3rd Party Models/Media Chat / [LOCKED] how to upload .mtl texture and .obj models?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
there's no explanation on how to upload a .obj model with .mtl texture to sell for the gameguru store. i think i understand how to upload it in .dds with .x file but everything i do and every program i use always uploads to .mtl file since its the most used thing on the web. i dont have 3ds max or used blender, so i have no way to find a convertor or add-on for such a thing.

is it hopeless or is there something i'm missing?
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2016 20:11 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2016 20:11
Hello firecat.

There is no game engine I know off that imports .mtl files. A .mtl contains material parameters, its not an image and you will have to set up the material in most engines themselves. You can usually load in only .dds, .tga, .jpg, .png or other standart texturemap/image formats.

Quote: "since its the most used thing on the web."

It really isn't. Almost all modern engines use .fbx as their primary format. .mtl is almost never used, only in 3D modeling or visualisation application.
.obj can not be the most used 3D file in game creation because it can not store animations. Yes, you get a lot of the high poly stuff in .obj but most of that can not be used in realtime stuff anyway.

Quote: "so i have no way to find a convertor or add-on for such a thing."

Yes you have, you can easily convert with this free online converter.
There are also plenty of tools that quickly convert .obj to .x around the web.

As for your question: the store does not support .mtl or .obj at all. Cross Plattform 3Dtraders allow that format but for the game guru store, it will need to be in .x and there is no need for a material file.

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 3rd Feb 2016 20:27 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2016 20:30
As Wolf said game engines primarily use .fbx and to a lesser degree .x I've not come across one yet that uses .obj. OBJ Is primarily for sharing between modelling programs and web display. The reason most 3DTraders post in OBJ format is because it's pretty much the easiest format to import into a 3D modelling program to convert to the format needed, they're more like reference models than finished models if you know what I mean.
firecat
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks but now the only problem is how to re-add the images, skechfab couldn't upload it, and one website did allow me to see the model with missing image. as i already said i cant upload in .X or have a way to make .dds image stay in the model, i'm back to square one.
PM
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2016 08:17
In what program did you make it?

harry
Harry
PM
firecat
Years of Service
User Offline
clara.io its easyer then blender and i have a lot of more freedom then maya 3d.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2016 23:41
Quote: "as i already said i cant upload in .X or have a way to make .dds image stay in the model,"

I just told you that you do. You can convert obj to x with the converter I linked to above and with most 3d editors out there.
You don't need to add the texture or material to the model (the x file) you just need to put the name of the texture in the .fpe

textured = yourtexture_D.dds / .png /.jpg /.tga

-Wolf
firecat
Years of Service
User Offline
it doesn't give me a .fpe, all i did was convert the model without the image because it cant convert the image. there seems no way around this without using one of the two programs. its very unfair since one requires lots of money and other is known to be extremely outdated in 3D modeling software.
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2016 04:24
Try Blender, It is free, and has all the power of max and maya.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2016 08:15 Edited at: 5th Feb 2016 08:17
Quote: "it doesn't give me a .fpe, all i did was convert the model without the image because it cant convert the image. there seems no way around this without using one of the two programs. its very unfair since one requires lots of money and other is known to be extremely outdated in 3D modeling software."

1. FPE files are nothing to do with modelling software, they're a command file generated when you import the models into GameGuru
2. There are literally dozens of very good modelling tools out there you can use, just to name four: 3DS Max (well featured and easy to use, but expensive, although there are ways to get it for free ), Blender (totally free, and most will say as good as if onot better than 3DS Max, downside is its controls are a little tricky to get used to, but once you do it's awesome), Ultimate Unwrap 3D pro (the middle ground program here, it's good enough and its easy enough, but it satisfies all your general needs and is only around £60) and Fragmotion (as with UU3DPRO it's good enough, and if you are will to type out the lords prayer once a week, totally free)

I would highly recommend watching infamila's modelling video tutorials, they're for blender, but even if you don't use lender the later videos (specifically texturing and making the files gameguru ready) are still very useful.

The cheapest and easiest way to start making models for GameGuru would be to watch those videos and get yourself Blender (free from steam) and GIMP (free from www.gimp.org )
firecat
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "1. FPE files are nothing to do with modelling software, they're a command file generated when you import the models into GameGuru
2. There are literally dozens of very good modelling tools out there you can use, just to name four: 3DS Max (well featured and easy to use, but expensive, although there are ways to get it for free ), Blender (totally free, and most will say as good as if onot better than 3DS Max, downside is its controls are a little tricky to get used to, but once you do it's awesome), Ultimate Unwrap 3D pro (the middle ground program here, it's good enough and its easy enough, but it satisfies all your general needs and is only around £60) and Fragmotion (as with UU3DPRO it's good enough, and if you are will to type out the lords prayer once a week, totally free)

I would highly recommend watching infamila's modelling video tutorials, they're for blender, but even if you don't use lender the later videos (specifically texturing and making the files gameguru ready) are still very useful.

