Website/Forum Feedback / Store Suggestions

Author
User Banned
Posted: 21st Dec 2015 06:22
Hi, just want to make a couple of suggestions for the store page.

Easily return to site.
First, a button that returns you to the main GameGuru site. For example replace the "GameGuru Asset Store" link in the top right hand corner with "Return to main GameGuru site", or have the links from the main GG site that lead to other sites on a different domain open in a new tab,sowe can at least keep the main site open.

Content Instructions.
Any item that's not plug n play, e.g scripts that need some setting and tweaking up to work, have a guide on it's store page, a readme file or whatever.
Makes sense imho. You buy a product it needs setting up just refer to it's product page or a manual that is in game or something instead of having to search through forums hoping to find what you need to get things working.

Store description formatting
Many of the store items product descriptions do not seem to have any formatting to them.

I'll use Moshrooms RPG Module as an example.

Quote: "The RPG Module consists of 3 parts: RPG Menu, RPG Shop and Action RPG Battle Mechanics for ai_fantasycharacter (or "RPG AI").- RPG Menu: Player can access his/her Inventory, change Equipment, see his/her Status and edit Options.- RPG Shop: Player can buy Items, Equipment and Accessory with Gold. Player can get Gold by killing RPG AI characters.- RPG AI: Changes game's battle mechanics to action RPG. Player's attack and defence powers are based on player's Power and Vitality scores and Equipment. The possible attack distance is based on player's Sight score and the possible attack frequency on Agility. If player tries to attack from too far away, the enemy is missed. If player tries to attack too fast, the enemy evades. The scores get higher as player aquires EXP through killing enemies.The scripts are optimized for fantasy style / 3rd person view, but work with modern 1st person games too. However note that with weapons that fire multiple shots at once, only 1 shot is counted as hit and others evaded unless player has fully mastered the Agility stat (Agility more than 100).The scripts are compatible with my previous open access Save Point / Load Point scripts and Magic scripts found in this thread:https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/213084This pack also includes bonus script that combines the RPG Menu and Save Point / Load Point scripts. It's nearly pointless to use it without my other scripts and therefore it's only available as a part of a pack.NOTE: These scripts may conflict with existing or future implementations of a similar feature provided in the core product, and users are recommended to research any existing functionality provided before purchasing this pack."

No paragraphing, bad spacing and links are not links. It's a jammed together eye hurting confusing mess.
Noticed most if not all store content descriptions are like this. It's kind of amateurish looking.

Get on top of approvals or mark items waiting to be approved.
Bought the RPG Module by Moshroom above a couple of days ago. One of the included scripts is not there, the individual page for it is down. I only have 3 of the 4 scripts, and one of the scripts I needed most of all, the Shop module.
Luckily I was able to find Moshroom on his youtube account and he informed me that that particular script had been updated and he was awaiting TGC approval.

There should be a warning when a store asset is down for whatever reason including an ETA of when it is likely to return.
Even now I still have no indication of when I can download that script.

Which brings me to......
Better customer support.
I inquired via the Green Help Button about the script not being available and being unable to download it and it's page just giving a 'Object not available This object is not available.' message.

Which Moshroom himself quickly and easily explained the situation, but from TGC all I have gotten is this email:

Quote: "
Richard Vanner
wrote
yesterday 19:43 (20 hours ago)
Hi Rabid,

All store issues are now being dealt with directly by Dave Hawkins. You should email him direct here; davehawkins@thegamecreators.com

Sincerely,
Richard Vanner"

Seriously I have to lodge a ticket to then get an email a day or so later telling me to email someone else?
Especially for what seems to be a simple to explain matter.
If this Dave Hawkins is the guy who deals with Store support should not he be answering the store related tickets?

So yes, please fix that. Support should be support, If Richard is the guy who receives the tickets would it not make more sense that he forwarded the ticket to Dave instead of emailing me to tell me I have to email someone else?
Would of taken less time to do that surely, than adding an extra unnecessary step to the matter.

Support should have access to such information, an up to date list of items awaiting approval or that have been removed and why they've been removed.

My main bread and butter is website and hosting related services, I manage a few e-commerce stores and such for my clients amongst many other things, when people are buying products I and my clients are on call 24/7 for support for those purchasing items. While being realistic that sometimes you cannot respond right away, we'd never think to email someone "No idea, contact someone else" in regards to a customers purchase.
From experience you lose customers and reputation pretty quickly doing as such.

We're taking their money, they have a right to expect the product they're buying, if it's not available we list "out of stock" with info on when it will be available. An informed customer is a happy customer, especially once they've handed over their money.

Any way thanks for taking the time to read and here's hoping my feedback is taken on board.
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2015 14:42 Edited at: 21st Dec 2015 14:44
Thank you very much for the detailed feedback it always helps, keep it coming.

Quote: "First, a button that returns you to the main GameGuru site. For example replace the "GameGuru Asset Store" link in the top right hand corner with "Return to main GameGuru site", or have the links from the main GG site that lead to other sites on a different domain open in a new tab,sowe can at least keep the main site open."

