3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Blender - Face Light Emission?

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2016 01:18
Hey all, I have been playing around with modelling in blender and would appreciate some help on getting a face to emit light.

The model is just a simple computer screen, and of course the screen needs to emit light. However after much research and reading various stuff on google, I am still not sure how to go about this seemingly simple task. (probably me that is simple lol)

I understand the Cycles rendered in blender can be used, but I believe it doesn't support smoothing yet, and since the model has some smoothing applied I would need to use the Blender Renderer - well I think anyway.

Can anyone point me to a decent tut on this?

Thanks for any help.

Reliquia....
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
You can create an illumination texture and the put the entity shader in game to highest.

Copy the texture, edit it and make the areas you don't want to glow black/very dark grey and the areas you do want to glow white/light grey (grey is to adjust the level of brightness)
Then save it the same as the normal texture but _i.DDS

You can adjust the colour it glows by changing one of the other textures but I forget which one.
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 16th Feb 2016 12:56
Totally agree with smallg here.

You can create surfaces that emit in blender, but getting them out of blender is a bit of a chore if you're using cycles.

The easiest way is as smallg said to create a copy of your diffuse (_D.dds) texture, paint the parts you want to emit in white, then all the rest in black, then export it as _I.dds. It's basically a mask texture that tells the engine to remove bloom from everything in black, and increase bloom on everything in white, with shades of grey varying values in between.
i7, NV960 4GB, 16GB memory, 2x 4TB Hybrid.
i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII.
i3, Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 512gB Generic SATAII.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 2GB memory, 180GB Generic SATAII.
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2016 13:09
Lol, I spent the best part of a day trying to research this, and you're suggestions are just the ticket. I tend to try my best to work out how to do stuff before asking for help, but sometimes it would be better to ask first! lol.

Many thanks smallg and Belidos, got the effect I was after with you're valued help. I know it has been said before but this is one really helpful forum - like REALLY helpful!

Reliquia....
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 13:18:25
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 13:18:25