The cheapest and easiest way to start making models for GameGuru would be to watch those videos and get yourself Blender (free from steam) and GIMP (free from www.gimp.org )
"

i already know about 3D modeling softwares but using blender means the textures will be downgraded. Vray is available in clara.io and its the main reson why i'm using it. every other free program does not offer Vray, so i have no reason to go blender if i can already make 3D human models without it, 3D items, and texture. another thing is blender really is now considered to be outdated, not one tourtails works anymore, blender needs 4GB RAM to run an animation, crashes, and more: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?390434-Blender-Is-Kind-of-Outdated
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2016 16:50 Edited at: 5th Feb 2016 16:58
Not sure what you're on about here, blender models can use any texture of any quality just the same as 3d Max.

You can use v-ray in Blender too, you just need a plugin http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VFBlender/Quick+Start+Guide

And the last paragraph of your statement there is absolute rubbish, it is in no way considered outdated, it's getting closer to the top with professional software costing thousands of pounds, in fact many media companies are picking it up and using custom versions to produce animations for commercials. Did you know that a lot of Disney's animations at Pixar were until recently (when they developed their own software based on Blender) created with modified versions of Blender?

Blender's certainly not outdated, it's steadily climbing its way to the top.

I've recently learn how to use Blender myself using those same tutorials you state "don't work any more", so they must work otherwise I would not be using Blender right now.

Blender has never once crashed on me and has never exceeded 2gb memory usage, unlike 3D Max where even with my 16gb of memory I have to be careful with the number of poly's/tris I use in an animation, besides if you have les than 4GB in a machine that you are trying to do 3D animation in, then you really should consider upgrading.

Sounds to me like you are very misinformed or just have a gripe with blender.
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2016 17:46
Quote: "textures will be downgraded"

In every modelling program you assign your texture to the unwrapped model.
The texture you make in lets say gimp ( or photoshop)
is in a standard size. 512 x 512 or 1024 by 1024 or 2048x 2048, 4096 x 4096.
When assigned the texture in GG it is rendered by the engine (shader).

so this has nothing to do in my opinion with downgrading textures by Blender or using a renderer like vray.
You make the texture in the size and quality you want.
or i don't understand exactly what you mean further.

Harry

Harry
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2016 21:22 Edited at: 5th Feb 2016 21:24
Quote: "it doesn't give me a .fpe, all i did was convert the model without the image because it cant convert the image. there seems no way around this without using one of the two programs. its very unfair since one requires lots of money and other is known to be extremely outdated in 3D modeling software."

The fpe files are a reference/command file for gameguru to know what to do with your model. It is needed to sell anything on the store anyway and you can view countless examples in your gameguru entitybank. You can not sell a model on the store without a proper .fpe .
Blender is not extremely outdated...I don't think its even a little outdated. You don't have to use blender anyway as you stated yourself, you know 3d modeling software. There are hundreds you can use for your conversion. If you don't know how to extract the diffuse texture (the image) from a material archive you are also not allowed to sell it as you most likely pulled it from a library rather than made it yourself. You can not convert the .mtl to a .dds...that should be clear, you can only convert the diffuse and shadermaps (these are pictures) referenced in your .mtl to dds.

Your model has to be unwrapped (uv mapped) as well.

Can you please share a screenshot of your model and how you textured it (the diffuse map) for us to know what you would like to convert.

To be perfectly clear: there is zero way that you can upload .mtl and .obj and sell it on the store, you need to convert your media.
There is no material file that can be imported into game guru. They all source from .fx shaders already present in game guru.

-Wolf
firecat
Years of Service
User Offline
ya know what forget it, first i cant use game guru because it requires a gaming computer like requirements and now i can't support players with their game. i'm going to ask a refund, i got nothing from this just some broken website with broken game.

p.s blender is outdated , people refuse to accept the fact and no evidence of pixar using blender for their animations/movies.
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2016 06:20 Edited at: 6th Feb 2016 06:23
Whether Blender is 'outdated' or not is irrelevant much the same as the Wavefront obj Wiki describing "The MTL format, although still widely used, is outdated", since those vray 'materials' you are talking about won't be going into any game engine any time soon. If you were willing to take the time to learn you might find that you get a handle on it all really quick, with some help from around here from those who actually know what they are talking about and trying to help you out. but you seem to insist on blaming the software for not meeting your 'requirements' instead of admitting you don't have a clue........it is a pity because if you let it go you might learn there is a big difference between game engines and modeling apps and eventually get your models up to the store. I will be honest here...if you could model and texture with experience you would know what these guys are talking about..I think your attitude to this comes from your lack of knowledge, not trying to put you down and I would be the first to admit I don't know it all, but you should rethink things with a more open and honest attitude if you want to get anywhere.
Of course if it was your sole intent to make models, slap vray materials on them and upload to the store for a quick buck then you should certainly get a refund, but no one misled you, you just don't understand how game engines work.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2016 10:13 Edited at: 6th Feb 2016 10:48
Quote: "p.s blender is outdated , people refuse to accept the fact and no evidence of pixar using blender for their animations/movies."