At the top of the store to the right of the search bar, there is a "Get GameGuru" button this will take you back to the main site.

Quote: "Any item that's not plug n play, e.g scripts that need some setting and tweaking up to work, have a guide on it's store page, a readme file or whatever.
Makes sense imho. You buy a product it needs setting up just refer to it's product page or a manual that is in game or something instead of having to search through forums hoping to find what you need to get things working."

We plan to do this, at the moment artists can choose to include a text file with the download so check to see if there is one.

Quote: "Many of the store items product descriptions do not seem to have any formatting to them."

This is all up to each artist, they can format the text nicely if they don't it is up to them. I suggest contacting the artist and giving them this feedback directly, maybe they can improve future products.

Quote: "There should be a warning when a store asset is down for whatever reason including an ETA of when it is likely to return.
Even now I still have no indication of when I can download that script."

A good point I will discuss this.

Quote: "customer support"

Regarding all you have said about customer support, we are currently moving to a new support ticket system and things may be a bit confused while we do this. Normally the support staff are very good at helping and staff do have the tools to assist you, just a case of bad timing I think.
Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz (Passmark: 9021), 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked (Passmark: 8056)
PM
Rabid
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Dec 2015 05:41
Quote: "Thank you very much for the detailed feedback it always helps, keep it coming."

No doubt I shall

Quote: "At the top of the store to the right of the search bar, there is a "Get GameGuru" button this will take you back to the main site."

Ha, my bad, I'll blame lack of sleep. For some reason I thought that would take me to another store page or Steam. I shall try and be a bit more attentive in future.

Quote: "We plan to do this, at the moment artists can choose to include a text file with the download so check to see if there is one."

Good to hear, might be an idea to tell sellers to include one now though or at least have a link in the description a link to their thread if one exists with instructions until it is implemented.
Might also be an idea to have them install the readme into the GG docs folder also for ease of finding. Looked and no, no readme with the assets I have purchased.
Time to go a huntin for the thread.

Quote: "This is all up to each artist, they can format the text nicely if they don't it is up to them. I suggest contacting the artist and giving them this feedback directly, maybe they can improve future products.
"

Yeah not really wanting to contact every artist and say "grammar and punctuation PLZ!!!". Maybe TGC can mass mail content providers and make the recommendations or make it so it's specified when adding content to the store that good formatting is encouraged?

Quote: "A good point I will discuss this."

Can you inform us of how long content approval takes? Still waiting on that script....... Be nice to have an idea of when I'll be able to download and use it.

Quote: "just a case of bad timing I think."

Yeah I do have a reputation for having bad luck and shitty timing among both friends and foes alike.
Here's hoping the new system is in place and working soon.

Thanks for your reply.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
The approval process is generally a day or 2 but longer if its a weekend.
The store is going through changes right now with the removal of free items though so naturally a lot of content is getting resubmitted at a low price to counter this meaning there's a lot of stuff to process.

And its Xmas holidays so its bound to be slower than normal, everything is accepted and checked manually, he's not a robot
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Rabid
User Banned
Posted: 30th Dec 2015 06:28
Quote: "he's not a robot"

I'd be rather impressed if he was.

And yes delays do happen and holidays and the unexpected and this is why it is good to keep customers informed.
Most people arefine when they're in the know.
But most will have a fit if they hand over money for something and then sit there empty handed and clueless.
Most customers will not care about behinds the scene. It is just the mentality of most. They're just thinking of the money they're giving out. Not that it is a weekend,or that it is Christmas, or that someone in the company just moved house just that
'hey it's the weekend and if I can buy this on a weekend then I should be able to get this on the weekend and I should be able to get support for my purchase on the weekend.'

The average consumer has no idea if a company is one guy or 1000 guys. They expect insert money here receive product there, push button for support here. Not that they should need to know or care. It's on the company,not the customer to work around it and have solutions in place.

But it's easy enough to do, and requires virtually no effort on behalf of TGC, just a simple message on the products page:

"Hi, this product is currently under review by TGC and will be available to purchase/download on approximately (insert date and time here), we thank you for you patience."

2 seconds of typing and no robots required Win Win for everybody.

Client knows when they're getting what they have paid for, can wait until it's back on store before buying, and TGC doesn't have to deal with a potential flood of support tickets.

I am honestly one guy running his business, I have no staff, so I know both how hard yet how more often than not how incredibly easy it can be. If one guy can do it, I am sure a handful can.

Any ways TGC customer support and dev interaction has been fairly good mostly so far for me, just needs a little spit and polish I feel.

Also I am just offering feedback and suggestions to help TGC improve it's customer experience. Excuses are not needed or necessary.
-i5-3570k - Galax GTX970 - 8GB Kingston DDR3 - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - ASRock Z77 Extreme6-
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 30th Dec 2015 09:39
Quote: "hey it's the weekend and if I can buy this on a weekend then I should be able to get this on the weekend"

Sales are instant, you can download the item as soon as you pay for it whether it's a weekday, the weekend, or the queens aunts best friends dogs birthday. If the item is being updated then it won't appear on the store for you to buy in the first place.
Rabid
User Banned
Posted: 30th Dec 2015 17:28
Quote: "Sales are instant, you can download the item as soon as you pay for it whether it's a weekday, the weekend, or the queens aunts best friends dogs birthday. If the item is being updated then it won't appear on the store for you to buy in the first place."

