Off Topic / I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some graphics card advice please

Author
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: witcher 3
Posted: 17th Oct 2015 00:17 Edited at: 17th Oct 2015 00:28
I have a gtx 760 2gb and I was looking at upgrading it. I was looking at a sapphire radeon nitro r9 380 4gb and from everything I've been reading it seems like a pretty good card and it's cheap(and I'm a cheapskate). I've never bought a AMD card before so I'm not sure how much better it would be but I have read some reviews that say it will run games like the witcher 3 on ultra which seems like a bonus to be using with gameguru too. Does anyone have this card or might be able to tell me how much better it is than my card or maybe have a better suggestion? Thanks in advance!
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2015 06:15
The website hwcompare.com is quite useful for comparing graphics cards. According to the site, the two cards you mentioned are very similar (http://www.hwcompare.com/19987/geforce-gtx-760-vs-radeon-r9-380-4g/). There is also an issue with The Witcher 3 and AMD cards - the highest quality settings for hair are optimised for Nvidia cards, not AMD cards (quite a controversial issue - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-does-nvidia-hairworks-really-sabotage-amd-performance).
mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2015 16:48
Thanks gtox! I will have to bookmark that site. I was also looking at a radeon r9 290 which another site was comparing to a gtx titan but everything I read was saying it ran extremely hot. I seem to remember reading about amd cards not working as well with some games but their cards seem a lot better priced. the hairworks is a cool feature but as long as everything else ran better I wouldn't be too disappointed. But as you say, if this card is pretty similar it wouldn't really be much of an upgrade besides the 4gb of vram. I don't really know the hierarchy of amd cards so that site should come in handy. Thanks again
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2015 21:47
For the same specs, AMD cards are generally cheaper, but many games are made hand in hand with Nvidia and are optimised for Nvidia, so you have to factor that in.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
i would go nvidia just because they are generally better supported by all games.
if you want to save money then get something that isn't overclocked and do it yourself (if you want to & feel happy to) - but most importantly take a look around different sites and see if you can find something on sale (especially as it's not urgent, you'll be surprised what you can find)
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2015 23:44
I thought about over clocking my card and looked up how to do it but I kind of fear burning it up though. the 760 2gb has been pretty good to me so far but quite a few games I have could use the extra vram for higher textures and such and I figured instead of buying the same card with 4gb I might as well get something faster. From what you guys are saying it sounds like amd might not be the way to go. I've always used nvidia so I never really bothered looking in to everything about amd until the last few days. Besides Amazon/ebay/newegg do you guys have any suggestions on a good place to buy for better prices? Thanks for all the input by the way!
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2015 21:11
I'm not sure that overclocking a video card is a great idea. Unlike CPU overclocking, the performance increase is negligible, and not really worth the risk. Rather spend a bit more money for a faster card.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm not sure that overclocking a video card is a great idea. Unlike CPU overclocking, the performance increase is negligible, and not really worth the risk. Rather spend a bit more money for a faster card."

the point is that most "gaming" cards come overclocked already and as such they charge more for it and just call it a fancy name.
i agree it's very small increase but if you're going to pay extra money for it then you may as well do it yourself (unless you're worried about the warranty)
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2015 06:45
@smallg - true, but I was suggesting paying more for a better card, not an overclocked one
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2015 13:56
I'm using a GTX970 and happy with it. You can overclock it, if you want to.
No problems with all the games at the moment. GTA 5 is running smooth.
Only GG has a problem.... Well, but I've heard they are working on it.
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2015 16:38
the gtx 970 seems to be quite a good card. According to the site gtox provided me with (thanks again, it's been very helpful) it wouldn't be too awful much of an improvement over my card. the radeon r9 290 seems to be a beast of a card that's running about $234 at the moment on Amazon which is cheaper than my card and runs twice as fast. The problem being amd not being as widely supported as nvidia and the card seems to run very hot which makes me wonder if it would put the rest of my computer in danger without a beefed up cooling system. Although, I believe I read the card blows the air out of the back of the computer so that might not be a problem. But even if the card has that much power, if the games fight with it what good is it? By the way , is this a massive amount of games that fight with amd or just a few here and there. And would it be game breaking problems? As you can tell I'm really hoping someone can sell me on the cheaper amd card
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2015 21:08
I doubt that the issues would be game-breaking. I think that there are some high end features (like the hair in The Witcher 3) that would be affected, not the general performance of the game. I'm also seriously considering AMD when I next upgrade - it depends on what's available when I make the upgrade.
You can look at this thread http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2017040/amd-nvidia-gaming.html, but it basically comes down to personal preference. AMD you get more bang for your buck, but the cards run hotter with potential hiccups with certain games. Good luck choosing Most people play it safe and go with Nvidia.
hiredgunz48
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2015 23:57
My personal experience using AMD for both graphics and cpu has been a good one for data work such as databases and graphic work, but then I broke down and bought an nvidia gtx 960 and intel i5 and my gaming performance has improved considerably (State of Decay runs smooth as butter). Little more expensive, but a lot of improvement, at least for me.
Windows 10 64bit, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2 gig GDDR5, 16 gigs ram

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 18:39:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 18:39:27