3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Blender and Materials

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, i have done a Rock-Model with a self designed Material. How do i Export the Model to .x ? I have try it, but my Stone got no Material...
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 8th Feb 2016 21:49 Edited at: 8th Feb 2016 21:55
What we normally do is export and create the textures manually by unwrapping the model onto a png, baking an ambulant occlusion png, the importing them into GIMP or paintshop and manually adding the textures.

I'm not entirely sure how to do it using textuires from inside blender, but I think it's like this:

1. in the bottom menu bar of the 3d view on the left you will see a little icon that looks like a box with up down arrows. To the left of that you will see a small hashed triangle shape, drag that to the right so you have two equal windows.
2. in the bottom menu of the left window select the same icon as before and choose UV/Image editor.
3. you will see a +New button, click that and create a new image
4. go to your 3d view and make sure it's in edit mode then press A to highlight everything
5. press U, select Smart UV Project and click OK, you will see outlines appear on the left windows image
6. with everything still selected go to the properties menu on the far right side, and find the bake section, and select full render in the bake mode dropdown
7. tick the selected to active tick box, then click bake, your textures should appear in the image in the left window
8. now in the left windows bottom menu choose image then save as image, you can now save your texture file.

Then you go back to the 3d window, switch it to object mode, select all, and export as .x

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2016 21:56 Edited at: 8th Feb 2016 21:57
If you want to learn how to do it via the preferred method most of us use then I recommend watching these videos in order, it's a step by step tutorial on how to make a model all the way through to texturing, exporting and getting it FPSC-Reloaded ready, he even tells you exactly which buttons to press and why:

(just in case you didn't know already FPSC-Reloaded was an early title for GameGuru so these work exactly the same for GameGuru)

Stromchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, i have look at this. I did my Stones as i see in this Vid, they look realy great...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRDFMYfsIcU
PM
Stromchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2016 22:26 Edited at: 8th Feb 2016 22:27
Is it possible to make a Texture from 2 Images in Gimp?
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2016 22:51 Edited at: 8th Feb 2016 23:02
You should be able to, i'm not sure how though because I always do the textures manually. I can't do it tonight, but let me take a look at that video tomorrow and i'll recreate it myself, then see where you're at so I can work out how to explain how to export it with materials for you.
Stromchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
It´s a looooong way to learn all the programs, but it´s a lot of fun also. And with Help it´s much easier.... Thnx a lot again....
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2016 21:42 Edited at: 9th Feb 2016 22:00
OK I managed to do it, it's easy to do, but hard to explain I will see if I can explain it ....

I assume you copied the tutorial exactly? If so you want to export the three rocks in one file right?

ok here goes ...

1. Open up a window and switch it to: UV/Image Editor
2. Make a new image by pressing the +New button
3. in the 3d view highlight the first rock and switch to edit mode
4. select everything and press U -> Sphere projection
5. in the UV window scale the UV down and move it inside the image so that theres space for the other two
6. repeat for the other two rocks, scale and position them so they don't overlap, you may have to switch between the rocks to judge the positioning because you can only see the active object in the UV window

Now to bake the textures to images

1. switch the 3d view to object mode and make sure ALL three objects are shift selected and go to the far right properties menu and select from the icons near the top "Render" (looks like a camera)
2. right down the bottom there's a section called bake, expand it if you need to
3. in the drop down menu below the bake button select normal, then press the bake button
4. after a while you will see a purple image of the rocks appear in the UV window, this is your normal map, to the left of where the +New button was should be a menu selection called "image" click that and select save as image, save this image as rocks_N (the underscore and letter are important)
5. go back to the bake menu and change the drop down to "Gloss Color" and hit bake again
6. a new greyscale image will appear in the UV window, save this one as rocks_S
7. go back to the bake menu and change the drop down to "Ambient Occlusion" and hit bake again
6. a new white scale image will appear in the UV window, save this one as rocks_AO
7. go back to the bake menu and change the drop down to "Diffuse Color" and hit bake again
6. a new colour image will appear in the UV window, save this one as rocks_D

You should now have 4 textures:
_D is your actual texture
_S is your specular, this deals with shine and gloss
_N is your normal map, this produces the bumps and ridges
_AO is your ambient occlusion, this deals with shadows

don't forget to export your model as rocks.x

But I only want one texture you say... Well for GameGuru you need three, Diffuse (combined with AO). normal and specular

You now need to combine your diffuse and AO, and convert your textures to .dds
(i'll give instructions for GIMP as that is the only one I know how to use, you may need to work it out yourself if you use something else, i'm also assuming you will have the .dds plugin already installed)

1. Open up rocks_D in GIMP
2. With rocks_D displayed drag your rocks_AO file onto GIMP, it will add it as a layer on top of rocks _D
3. look on the right hand menu, just above a menu that says mode:normal with a little down arrow box to the right, with the AO layer highlighted below click the down arrow box and select multiply, the two images should now be combined
4. right click the AO layer and select "new from visible"
5. select the new from visible layer then from the main menu choose file -> esport as
6. at the top change the name of the file you want to export to rocks_D.dds and click ok, then in the box that pops up click ok again
7. now close GIMP down and open up rocks_N
8. you don't have to make any changes here, just export as rocks_N.dds
9. do the same with rocks_S

you should now have:

rocks.x
rocks_D.dds
rocks_N.dds
rocks_S.dds

Now you need 2 more files,

1. a BMP thumbnail, this can be any BMP image at 64x64 pixels, named rocks.bmp
2. an FPE file, this tells GameGuru what your model is

The easiest way to get your FPE is to make a copy of an existing one from any other normal model and:

1. change the filename to rocks.fpe
2. open it in notepad
3. change the line desc = whateveritalreadyis to desc = rocks
4. change the line texture = whateveritalreadyis to texture = rocks_D.dds
5. change the line model = whateveritalreadyis to model = rocks.x
6. save it

but what about my _N and _S textures, how does it know about them? The _D texture is your base texture, gameguru will automatically look for any texture files of the same name with _N and _S and load them in, it's smart like that

You now have all the files you need for gameguru:

rocks.x
rocks.fpe
rocks.bmp
rocks_D.dds
rocks_N.dds
rocks_S.dds

put them in a folder and put that folder into your gameguru/files/entitybank folder, then load into gameguru and add them to the game, est voila you have rocks.

One bit of quick advice though: If you did it exactly the same as the tutorial they will be teeny weeny tiny rocks, you should scale them up by 50 to 100 depending on how big you want them.

Phew that took longer to write than to actually do, haven't time for my own models now, oh well they can wait a day lol

I hope this helps, good luck.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Stromchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, thnx for your instructions. I made it two times, and it seems that something went wrong. The _D-Texture look like the Picture below...

Attachments

PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2016 13:04 Edited at: 10th Feb 2016 13:08
I have no idea at all what you have done there to be honest. I had something similar to that happen inside blender while I was creating it, and it turned out to be that I had one of the node settings too high, I forget which. Maybe go through the video again and pause it every time he changes a setting and copy exactly what he does, then at the end follow my guide to the letter.
Stromchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2016 13:17 Edited at: 10th Feb 2016 14:21
Yea, i´m playing arrond with the settings. I think, i do the Rocks the "normal" Texture way... I used an other Texture and edjust the ColorRamp a bit...

Attachments

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 15:52:11
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 15:52:11