Work In Progress / [WiP] "Formicula"

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 19:42 Edited at: 14th Jan 2016 19:44
Quote: ""Sowas wie hier geht gar nicht!!""

thank you for that point. that is correct of course i could change the office building with a "clean" one that is not dirty at all. i will try that. i could build it from walls like in 7219 would this be better? or i could use "wallpapers" to cover the dirty walls.

Quote: "Hey nuncio - do you know how to do interior shadowing?"

i have not done any shadowing at all, no lightmapping, no lights, nothing. i have done it in previous maps with very good outcome but it slows it down and it's hard to change anything after that so this will be my last step. but i'm looking forward to this when i think this map is completely finished i would bake the light and i would be happy if you could help me then because i actually know how it works but i'm not really happy with lightmapping. f.e. i always did F4 for lightmapping but you said i should take F3. what is the difference?
http://www.nuncio-rap.de
intel core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz; 8GB RAM // NVIDIA GeForce GTX560Ti
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 20:09 Edited at: 14th Jan 2016 20:15
Well, this is a miners' building, so natural Stone masonry Comes to mind, no ? They'll literally have tons of it available at no extra cost- but it may depend on the time the game is set to take place, assuming the building is not much older.
Is it: "Now" ? "20 years ago" ? "In the fifties, just like the movie?"

My idea is: the older the building, the more likely is natural Stone masonry, but it needed to be from 30+ years in the past.
I doubt that wallpapers are common with industrial buildings in the far west of the US, and neither are bare brick walls on the inside. My guess is that they at least paint the inside walls.

Maybe, the US guys here can provide a suitable answer.

BTW: great Picture of the town óf Shelby in the "black mould"-room. How did you do that ? Is it derived from a screenshot of "Shelby in GameGuru's Editor " ?
Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime
PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 20:23 Edited at: 14th Jan 2016 20:25
Quote: ""In the fifties, just like the movie?""
no, today. i would like to have it in the 50s but i don't have any suitable models for this.
Quote: "BTW: great Picture of the town óf Shelby in the "black mould"-room. How did you do that ? Is it derived from a screenshot of "Shelby in GameGuru's Editor " ?"
thanks! yes, it's a screenshot from the editor.

i have a similar building to show how it could also look. the building is too big and it's in the wrong place but i mean the texture, the style and colour. i think it fits well but the old building looked good from the outside. how do you like this? if you say this is better i would build a copy of the "mold" building of the same size and replace it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 20:36
Older (125+ year old) buildings in the mid-west USA do tend to have straight brick interiors. It's actually fairly common.

I have occlusion turned off on my engine so for me F4 serves no function; so F3 is force of habit. I am not sure of the specific differences.
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
From the outside, I would prefer the buildings in Picture 7220, just remove the mould on the inside.
They are providing a straight, matter-of-fact mood.
And I would certainly trust Bolt Action Game's Statement on the usage of bare brick walls in the MidWest.
PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 22:53
ah okay thanks! well, the building looks good onthe outside but inside i have this mold. how can i remove this the easiest way? there my skills are limited
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 23:18
how do you like this? this is actually really crappy but it's better than before if you're not into dirty walls and mold

Attachments

yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
yes, looks fine and is obviously in accordance with B.A.G's statement. Maybe, the mine actually IS that old ( >125 years), then it could have been opened some time after the great Gold Rush had subsided - which in turn would sufficiently explain a mine which extends deep and far under the surface or into the mountain, after so many years of gold mining.
I like it when things fall into place like that, I must say.
PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2016 22:23 Edited at: 19th Jan 2016 22:23
^ great plot this is a great backstory to all this. after your suggestion to change the title i have slghtly changed the name of the game into "formicidae" and i have a little subtitle but i'm not sure if this is correct english. sounds strange but after research i thought it might be right "attack from the desert"

Attachments

yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
should be ok, both from the copyright point of view and from the grammatical p.o.v.
The title screen looks nice, I'm a bit undecided on its colour. on the one hand, the whitish colour makes good contrast to the permanent sandy/rocky colour scheme to come after the
game will begin, on the other hand it somehow seems to visually announce an adventure in a polar region to me, but that, of course, is a mere personal view.
Maybe, a pale yellow or bright orange background and bloody red lettering could fit better, I don't really know.
PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2016 20:44
great, thanks! no the colour is not final. it was just the font, style and "outlines". in the movie the red title is the only thing in coulour? i think the title should be in red and maybe the subtitle in white? i don't know about the background i just took a random screenshot to make it look better
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Font, Style, outline are all fine, I think,
yes in "Them!", only the title is blue/red, not sure whether bi-colored 3D glasses will show it REALLY outstanding.

