Feature Creep / Reorganizing Directories

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have downloaded all the FREE stuff, however, I tried to reorganize stuff to make it easier for me, IE, put buildings in building, scenery in scenery, etc..

Tonight, I purchase a couple things, now I am download 275 items to get the 8 I purchased.....can we do something about this??? Perty PLEASE...LOL

Wanderer
Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2015 12:56

I agree !
Indeed, is a good idea to reorganize all stuff by type : buildings in building, scenery in scenery, etc..
Smile today, tomorrow could be worse

http://bestradiolarry.ro/fps/

"The best forum, game software, operating system or web platform, it's that software which can give you most of the features and speed, not just amazing graphics."
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
yh the ability to move stuff without it messing up the store would be a very nice addition as i'm constantly looking for stuff and even finding stuff i didn't know i had cos it's not in any logical place but hidden in some buried sub folders... i'd like to see stuff organised by type rather than artist by default too but the ability to move stuff ourselves would be even better.
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2015 22:14
In Purshase>Recent I had noticed the thumbs does not correspond with the items, IE: I've a plant bmp but it is a house, the plant is the next one.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

If you reorganised the folders you wouldn't receive updates correctly. This is unavoidable and the file structure exists for this reason. Also, many users like to share FPM's with other users, this requires that the file structure for the media is maintained, allowing teams to develop in tandem.

We actually moved away from what you are all suggesting because users felt that the folders were filling too quickly and it was becoming hard to find media. I've have almost all the store media on my machine for testing purposes. If the buildings for example, were in the buildings folder alone I'd have over 1000 models in a single folder to look through. Also don't forget, that while media from the store is listed under purchased/Artist name is is then list under the correct subfolder, e.g. building, boxes, etc.

I would however agree that an improved search function is required.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
wanderer189
Years of Service
User Offline
@Scene Commander

As a long time web designer, would it not be possible to give the user an option to download only the puchases they desire, rather than a forced download of all content that does not match up with the directory structure??? I do not have a clue how this type of thing works when steam is involved though.

And as I stated, a search option would be an incredible solution, but I would imagine it would be quite a task for that to happen as well, due to keywords, the way folks my name things, would a separate file need to be included with each entity, etc.????
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2015 05:05 Edited at: 24th Sep 2015 21:44
@3com :that means you somehow lost a thumbnail Image. Create it yourself from a Screenshot of GG in which the item is visible, by cutting it out in MS Paint in Sitze 64x64, save it under the respective name als BMP in the object's Directory, and you should be set.
Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2015 19:07
I'll give a try, thanks for the tip

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
You're welcome. The name of the .bmp file apparently has to correspond to the Name at the top of the respective .fpe .
Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 06:28 Edited at: 25th Sep 2015 06:29
I believe it was Unreal that I used to use that would have a little search bar when you click your objects/entity tab. That search bar would allow for you to search for things based on their name and keyword. It was extremely handy when you have accumulated thousands of objects.

At the very least GG does need a search function for our entity list in the future. Even if it just scanned for filename. This was something that I was hoping for back in the FPSC days. If GG could get this in the future it would definitely cut down on production time when crafting your maps. At the moment I can live without this but I can see over time this becoming more of an issue without, as I start to gather more objects in my library.
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
For me the obvious fix for this is a search tool inside GameGuru.

SC
i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2015 18:29 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2015 18:30
i saw in the twitch that Lee mentioned a search function which i support 100%! - but i also feel the entity panel could do with some tweaks, i'd like it if the "in map" list could double up (or more) when you stretch it out to cover more of the screen, as the list can get very long very fast - i guess 50% of the list in either side when there's 2, 33% when 3 etc (see picture)
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 01:50:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 01:50:19