Product Chat / Feature Vote!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2015 23:07

I was just checking the voting list and noticed compass and radar are still there, were they not both in the last release(1.11)?

Great release by the way, marvelous work, thank you.
THE GLACIER IN THE MOUNTAIN MUST MELT BEFORE THE RICE IN THE VALLEY CAN GROW.

CPU:i7-4720HQ Mem: 16G Graphic: GTX 980M 8G and intel HD4600 OS: Windows10
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
The radar and compass was kind of accidental ...
Ravey created it simply as a twitch demo to show some LUA scripting ...As it was pretty much complete it was added to this release of GameGuru

But yes well spotted ....We will have to remove that ...
Thanks for the heads up
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Bloodknight
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, so i've been doing my newb duty and playing catch up with reading and trying to get a handle on whats up where thing are going, I find the vote for features idea, and go looky see, only theres just a bunch of disparate half sentences clamouring for attention, no discussion, no explanation nada. So while i do have experience in many things i am not even qualified to vote on things that are not explained correctly or at all, even if i had such an ability.

I did note that one guy did mention a no coder white knight... i'm sorry princess, you should probably prepare for disappointment, unless reality suddenly turns to fairy tale... no white knights in the immediate future.

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable on the whole about game dev (and yes before your mind jumps there, ive been a cocky sod for about 30 years now and no i'm unlikely to change :p ), i can quickly see that half of these wishes are not engine feature requests but game feature requests and ideally needs to be split into those two broad categories so that they can be worked on correctly. The caveat is the white knight fairy tale in the previous paragraph, either way priority should be given to engine features not game specific features imo, especially since that is how the product is marketed.

I'm assuming the actual guru engine development team is tiny (under a dozen coders), and while i am not an engine developer i do know that gameplay code in an engine is trivial compared to the difficulty of engine functionality code, of course if the engine devs created a DLL import system then it all allows to the user to add their own extensions/additions and possibly even overrides and modification of basic features.

** i deleted the rest of the post since there is little to be gained from discussing realism with idealists, and life really is too short. Also it appears that sensible and responsible management has also prevailed according to other threads and posts ive read, so looks like gameguru will be able to mature at least
PM
Bloodknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Additional disclaimer
I did also mean to mention that obviously i dont have many hours invested in gameguru such that i have only tinkered a little with simple environment stuff, so i imagine that theres a 101 feature in the engine i haven't used which also makes me unqualified to pick and choose what's needed or missing vs my needs or even other engines.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Additional disclaimer
I did also mean to mention that obviously i dont have many hours invested in gameguru such that i have only tinkered a little with simple environment stuff, so i imagine that theres a 101 feature in the engine i haven't used which also makes me unqualified to pick and choose what's needed or missing vs my needs or even other engines."

Most of the voting are features ... As it stands GameGuru is very customisable .... You can create your own Skybox's, terrains , Import your own models, You also have LUA Scripting to make your game more unique, Front ends are editable so you will find most of the voted features are what users want simplified or added to GameGuru so they can expand their games .
PM
Bloodknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Front ends are editable "

Explain this to me, ive seen very few options for customising anything.

Ive seen reference to importing models, yet an unable to find any documentation regards animation switching choosing or even using, forum search isnt helpful at all either lists far to many results or nothing
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 10:46
Quote: "Ive seen reference to importing models, yet an unable to find any documentation regards animation switching choosing or even using, forum search isnt helpful at all either lists far to many results or nothing"

Content is, as with all game engines, produced outside of the tool (in this case game guru).

Here is a tutorial on how to do this.

As for animated models, its easiest to just look at those already present as samples in the game guru folder and take it from there. You can open the .fpe files (which guru needs to "identify" content) with windows notepad.

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
Super excited to see in the feature vote that Direct X 11 is being worked on. I wonder what technology this will bring? Would love to see something in Lee's blog about the potential benefits involved. It should mean there's more potential in better graphics, so I'd love to know the in's and outs of what is going on What's being trialled and tested? I think if the graphics can be made to look truly next gen then GG will sell itself so much better. It's already the worlds easiest and best game creation software. Some cutting edge graphics would in my opinion help the product thrive. I say this as I look at my poor old laptop and sigh thinking it's time to upgrade gaming hardware, most modern games don't run on it, but GG does run haha. What does this mean? GG should get with the times and take advantage of cutting edge graphics. And I should upgrade my computer Is this a realistic assessment of the situation or am I dreaming away in the clouds?
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2016 00:58 Edited at: 28th Jan 2016 01:07
Quote: " Is this a realistic assessment of the situation or am I dreaming away in the clouds?"