When I think of it, I would "steal" the main ant colour for "Formicidae" and the desert/rock colour for "Attack from the desert".

Just my 2 cents.
PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2016 13:45
do you mean the "body" colour of the ant? that would be some orange / brown like red and the rocks are brown/orange. i would also do a black outline on the subtitle. i'm not sure about the background but this is something else.
i will write you a pm soon to keep on working on the game but i'm really sick right now i need to get well again then i have a clear mind for writing smart stuff again
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes. colour-wise that is exactly what I meant.

But if you are ill at the moment, use the recovery time to try and get a Little vacation from the game.
As far as I can tell, you honestly earned it.

Really, do not touch it, neither via mouse and Keyboard nor mentally, until you are well again.

It'll be worth it.

I wish you all the best to get well soon, and I put the stress on "well" first, and only secondarily on "soon".
PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2016 00:50 Edited at: 20th Feb 2016 01:44
thank you for the nice words
work has slowed down because i have a lot of trouble with game guru. i still managed to complete the map "explosive" where the player has to search a factory to find the explosives that you need to blow up the eggs. i don't know if i can finish the game but i have a small hope left. here are 2 shots from the map "explosive" (map2) and an example how devastating the frame rate is. this is unplayable. i have no idea. in the last screenshot(s) you can see how the script works that smallg fixed for me. this script is free for all of you to use in the scripts thread ("i need help with colelcting items script" or something)

EDIT: i have rebuilt the first map and here are some early shots. still a little dark but this could also be a good horror

Attachments

yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2016 11:05 Edited at: 20th Feb 2016 11:08
yes, saw your fresh Posts, about your Problems.
Pics are a bit dark, but look generally fine, as usual.
Not wanting to add to your troubles, but the 4th from the left is - let us say - not so perfect. Since we don't see any destruction in the room, there is really no reason why the guns are liyiing scattered on the floor;
WITH visible destruction, one would assume the ants broke through, the guns were fired until empty and then of course dropped in Panic as useless; same could be said if the guns were lying near the Windows; but in the middle of a room ? (Of course. they are somewhat easy to collect off this Position, but I think they should better be layed out half-orderly on one of the wooden boxes or leaninf against the walls).

In the 5th pic from the left, the place Looks unnecessarily crowded by buildings too Close to another for a place like this, where building / housing space is most likely ample and cheap.

Not sure why the cars are looking so ... rotten. The School bus may be explained as having been assaulted and beaten over by ants, but the two limousines ?

Else, it's fine
Keep up the good work-
PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2016 14:07
thanks

Quote: "Not wanting to add to your troubles, but the 4th from the left is - let us say - not so perfect. Since we don't see any destruction in the room, there is really no reason why the guns are liyiing scattered on the floor;"

no, this was just a test for the script! theguns will be placed at some special places i have marked already with signs for the player to find.

Quote: "In the 5th pic from the left, the place Looks unnecessarily crowded by buildings too Close to another for a place like this, where building / housing space is most likely ample and cheap. "

i will take a look at this again, this is a good point!

Quote: "Not sure why the cars are looking so ... rotten. The School bus may be explained as having been assaulted and beaten over by ants, but the two limousines ? "

this level is based on "safehouse", a dystopic game and the cars are not matching anymore. i will delete the cars. do you think there is too much green (trees) for a desert village? i'm thinking about deleting some trees. i will also add some hills in the background
Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great nuncio, really nice WIP thread.. keep up the progress.
Define R4, i7, 8g, R7 360
PM
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2016 15:49 Edited at: 20th Feb 2016 15:52
Ah I see:
Quote: "
this level is based on "safehouse", a dystopic game and the cars are not matching anymore. i will delete the cars. do you think there is too much green (trees) for a desert village? i'm thinking about deleting some trees. i will also add some hills in the background
"

If it is not connected to "Formicula" but to "safehouse", the cars may even be ok. And the "Green" is ok,too. if there is sufficient water available and it is neither too hot nor too cold, nature will be abundant.
PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2016 01:35 Edited at: 21st Feb 2016 01:35
here is new stuff from the first map "dark night" still a little dark but i will add some lights and run lightmapping

Attachments

yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
yes, but I thought this here is the "formicula"-thread ?
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2016 21:27
I like that you try all these indoor concepts even though game guru is not yet "ready" for them. You achieve good results. Please keep us updated
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2016 22:32
this is the first level from "formicula"! the city that you see above has been smashed by the ants. the player wants to get help and he comes into the city to find a chaos.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:44:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:44:52