Website/Forum Feedback / ADMIN: please uncheck the option "locked" from old posts in this forum !

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2015 13:50
"This thread has not been posted in for more than 90 days and has been locked!"
This is one of worst messages for the forum users, and they open a lot of new threads with similar subjects.
Please use your Admin panel and uncheck the option "locked" for the old threads in this forum !
If that option does not exist, create a rule for that.
Thanks in advance
Smile today, tomorrow could be worse

http://bestradiolarry.ro/fps/

"The best forum, game software, operating system or web platform, it's that software which can give you most of the features and speed, not just amazing graphics."
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2015 13:57
There isn't an admin panel this is totally bespoke forum software.

This was chosen to be added as it prevents users searching for old threads and bumping them when they are no longer relevant, a thread without posts for 3 months is seen as outdated and normally contains outdated information. In the case a thread does need unlocking a moderator can do this at their discretion, just PM them and they will help.

This policy has been used on the main TGC forums for more than 8 years now and works well to manage old threads bumping.

The exact amount of time that we wait before locking a thread may be altered depending on forum activity but at the moment 3 months seems to be filtering most of the outdated threads.
Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz (Passmark: 9021), 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked (Passmark: 8056)
PM
Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2015 14:05 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2015 14:56
The Next wrote: "This policy has been used on the main TGC forums for more than 8 years now and works well to manage old threads bumping.

The exact amount of time that we wait before locking a thread may be altered depending on forum activity but at the moment 3 months seems to be filtering most of the outdated threads."

Thanks for answer me, but this rule it still generate a lot of new threads with similar subjects and flood this forum with unnecessary new threads for old and similarly discussion subjects...
Just one example: I have new options for the "securitycamera" script at https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/211499 , and because the original thread was closed, I need to open a new one...with similar subject to can post the news !?!
Smile today, tomorrow could be worse

http://bestradiolarry.ro/fps/

"The best forum, game software, operating system or web platform, it's that software which can give you most of the features and speed, not just amazing graphics."
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2015 15:20
From experience on the other forum there isn't any evidence to show it produces duplicate threads. There is no need to make new threads, because if someone has something worth while to add to the thread they can ask any mod to unlock it and the thread will bump at the same time. I may consider allowing a threads OP to reopen the thread instead of having to ask a mod, that seems like a good idea.
Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz (Passmark: 9021), 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked (Passmark: 8056)
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I may consider allowing a threads OP to reopen the thread instead of having to ask a mod, that seems like a good idea"

+1
totally agreed with that idea as a solution, especially with stuff like 3rd party tools and own media threads... sure a mod can unlock it but an option like above would be better for both the mod's work amount and the users
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2015 08:47
I like that idea too because sometimes I want to add updates to my WIPs
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 22:41:04