Competitions / Time for a new competition.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Isn't it time for a new comp? With the year ending and a shiny new engine it definitely time I say.
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 18th Nov 2015 06:37
Pretty sure it is Holidays is a upon us, meaning people will have a lot more time
Win7 pro, Intel 2500K @3.7ghz 660GTX 8gig ram 16tb HDD
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Will give this release a thorough testing, I am finding all sorts of oddities such as no more .bin files being created, I also wanted rid of that troll thread which had been created and deleted and was still showing as posted on this board
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2015 08:58
Quote: "that troll thread which had been created and deleted and was still showing as posted on this board"
Lol that is one way of going about it :p
Slaur3n
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2015 12:19
Yes!
Visit our FB site and like
https://www.facebook.com/crowhillstudiosofficial
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2015 06:45
Quote: "I also wanted rid of that troll thread which had been created and deleted and was still showing as posted on this board"
yes i always saw this "ljuidfsdgfshj" like thread in the main screen.
a new competetion would be nice. it depends on what it's about but yes, great
http://www.nuncio-rap.de
intel core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz; 8GB RAM // NVIDIA GeForce GTX560Ti
N1warhead
Years of Service
User Offline
I think a Christmas-y like Competition would definitely be suitable, I mean after-all it's that time of the year now lol.
But depends what it's ultimately about.

Optimization,
Graphics,
Story,
Etc.
8 Core AMD 5.0Ghz
8 Gigs Ram
Gfx Card - Radeon R9 290 4 Gigs.
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 20th Nov 2015 23:23
I'm not fond of theme based competitions. A developer should be free to make whatever theme they want. I do think it's time we had another competition though. It would be nice if it were a no holds barred sort without restrictions on what can and cannot be done. The first competition was the best by far, which allowed entrants to do whatever they wanted and however they wanted. But, I think it would be cool to have categories and a range of prizes similar to what the IGMC did.
System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
N1warhead
Years of Service
User Offline
I was just throwing the idea out there, I've just seen a lot of people go off theme based.
And ooo prizes (Drops product I'm working on) practices for the GameJam! lol.
8 Core AMD 4.0Ghz
8 Gigs Ram
Gfx Card - Radeon R9 290 4 Gigs.
PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

We don't feel it's quite right to run a competition yet, as we are planning a lot of big improvements to the engine that will open up a lot of possibilities. Quite a few of these will happen before the DirectX11 release as we are intend to give the developer a lot more power through scripting as well as eventually the IDE.

As a side note, the reason we often choose themes is that we like to use the competition winners as showcase developments that can assist users and this often means restricting media, genres, etc.

We will run another competition though so don't panic.

SC
i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2015 19:01
I'm thinking about one prize: a pc full compatible with GG.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Johno 15
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2015 22:11 Edited at: 4th Dec 2015 22:12
That'd need to be one helluva PC
'Judge a man not by his answers. But by his questions.'
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2015 22:14
3com wrote: "I'm thinking about one prize: a pc full compatible with GG. "

lol - We go the prize sorted then!

All we need are the details for the comp...

OldFlak....
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080.
Windows 8.1 64-bit. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
Shadow man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2015 02:01 Edited at: 20th Dec 2015 02:29
Quote: "As a side note, the reason we often choose themes is that we like to use the competition winners as showcase developments that can assist users and this often means restricting media, genres, etc.
"

I think this was ok in the past, restricting media to stock assets only to show new users
what they can do with what is included with GG was fine back then, but time has moved
on, if you want to showcase what GG can really do, then there should be no restrictions
at all, give GG users free reign to do whatever they want.
When I look on other game engine web sites, they showcase the very best that those
engines can do,.....stock media or not,.....they simply show what " can " be done in those
engines,.....I think it is finally time for GG to do the same thing,....... unless of course every
other game engine web site out there has got it wrong.
Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1, Intel CPU G530 @ 2,40GHz, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GT730 2GB GDDR5,
Patriot Blast SSD, DX11.
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2015 17:05
Quote: "I think this was ok in the past, restricting media to stock assets only to show new users
what they can do with what is included with GG was fine back then, but time has moved
on, if you want to showcase what GG can really do, then there should be no restrictions
at all, give GG users free reign to do whatever they want.
When I look on other game engine web sites, they showcase the very best that those
engines can do,.....stock media or not,.....they simply show what " can " be done in those
engines,.....I think it is finally time for GG to do the same thing,....... unless of course every
other game engine web site out there has got it wrong. "
The problem with custom media is not every one is willing to share that content for various reason meaning, you may end of with zero demo's for the engine to showcase.Which would defeat the purpose which is why it is restricted to stock media, or custom content with fair warning that the winning entry will need to supply media to be included with the engine.