They use RenderMan mainly, but they also use Blender, they actually collaborated with the Blender community and produced a bridge called RenderMan4Blender so they could use both, I know, I spent time in Pixars animation studios some years back helping them with the transition from film to digital when I was working for Kodak (oddly enough that was a long time before I even wanted to start 3d modelling, must have been fate lol).

Blender is also used by NASA along with Blender4Web to produce their publicly available models.

It was also used in Spider Man 2, where it was primarily used to create animatics and pre-visualizations for the storyboard department.

"As an animatic artist working in the storyboard department of Spider-Man 2, I used Blender's 3D modeling and character animation tools to enhance the storyboards, re-creating sets and props, and putting into motion action and camera moves in 3D space to help make Sam Raimi's vision as clear to other departments as possible. – Anthony Zierhut, Animatic Artist, Los Angeles."

The History Channel and Nat Geo, both use Blender, about 20% of the animations in "Modern Marvels" and some of the models in Walking with Dinosaurs were made in Blender.

It's also been used in many commercials, for companies like; Coca Cola, Unilever, Rosinka, Compass Bank, BMW, Hugo Boss, Heinekin, and many more.

Special effects for episode 6 of Red Dwarf season X were confirmed being created using Blender by half of Gecko Animation, Ben Simonds. The company responsible for the special effects, Gecko Animation, uses Blender for multiple projects, including Red Dwarf. The episode screened in 2012.

Oh yeah and Gecko Animation, one of the largest special effects and animation studios for television in the world use Blender.
firecat
Years of Service
User Offline
@Belidos you are a horrible liar - http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/7/4074956/pixar-senior-scientist-derose-explains-how-math-makes-movies-games

http://techreport.com/news/28009/pixar-renderman-software-now-free-for-non-commercial-use

@rolfy it really is the software, a fanboy like you can't understand how old the software becomes. 3D modeling has gotten better while blender has gotten old and struggling to keep up. the plug-in for all we know could never work, that will ruin everything for blender. Also no it was for free, but since no one can upload them without requirements that needs to be program is crazy.

i been told from the description that i dont need to learn how to code, i thought this was art friendly but no. game guru is way too broken to do anything.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2016 14:16 Edited at: 6th Feb 2016 14:20
Nothing in them links says I'm a liar. I said clearly they mostly use RenderMan, they also use Blender running alongside RenderMan using a plugin to bridge them. If you actually read the article you linked you will see it states that RenderMan is not a 3D modelling program, it's a piece of software that takes assets from 3D modelling programs and puts them together to create scenes, they build and create the models in programs like Blender, add the animations and then import them into RenderMan to build the final scenes, additional rendering, shading and physics, and add additional lighting, RenderMan is basically a film making equivalent of a game engine, not a 3D modeller.

You're grasping at straws.

Blender has not gotten behind and Is not struggling to keep up, it's still constantly receiving monthly updates and is on par with the top software out there, it's being used by a long list of porffessional companies across the world.

If you think a plugin might break the software because its free then greener than you're cabbage looking.

As to programming, i agree GameGuru could have an easier method of scripting your games, however you don't need to learn programming to use gameguru, you can make a perfectly fine game using all the basics provided for you, you only need to learn any of the LUA stuff if you want to create custom stuff. Just like anything else in life, if you want a product to do more than it does out of the box you have to put some effort into it.
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2016 14:43 Edited at: 6th Feb 2016 14:50
Quote: "game guru is way too broken to do anything."

i would ask a refund ... thats maybe better for all of us.
edit: even i as a fanboy, if possible will refund you.
bye

Harry
Harry
PM
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2016 15:08 Edited at: 6th Feb 2016 15:15
@firecat

You have experienced community members telling you very useful and accurate information, some of which have uploaded hundreds of items to the store. The issue is you don't want to hear what they are telling you.

The question of blender being outdated or not is irrelevant, by the way it is more than capable of doing anything you need it to. They have given you the info you needed, there are many choices for modelling programs, if for some reason you can't just use blender to convert files. The file formats we use on the store (.x and .dds) are some of the most popular for use in games and are exportable from loads of applications.

Before even considering uploading to the store you should get a handle on how to create models for GameGuru, not knowing how the fpe files work will almost certainly be a reason you will fail the store approval process. Not knowing that GameGuru only supports .x as a model format means you haven't even bothered to read the upload guide.

I am locking this thread as you have an answer and the attitude is starting to get old.
Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz (Passmark: 9021), 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked (Passmark: 8056)
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 14:15:25
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 14:15:25