Feature Creep / Multi Textures

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 11:14 Edited at: 21st Sep 2015 22:11
I am aware that GameGuru is undergoing a massive rewrite at the moment but can I please ask that the new version supports proper multi texturing. I know we can multi texture X files now in GameGuru but they don't hold in lightmapping and to be honest an unlightmapped scene is never going to impress. From personal experience I am aware that prior to lightmapping some models are rendered with distorted textures on them.

So please make sure the new version has the ability to accept multi textures in all lightmapping levels. thanks.

PS sorry if in wrong thread but as an artist I felt it sort of belonged in this one

[ MOD EDIT ] Moved to Feature Creep
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 17:27 Edited at: 28th Sep 2015 17:39
We aren't big fans of multitexture models. While it's easier for the artist, it's not a great thing for the engine. Every texture requires rendering, so a model with 10 textures rather than a single one will take 10 times longer to render.

There is a school of though internally that we could solve this by creating a single UV map from the textures, but that's someway off.

SC
i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 1st Oct 2015 06:38
Well I am going to chip in here.

There is only so much you can do with a texture atlas, to say the least I feel it is causing me more frustration than any thing else.GG doesn't support, creating primitives, and it will never support it as the moment it does, users will be less reliant on the store and content that TGC provides, this causes to what seems to me an ethical issue on part of TGC.Money vs functional software for a much broader audience.

Secondly we aren't living in the stone age any more graphics memory is exceeding 2gig on entry level cards, and very likely in a year or two we should be seeing entry cards with 4 gig or more.There is honestly no reason why GG can't support multi textures, there really is none, other than purposely removing the ability from the software.

While TGC may have honest intentions of removing it for the benefit of other users with less powerful graphics cards, the high end/ mid range guys, are left in the dark again.I shouldn't have to remind TGC of the issues where the high end guys actually suffered with performance issues and graphical issues as a direct result of focusing on getting GG to run on weaker systems.While this may be a delicate balance of graphics vs performance, TGC is paying the ultimate price for their train of thought, just having a look at steam reviews, bar the one liners.

It's evident that there is a considerable push for better graphics bar the complaints of performance.I have mentioned before TGC needs to draw line of what it is willing to support based on system requirements, while it may seem like a hard choice, there really is a limit, and expecting to support every CPU and graphics card is just going to end badly for TGC.

While TGC has keen eye on performance and graphics, and paying a great deal of attention to what users want of the engine, artists creating content for GG is pretty much left out to fend for them selves, unfortunately it is getting a little tiresome, it's just excuse, excuse after excuse when it comes to multi textures.

A 1024x1024 full mip RGBA DXT5 texture is ~1MB in size, meaning you can add roughly 256 textures of 1024k x 1024k, 2k textures use about 4mb.When using multi texture on a model you would be less reliant on higher size textures as you can get away with a lot of smaller textures. Arguments has been made, the issue is draw calls. ?

Has any amount of effort been done to address and reduce the performance impact of draw calls, honestly stone walling the issue and not supporting artists better in general has it's limits I know of a fair amount of artists that have all but given up, due to the restrictive nature of GG, it isn't fair.

What I would like to know when is TGC going to offer the guys creating content for GG, better support and the things they need to be more productive, multi textures is a step in the right direction, but hardly sufficient progress these guys need in the long run.

While this post is a bit on the aggressive side, it is showing my general frustration on lack of artist support. TGC needs to come to the table and speak to artist as well and see what they need, it's all a bit one sided at this point.
Win7 pro, Intel 2500K @3.7ghz 660GTX 8gig ram 16tb HDD
N1warhead
Years of Service
User Offline
Does GG not support Static Batching? That would fix the issue of using multiple textures on objects as long as they are Static.
I haven't even cut GG on more than once (as I'm busy working on products for Unity) don't wanna use it until I am not thinking about work lol.

But, static batching would fix this issue. You can have 500 textures being used all over the map, and if they are static, it will draw them all in 1 draw call instead of 500.

Perhaps Static Batching would be what GG needs.

That's just my 2 cents.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 04:40:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 04:40:51