roam mode with several questlines(0%). Game will have puzzle elements(0%), as well as platforming elements.(0%) Power up and inventory system, (DONE)day/night and time system, multiple weapons, melee and ranged, modern, and ancient, including several different world objects that can be used as weapons. (Crow bar, board, hammer, saw, ETC)(50%(weapon system complete, need to add all weapons)) Hunger and thirst system,(DONE) Sleep system,(0%) quest and EXP based leveling.(DONE) Weather effects, snow and rain. (0%)Random loot drops from enemies,(DONE) blood splatter,(DONE) respawn points and immortal (constantly respawning enemies, usually quest related with a trigger to kill the enemy)(DONE) Status effect system,(DONE) Magic system, (0%)Crafting system,(0%) Settlement/City Building system. (0%)Mining (Rock entities to break) (0%)Harvesting (Plants and crops) (0%)animal husbandry, (0%)tailoring and gambling.(0%)

I am currently focusing on the core game mechanics, All graphics, sprites, and models are placeholders. I have a feature map, but I am open to suggestions. Any script and media contributions will be accepted with appreciation, as well as a credit for you here in this post and in the game itself.

Current Demo:
Current Version is Alpha 0.01... It is literally nothing more than a basic feature and combat system demo. Feel free to play with it and report any bugs. The demo is Vishnu wrapped. I will send level file in a PM if anyone really wants it, but you will need to have several packs from the GameGuru store to be able to use it, and I won't pass those files around.

Self Hosted Version ALPHA 0.02: http://balrogstudios.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/TMAA.zip

Script Credits:
Tarkus1971: Thirst/Hunger system
moshroom: RPG Menu,Inventory,Quests,NPC Dialog,Shops
smallg: Enemy Loot Script, Blood Drop Script
Dvader: Civilian AI
Several others, Final list will be added as the script list is finalized. Most scripts will be combined into one massive script, and most item scripts will be replaced with Direct Item ID calls. Attaching a script to every item is a great way to make scripts more compatible, but is the worst performance hit I've seen, period. On my crappy 4 year old laptop, I saw a 5-10 FPS boost just from combining 3 scripts together.

Media Credits:
Um... everybody, EAI, TGC, Oldpman, Dvader, VA, Etc, Etc, I bought about $400 in assets, so the media credits will be in the final game as I would have to constantly update this section as I use or modify new assets. Seriously, My biggest problem in the past with game projects is a lack of media... well, 16 GB of GG media means I have every static entity I need, and most of the characters. And that's not counting the 30GB of FPSC media I have. So far, Importing is a damn cinch. All this texture combining is silly... just copy some texture files to the built game and it all works. So far all of the model pack 9 - 10 guns have needed only zoom adjustments... lol. EAI's FPSC combat Knife is in the new demo, completely unmodified. I didn't even edit the gunspec.
Screenshots:

Menu Screen

NPC Dialog

Shop NPC Dialog

Shop Dialog (Buy Item Screen)

Who is This NPC?

Survival System Items

Quest NPC Dialog

That's Who that NPC Was!

Not just Quest rewards, Random Loot drops!
Power is that which you possess, and are willing to use without fear of reprisal. - me. (sounds like a real quote tho)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2016 13:47
Sounds interesting. The screenshots aren't displaying properly though.
Don\'t waste your life
balrogbob
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2016 22:19
I never really post in the forums, so I figure that has something to do with it... I'm prepping a website, so I'll just attach a couple screenshots and link to the site once its up.
Power is that which you possess, and are willing to use without fear of reprisal. - me. (sounds like a real quote tho)
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I fixed the links for all the pics ...
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
balrogbob
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2016 20:32
Thank you so much! What did i do wrong when I first posted? I have a huge update with much better screens, how do I make sure it shows up correctly?
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2016 21:22 Edited at: 26th Feb 2016 21:25
I pasted the links into my address bar ....then when the pic shows I recopied the slightly different address and placed that in the "Image" bar from the button above ... for some reason copying the address you had changed slightly in my address bar when the pic showed up ?

Screen address 2 looked like this for example ... http://jobexpousa.com/g/TMAA%20Screen%202_r.jpg ...when the pic showed ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
balrogbob
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2016 07:07
Huh. Well, it works, lol. It must be the spaces in the names... I'll use underscores for the next batch. Website is almost ready, and I'll have new screens and a new demo here (Built with GG 1.12 PR). The shadowmaps now take FOREVER to generate at extreme high resolution... ugh. I may backtrack to 1.112 to gen the maps, the reupdate to do the build, lol.
balrogbob
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2016 09:59
New website for project: http://balrogstudios.com/
balrogbob
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 08:55
New version of demo: http://balrogstudios.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/TMAA.zip

New screenshot:
balrogbob
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 09:11
Interesting bug for 1.12... no Hud. The hud is missing from the standalone built game... odd. I hate the default hud, so I care not, but it is odd...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 20:42:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 20:42:57