Yep I realise this now.

But then again I made some comments in my previous posts about the situation and it not being related to a single item:
Quote: "Rabid had said:
Bought the RPG Module by Moshroom above a couple of days ago. One of the included scripts is not there, the individual page for it is down. I only have 3 of the 4 scripts, and one of the scripts I needed most of all, the Shop module.
Luckily I was able to find Moshroom on his youtube account and he informed me that that particular script had been updated and he was awaiting TGC approval."

It was a pack and it was only after the purchase and my attempt to download the items that I noticed one script missing.
Going to the individual items page I was met with "Object not found" type of message with no indication of why the script was not in my purchase.

And that is where my problem was. No message of it being under review and temporarily removed from the store. No quick easy answer via tech support of "Hey it's under review and will be back soon", instead told to email someone else....
I only discovered it was under review and not available by tracking down the creator via his youtube channel.
So buying in a pack you can indeed instantly buy unavailable items.

Anyways I got the script eventually, just hoping my issues are addressed to stop some new customer from going through similar if they buy a pack.

I mean I commend items being reviewed and quality assurance that comes with that, but even if a single item is unavailable for purchase you need more than what amounts to "404 page not found" on a store and support telling a customer ' email someone else", and packs also should have a "warning part of this content is unavailable".

People should not have to run around the internet and trawl through forums to find the answer to such a simple problem/question imho, especially new users who aren't used to how things are run,it can be quite off putting from a consumer stand point.

But oh well all's well that ends well and TGC thankfully seems to take feedback on board so here's hoping it's all sorted in the near future.
-i5-3570k - Galax GTX970 - 8GB Kingston DDR3 - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - ASRock Z77 Extreme6-
=VX=Doggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2015 04:25
About sales being instant , I made a purchase, had a few days of errors ,but finally got that fixed , and was able to download my items. But a model I didnt know I needed was in the store for free . I had previously downloaded items for X9 this month, and so GG store wont let me download the item saying there is a limit of free downloads . I would have gladly paid for this item if I had the option .

But I have now noticed that the artists had made forum posts with these items for free, and then a Dev would ask them if they could be added to the store . I'd ask that artists making free items please keep an external link for the items, so we can download them easier , or remove the download limit from the store . If the artists dont mind. Thanks
PM
Rabid
User Banned
Posted: 31st Dec 2015 06:31 Edited at: 31st Dec 2015 06:36
@#NAME there has recently been a discussion about this on steam.
You can join in here:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/266310/discussions/0/487877107148784933/

TGC for now is removing/neutering all free assets on the store apparently. They had a chat among themselves and the content creators apparently and made a few decisions that only now many regular GG users are becoming aware of it.

Ideas are being thrown about as to how to overcome the current restrictions and keeping free content on the store. (The decision for free content caps and removal is the bandwidth costs associated with people downloading free items. Apparently it costs TGC more than they make or something.)

But for the time being it looks as if free content will go, or stay at the 5 a month cap, with creators of free content being encouraged to use the forums and private file hosting services to host their files for download.

So yeah definitely go add your 2 cents worth on the matter.
=VX=Doggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2015 22:12
Thanks Rabid ,I will .
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
I wasn't offering excuses but a possible reason, however I understand and agree with what you have said and especially that it should not be the customers job to search for this information.

I think the pack issue is actually an oversight on the store part and hopefully 'the next' will be able to find a solution to make packs unavailable to purchase while it has missing parts.
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Rabid
User Banned
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 11:04
@smallg, sorry if I came off as rude, I just tend to be a bit blunt in my approach to things, and yeah I am sure they will get it all sorted. For all my current gripes with GameGuru, I cannot fault TGC's interaction with customers and their willingness to actually listen to feedback.
Moshroom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2016 12:20
I noticed, that my script is mentioned here so I need to add one more thing:
Quote: "No paragraphing, bad spacing and links are not links. It's a jammed together eye hurting confusing mess.
Noticed most if not all store content descriptions are like this. It's kind of amateurish looking."

Quote: "This is all up to each artist, they can format the text nicely if they don't it is up to them. I suggest contacting the artist and giving them this feedback directly, maybe they can improve future products."

No, in packs it actually isn't. Every non-space between dot and capital in the description of my RPG pack should have been change of paragraph. For some reason in the store page it's shown in one paragraph only. In individual scripts the description works correctly (but without links).
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2016 19:48
Moshroom

I found a bug that causes what you mentioned just after posting my reply. For future packs it shouldn't be an issue, if you are worried about packs already on the store you can alter the description and that should fix it.
Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz (Passmark: 9021), 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked (Passmark: 8056)
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 04:54:09
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 04:54:09