Feature Creep / NUMBERS... Please!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2016 16:35
One of the strengths of GG is the free form way in which one can work with the editor,. Tools such as; level, Inclines, and so forth work visually. This is both a strength and a weakness. For LUA scriptors, related numerical information is critical. For example the XYZ coordinates of a particular point on the map are critical to writing object movement code, yet these values are no where to be found.

Using terrain editing tools would also become more precise if we could enter a number (for example) to establish a height value for the level and incline tools, as well as a maximum height or depth value for raising and lowering the terrain. These values are already there inside the base code, why not make them available to the users so we can improve the precision of the maps we develop???
"THERE IS NO SPOON"

AMD 6300 6 core 3.5 ghz, Windows 8.1, 8GB ram, GTX 650 2GB ram
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 11th Feb 2016 17:21 Edited at: 11th Feb 2016 21:53
We already have them, in the bottom right corner. They're the X/Y co-ordinates divided by 100, and the Z co-ordinate divided by 1000. Would be good if they made them the real numbers though.
m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2016 22:37 Edited at: 11th Feb 2016 23:03
The current display of x/y coordinates is a meaningless feature. Of no real value to anyone trying to revise accurate terrain elevations or entity placement.
We need an editing system that allows user selection of XYZ coordinate by entry of real numbers. I have had no success in getting this feature on the voting list.
Others wanting this type of feature need to make a request it be added to the features voting list.

Edit:
I only see x: and z: on my editor screen
I have mentioned this feature as far back as June 2015 and I believe I've read a post somewhere that Lee agrees it is a valid feature to expect.
Windows 10,64 bit|AMD FX-6200 Six-core-3.80 Ghz |CPU PASSMARK 6,142 |Memory 10GB |NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 SC |GPU PASSMARK 4,114
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2016 13:49
Is a pain when you want place some panel/sprite in screen, for fine tune you've only trial and error, till tou get the disired position.

And I'm not talking abouy just place img in screen, you imagine the following scene:

I'm working in inventory, so I've a big imagen ( a box) lets say in the center of screen, place it is not problem (50,50), but now I'll should to place the collectibles, all the objects the player grabb, inside this box, leaving some space between them and so on, there should be a slots to contain those items; when player use one item, there should be a new empty slot.

Here any way to get the real x,y, co-oor becames very handy, like a grid along the screen, the ability to works with sprites as some item more, and being able to place them manually in the editor, of course remain hide while in test mode till the player want to use it.

What I really would like was some sort of oop, where one item is one object, it has their own properties, methods, events, etc.
Just my thoughts.

Does not work a lot with this sorts of thing (sprittes, panels), because this; and I'm not sure if the others items are screen coordinate based, following with the example above:

The box is clear positioned (screen based), but the collectibles, does they are screen based too?
If so, why not box coordinate based?
If engine alredy now the box coordinates, why not work with them, to positioned the collectibles?

If inventory be an object, the slot can be image control, so easily I can say: slot1.picture = "collectible.bmp" (teapot, ammo, healt, etc); and do not have to care about screen coordinates, and so on.

A panel being a textbox, so I can say: textbox1.text= "the text you want here"
Since the textbox have picture properties, so I can say: textbox1.picture="myImage.bmp", and I alredy have the image panel I want to. And so on.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:09:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:09:07