Off Topic / [LOCKED] Open Questions to the GG Community and TGC

Author
User Banned
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 21:54
First, the following first questions are especially for all those who have spent many years following FPSC and now GG, and have patiently waited for features to be implemented, performance enhancements, DX11 support, C++ code base, world-class editor, more model formats, etc.

What if we suddenly and magically had a core game engine that had all of the following features and more?

Support for 10 platforms including Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, Playstation, XBox, and more
C++ code base and the ability to extend the engine using your own C++
A powerful visual scripting language with access to all engine features
DX11 and DX12 rendering features (HDR, thousands of dynamic lights, tessellation, PBR, and more)
Full source code access
Cinematic system
Advanced terrain and foliage systems
Hot reloading code changes while the game is running
Advanced AI system
Advanced shader pipeline
Integration with tools such as NVIDIA PhysX, Autodesk Gameware, Enlighten, Umbra, Oculus VR and other software libraries
Millions of dollars worth of FREE AAA game content
and more

If so, then wouldn't it be cool if all the things that make GG easy to use over other game engines were added to this core engine as described above? So, suddenly there was no longer a need to worry about core features, performance, quality, low-level access, etc. The only thing we'd be waiting for are the next easy to use feature to make game development a breeze for the beginner and advanced user alike.

Who thinks that would be a good thing?

Now, some questions for TGC. If someone just handed to you for FREE a core engine as described above, wouldn't that save you years of development in making your dream GG engine? No more worrying about core features, shaders, terrain, water, scripting, C++ integration, DX11/12 features, etc. Just time to play all day on making an easy to use pretty face on a beautiful, performance powerhouse, AAA quality core.

I'd appreciate honest thoughts on this and I hope no one shuts this thread down because they feel it is a rule violation. I honestly think this is a fair question for all. And I truly believe that even changing direction at this late stage will not only save a significant amount of time, but could change the landscape of future game development forever.

Also consider this. It wasn't that long ago when I was very vocal about the need for moving to the latest Direct X and a C++ code base and I was told that was not a good decision at the time and yet here we are now doing exactly that. Might my thoughts on this matter also be valid?
System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 23:35
What free core engine are you telling them to use?
gamer, lover, filmmaker
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 23:41
@seppgirty. sent you a PM.
System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Tom you asked users to answer your question ...
Its a pointless thread if your not going to answer and PM them instead ....

I will move it to off topic as it seems to be going nowhere this way ..

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 13th Oct 2015 00:23 Edited at: 13th Oct 2015 00:29
Really, Synchromesh? First off, he didn't answer my questions at all. He asked a question, which was irrelevant to the hypothetical questions I offered. I was already risking a rules violation by posting the question which an astute reader would figure out which engine I was talking about. I chose to respond in private to avoid a rules violation, which I'm supposed to do.

EDIT: I'll add that at this point the questions are just hypotheticals. Even though I do have an engine in mind when I posted this, it's irrelevant unless TGC and the Community really, honestly think the concept has merit and will entertain the idea. Posting the engine name here would be a violation of the rules and I'm just trying to have an honest discussion without being suppressed or the thread locked. Move to off-topic is bad enough already just for trying to avoid a rules violation.
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 13th Oct 2015 01:49 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 14:21
May I see this free core Engine? A good base Engine would be Torque3d. It's open source, licensed under MIT, written in C++ and all in all it has one of the best terrain editors I have come across.

Unfortunately GG seems to be getting bad feedback because of it's "lack" of current features. The problem is, there's no transparency in what the plan is ahead. It's kind of like let's take care of issues as we go along. This influx of negative feedback wouldn't have happened if there was an explicit road map that people could see for what is being planned ahead.

The community voting system is nice but does it really prioritize what's important? E.g, an "inventory" is more important than support for multiple 3d formats?

I would REALLY really love to see is support for atleast Mac and Linux. One thing that could be useful is to create a "wrapper" which wraps the compiled Windows game (.exe) and makes it compatible with Linux and Mac. Neoaxis Engine does this quite well.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2015 04:59
Quote: "Move to off-topic is bad enough already just for trying to avoid a rules violation."

It's not bad at all. It saved the thread from being locked, as it has little to nothing to do with GameGuru. I am curious though; what is the point of coming back here to discuss the engine that we all know you're referring to? Most of the Community here is well aware of the multitude of Game Engines out there; as well as what they have to offer, and at what price-point. So what, exactly, is your purpose in starting a thread that you know may devolve into yet another flamewar?

As far as PMing users here, in an attempt to not "risk a rule violation"; please tell me how that helps anyone who reads this thread? He DID ask you a question that is directly related to your quandary: "What if we suddenly and magically had a core game engine that had all of the following features and more?"

Let me help you out, as I fancy myself at least a little "astute". You're talking about Unity. There; I said it.

Talking about a similar product isn't the issue here. What IS the issue, is that you seem to be trying to "recruit" Community Members here to move over to another platform (you know; by using the super-secret PM system, in order to circumvent things). I, personally, don't see the value in that. Again; most of the Community here knows about Unity, as well as UDK, etc. I'm pretty sure they're well versed enough in "internet lore" to be able to search out the information that they deem necessary, all on their own.

So, on another note; how are you getting on with the latest version of GameGuru, Tom?
Intel Core i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 13th Oct 2015 05:21
No, Keith, I wasn't referring to Unity. And you are very clearly missing everything I said and are blinded by your own prejudice. My discussion was an honest one for what I believe is the best course of action for the future of Game Guru. It has everything to do with game Guru and you fail to see that.

Again, this has nothing to do with recruiting people away from game Guru. Did you even read my questions? I spoke specifically about "using" a base core engine and building on top of that what makes Game Guru what it is. It's about having a core engine that's solid and has everything people need and then adding ease of use the TGC way.

Why are you having difficulty seeing what I've actually said and insist on imposing your incorrect interpretation on it?
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2015 05:37 Edited at: 13th Oct 2015 05:40
@All.

We have no plans to move to another engine at this point.. We have converted completely to C++ and will be moving to DirectX11 in the next few months. This is the future of GameGuru for the foreseeable years and we're sure you'll be pleased with the results.

@TomJScott and @Anyone else.

We welcome intelligent debate but I will remind everyone for one last time. Openly arguing (Which includes angry PM's) with moderators WILL lead to a ban, repeat offenders will be banned permanently. The moderators have a job to do and part of this is keeping the forums a pleasant place to be.

Finally, threads of this nature cause flaming. We will tolerate emotional exchange to a certain extent, but over stepping the point of politeness will have consequences.

Thanks,

SC
i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 13th Oct 2015 05:51
Scene Commander, I did not write any angry PMs. If someone thought that then they were reading anger where none was written. I was also not openly arguing. In fact, I was simply responding to your own people who were openly arguing with me. Clearly there is no room for healthy discussion or debate here. Have a good day.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2015 06:09 Edited at: 13th Oct 2015 06:39
Due to the confrontational nature this that is taking, it has sadly already run it's cause.

Thanks everyone. I'm locking this now.

SC
i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 00:16:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 00:16:28