Work In Progress / Safe Haven [WIP]

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2015 12:38 Edited at: 17th Nov 2015 12:48
Safe Haven

Developer: RustyNuts

Storyline: It's been 14 months since the infection went global. Life as I knew it changed forever, my family and friends taken by this deadly disease. Each one turned into dead but not dead monsters. Each day I make the same decision.. 'give up or move on'. So why not just give up? because I believe there are more than just me left, why? because of the message that was put out across all radio and web base networks, before communication was lost. It was played so many time I now can't hear anything else, "Get to the SafeHaven". A base the goverment claims to be fortified with 12ft high walls, and armed soldiers. A place said to contain huge stocks of food, water and everyday items. A place where I have a chance of making a new life out of this nightmare, a place I can keep warm, a place I can sleep soundly at night, but most of all a place I know will be safe! and today..........

I finally made it.

That's it for now, but any advice,suggestions, or criticism is always welcome...

RustyNuts
Lenovo G700 Laptop,i3-6gb ram,Nvidia GT720m
PM
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2015 13:10
Great level design, can't wait to see more
PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Geforce 760gtx 2GB
Laptop - Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Core i7-3632QM processor, 8GB of RAM, 1Tb Hdd, Nvidia Geforce GT 740m
PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2015 13:21
that's looking nice!
http://www.nuncio-rap.de
intel core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz; 8GB RAM // NVIDIA GeForce GTX560Ti
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 17th Nov 2015 14:38
Really great job.

Some notes.

It is a bit dark, edge up the bloom a bit.
Make it slightly brighter.
If you prefer to keep it dark, change the sky to match, partly cloudy sky like that it would still be brighter.
Add a little fog, not too much just a wee bit.
Too much grass, tone the grass back so that it makes a path the player needs to follow as a visual clue.
Reduce the grass size a wee bit.
Angle the fences a bit, as well as move them, every thing is perfectly align, it's neat and tidy where it shouldn't be considering the disaster feel to it, would definitely add a bit more chaos.
Considering the growth on the walls, grass and decay, the tent is untouched and looks out of place.

Win7 pro, Intel 2500K @3.7ghz 660GTX 8gig ram 16tb HDD
RustyNuts
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2015 15:17 Edited at: 17th Nov 2015 15:22
Thanks Emrys and nuncio a couple of good post to start with is always a positive. Wizard of Id my heart sank when I noticed you had made a comment, but as I stated 'suggestions, or criticism is always welcome' I have very little knowledge in game design but from seeing what others have done in this board I wanted to try at least to provide something that would be worthy of this board and also to show what GG can do. I have spent many an hour tweeking the sliders and just when I think it looks right, someone comes along with a better screen shot and I think ' I want mine to look like that!!' I will of course take all your comments on board (who wouldn't your WOI) and I will of course be keeping this thread up to date as often as i can.

Thanks
RustyNuts
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2015 15:23
@RustyNuts

Lol rusty, don't worry like what you have done , just needs a little tweaking That said I don't normally reply in WIP threads but yours caught my eye, and liked what you did
RustyNuts
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2015 14:49 Edited at: 18th Nov 2015 14:51
Ok so have spent a bit of time taking WOI's words of wisdom into account and this is what I have done to try and improve on what I had already...

Changed the fence texture
Changed the slab texture
Moved and rotated slabs and fence's to create a more damaged look
Changed tent texture
Added ivy to the tent
Added more entity's to create a more damaged look
Made level lighter
Reduced grass size and height

Here's how it looks now..........

And as always any advice,suggestions, or criticism is always welcome...

RustyNuts
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2015 15:52
Looking good

Just a small thing I noticed with the fences.
If can model would be straight forward, perhaps some paper decals, of plastic bags, wind likes blowing these things into fences, simple, and low polygon effect would break up the slightly over powering fence, in the scene.

Definitely try to obscure the players view here a bit, it is a big area, making bit by bit visible or sections good do wonders here.

But definitely not neat and tidy any more, doesn't welcome the player and is creepy Great job !
RustyNuts
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2015 16:08
@WOI Just before I started uploading the new screens I did think about exactly what you suggested.... carrier bags, or some form of letter or maybe a banner, or poster, but I thought it might be a bit over the top!!! lol
PM
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 18th Nov 2015 17:31 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 10:55
Your level design is spot. Take into account what WOI said and this will be looking extremely good!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 15:38:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 15:38:33