Showcase / Hell on Earth

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2015 11:36 Edited at: 11th Aug 2015 13:36
Hell on Earth

Developed by rolfy

You play as Azriel a lesser winged Demon who wakes to find Earth and Hell have been turned on their heads. Your lovely home is overgrown with green stuff...trees, flowers, butterfly's.... and Hell forbid.....bunny rabbits. Earth is in chaos. Make the journey upstairs and restore your world to the barren wasteland you know and love.

This game was pushed out in four days building on parts of previous built levels and media showcase scenes.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2015 23:08 Edited at: 8th Aug 2015 23:30
Just a heads up.
Its a pity as I put various music and sound effects throughout the game, which worked fine on my end, GameGuru seems to have an issue with copying over some files to the built folders and I found myself having to rename and manually copy many textures over. I was rushed at the end with errors caused by a store music file which was causing issues, as it turned out to be an uncompressed wav which messed up the whole game and took ages to track down the cause. Store assets should not be like this and never should you use a 3-4 minute audio track coming in at 30-40 Mb in a game. 90% of media in this is custom and I am a little disappointed that one of the few assets I purchased caused me so much grief. There is only one third person character for GG and making this custom one work at all was a real chore as mostly TPV is hard coded at present, it was a miracle I got it working at all. This file was in the final level and caused the whole game to mess up taking me hours to find the issue...lol

To store admins, only small sound files should be accepted as wavs full songs which are longer than a few seconds and uncompressed are unacceptable for games. A song which is 3-4 minutes in length and uncompressed will be a huge file size and if the seller doesn't state the length and format in the description then it should be rejected. If you don't know how to convert to .ogg then take the 5 minutes to learn for crying out loud.

I partly blame myself for not noticing this and would have converted it myself, but being rushed it skipped my notice, still, users shouldn't have to be doing it themselves with store assets.
You want to create audio for games then learn the script.Store assets should work as stated and testing in an empty level doesn't mean a thing.

There was another model missing a script and I pm'd the creator....still waiting for a response.
Shadow man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2015 01:00 Edited at: 9th Aug 2015 01:08
I gave this a play a few hours ago and I don't remember any music playing in level 3,...I think it was level
3,....not sure now ?.
Anyway, the music played ok for me in the other levels, but I don't remember any sound effects playing,
apart from the fireball sound effect,....that worked fine,....oh and the opening the gate sound,....that was
ok too, but other than that I thought this is kind of strangely quiet for a "Rolfy made game",?.
Not sure this will be of any help to you, but, well, "just so you know".
Other than that, I enjoyed playing it,.......the crosshair is way off,......I tried to figure why that is myself,
but alas,......probably an engine thing,?.
Anyway, enjoyed the game, and loved that landscape in the final level,...very cool,,....good luck in
the comp,....I thought about entering myself,....but in the end I thought GG is just not ready yet,...maybe
next time for me,.....so, thanks for the download, and all the best to you sir.
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2015 01:40 Edited at: 9th Aug 2015 01:43
Yeah I had figured it was a sound issue (even causing the third person character to stop working properly) and was stripping it out of all the levels in an attempt at finding the culprit, as it turned out it was one in the very last level. After all this farfing around I was rushed to meet the deadline and didn't have time to realise most of the sound effects weren't copied over to the built level.

The crosshair issue is GG related to being used in a populated level and nothing I could do about it

GameGuru is currently in no fit state to be creating a game for entry into such competitions and the struggle with things being constantly broken just led to a ton of frustrations for me, reckon there isn't a snowballs chance in Hell of any game created in this to win anything.

Thanks for playing and comments.
Shadow man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2015 02:42 Edited at: 9th Aug 2015 02:44
Quote: "GameGuru is currently in no fit state to be creating a game for entry into such competitions and the struggle with things being constantly broken just led to a ton of frustrations for me, reckon there isn't a snowballs chance in Hell of any game created in this to win anything."

And that is why I did not enter myself,.....although I have to be very honest,......I was very tempted,.....
so I understand why you did enter,.....but in the end, I guess common sense "so to speak" got the better
of me,.....and thankfully I chose to go with that feeling,....for now.
I think the time will come,....if TGC will "live up to their promise", when we will be able to make games
that are on par with what are being made in other engines,.....but for now, I have the feeling that is still
quite some way off,.....sadly.
Time will tell,......as with everything else in life I guess,
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 14:07:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 14:07:50