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2015 18:10
Anyway TGC can make a competition with education purpose (stock media only), and another one with showcase purpose (custom media), save as standalone with all the media encripted, and everyone happy. Just my thoughs.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2015 10:11
or maybe TGC can give a specially created pack of entities away, and the competition entry has to be made using that pack and stock media. That would have been a good christmas pressie to us all as well.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, AMD HD7870 gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The problem with custom media is not every one is willing to share that content for various reason meaning, you may end of with zero demo's for the engine to showcase."
They seem to have stuck to winning demo's they only include with the package. As you say media included.... I see no reason why all winning entries in a competition should be obliged to hand over their custom media. Personally I wouldn't bother entering another if that were the case, there is absolutely no good reason for it, so I don't think the problem is with entrants unwilling to part with media more than it is TGC expecting them to do so. You wont get me parting with weeks of custom work for the same deal as someone using only stock.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 23rd Dec 2015 09:28
Quote: "They seem to have stuck to winning demo's they only include with the package. As you say media included.... I see no reason why all winning entries in a competition should be obliged to hand over their custom media. Personally I wouldn't bother entering another if that were the case, there is absolutely no good reason for it, so I don't think the problem is with entrants unwilling to part with media more than it is TGC expecting them to do so. You wont get me parting with weeks of custom work for the same deal as someone using only stock."

While I agree that personal media is personal and they shouldn't have to give it to anyone if they don't want to, how would those who are reviewing it for the competition be able to review it if they don't have the custom media? Half the maps would be blank and the games wouldn't work properly.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2015 09:37 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2015 09:42
In previous competitions TGC wanted to include any winning entries in the GG package and any custom media you had in your entry was to be made available to users, judges don't need open content to play a game.
Judges don't receive maps but standalones, it can be encrypted just like any game out there, any winning entries had to agree to provide the custom content to TGC to distribute with GameGuru this even applied to a basic level competition.
I think we may have reached the stage where they aren't going to receive any entries with custom media or at least with very little of it in future comps if they continue this policy.
I don't know much about other engines and their Indie comps but reckon you would be hard put to find one that expected you to hand over your custom media for inclusion in their product.
Shadow man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2016 02:48 Edited at: 1st Jan 2016 02:57
Quote: "The problem with custom media is not every one is willing to share that content for various reason meaning, you may end of with zero demo's for the engine to showcase.Which would defeat the purpose which is why it is restricted to stock media, or custom content with fair warning that the winning entry will need to supply media to be included with the engine.
"

Good point Mr id.

Quote: "Anyway TGC can make a competition with education purpose (stock media only), and another one with showcase purpose (custom media), save as standalone with all the media encripted, and everyone happy. Just my thoughs."

That's one good idea.

Quote: "or maybe TGC can give a specially created pack of entities away, and the competition entry has to be made using that pack and stock media. That would have been a good christmas pressie to us all as well. "

That would be nice,...not sure TGC would want to do that though.

Quote: "They seem to have stuck to winning demo's they only include with the package. "

Yes they did, and I again think that was ok back then, but how many more levels can be made
using the same old stock media ?, I think what can be done with that has already been done,
and with enough variations, to great effect already, in my opinion, it's time to move on.

Quote: "While I agree that personal media is personal and they shouldn't have to give it to anyone if they don't want to, how would those who are reviewing it for the competition be able to review it if they don't have the custom media? Half the maps would be blank and the games wouldn't work properly."

Very true.

Quote: "I don't know much about other engines and their Indie comps but reckon you would be hard put to find one that expected you to hand over your custom media for inclusion in their product."

I agree with that also.

All good points, so the question is then gents,....in your opinions, what should TGC do next, comp wise ?.
I,m sure they have their own ideas, but a little bit of " influence " from the community might be
taken on board,.....hopefully,......, especially as TGC like to say they are a community driven
company,.....so if that is really true,.... let's tell them then.
Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1, Intel CPU G530 @ 2,40GHz, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GT730 2GB GDDR5,
Patriot Blast SSD, DX11.
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2016 12:29 Edited at: 1st Jan 2016 13:22
Quote: "While I agree that personal media is personal and they shouldn't have to give it to anyone if they don't want to, how would those who are reviewing it for the competition be able to review it if they don't have the custom media? Half the maps would be blank and the games wouldn't work properly

Very true."

I think we need to state it again...TGC do not need the media to judge competition entries. A standalone is all they need and these are packed with the encrypted media required, that's how they received past entries (not maps) they do not need to 'own' any of your custom media as a requirement for entry, that's just been a TGC 'thing'.

On a kind of side note to this the only time you are going to find yourself 'stiffed' like this is if you try to sell your multiplayer game and find that your customers and their friends all need to also buy Game Guru to play it together, at this time anyhow. Even though your game may be fully 100% custom your all going to need GG to play together, but none of the other players need to 'own' the media, just the engine.

With all the media available in the store now I don't see limiting comp entries to stock only being very appealing and TGC won't be expecting any entries containing store media to be made available to them when somebody other than the original artist uses it in their entry. So things have now changed.

If they were to simply accept standalone entries without the requirement of media ownership they might just finally have some downloadable demos of playable games for their website instead of screenshots of game levels which come with the software.

They still need to finish up the encryption process for ALL media including scripts before they consider anything else all the same.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 13:41:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 13:41:00