I don't think you're dreaming. I read on one of his posts that PBR was one of his considerations, perhaps even incorporating Substance into GG. I don't know if he was serious or just musing on the possibilities, though. The downside of that is all our current models won't look very good alongside new ones using that.
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2016 01:29
Yes but the good news is you will only need to adjust the specular map to accommodate the PBR, as it uses a blend or the spec map which is the reflectance of light off the surface, and the gloss map which represents the micro surface texture itself.

Hopefully we will get a few other map type also to spice things up.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2016 01:40
Here is a great read on PBR theory and what the difference is, and what bases are set up for different types of materials.

It is a long read, but very informative. Grab a drink and a snack.

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-theory
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Fendrik
Years of Service
User Offline

I just watched a couple of videos on Substance Painter and bought it right away ... just want to be ready when and if PBR comes to GG ... but I would agree with some of the other posts ... giving someone a hammer and a chisel does not make them a Michelangelo ...

And I really like the concept of the GG voting ... and much like any democratic endeavor, you sometimes get really weird outcomes
PM
devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
if the building editor is next on the list, should not bots to navigate stairs ect should be in same category.
or do you intend to do the building editor leaving ai unable to navigate it.
then later making more work to let ai navigate stairs and upper levels later on.
this seems a bit weird as they should fall in the same category.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2016 18:52
Quote: " and much like any democratic endeavor, you sometimes get really weird outcomes "

Yes. A lot of people are not educated on what makes a game look good and seem to vote for features that are advertised/ they recognize from other engines or even the graphics settings of games. A lot of the effects that have been voted on are completely pointless without a solid lightmapping system...which of course is underrepresented in the results list.

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
and much like any democratic endeavor, you sometimes get really weird outcomes

yes i agree been here since 2006 same story rolling out each time.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2016 21:29 Edited at: 18th Mar 2016 21:30
Personally the voting system is good ....but still some features need to be added to enable others to be added first...
I would just let Lee do it as he needs to IMHO
PM
Sanguis
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2016 13:07
For the Building Editor I suggest, looking at the Alpha of new "Planet Coaster" Game. It's just Alpha but look at the amazing Buildings, people have made with just a few assests in short time. I bought Alpha access and it is great building there. This system in GameGuru would make me absolutly happy.
Alienware 17R3 Laptop - Win10 - 16GB Ram - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M - Intel® Core™ i7-6820HK
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2016 16:28
Any videos of the building feature of Planet Coaster?
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Sanguis
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2016 17:12
Hi Lee,

you can take this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i6Yoatoz30
It's a twitch from the dev's. Look from 14:10.

There are many videos on youtube. The Game itself gives you the skeleton of a building. Everything else is made by players. The Houses you can see in some videos and so on.
It's not that different to GameGuru Building. Just a smoother snap system and a flexible grid around the cursor. Heights simply with shift+mouse (I think it's the same in GG).
Here you see Buildings made with really few assets. Would be so much fan to use it for a FPS Game!
Alienware 17R3 Laptop - Win10 - 16GB Ram - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M - Intel® Core™ i7-6820HK
Lelando
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Backgammon, usually.
Posted: 29th Apr 2016 07:34
Some of the things near the top of the current list are things that are already possible (with the help of scripts available on the store). Granted, I think we'd all like to see easier ways to do some of them, but they are at least possible right now. On the other hand, other things near the top of the list aren't even possible with scripting.

I'd like to make a plea to the good people of this forum to consider your own voting, and to reduce your vote for anything that is currently possible with scripting. Let's get new functionality in there before we worry about making existing functions easier! I'm not suggesting those things aren't important... just not *as* important. Big difference!

Here's the 'Top Ten' of the current list, as of this writing, color coded based on whether they are currently possible with scripting or are not currently possible with scripting:

01. Bots to navigate stairs / heights
02. Menu Editing
03. Talking Characters / Quest givers
04. Free player app for non GameGuru users
05. Day & Night system
06. Third Person Mode for any character
07. Inventory
08. Weapon Editor
09. Quests
10. All settings to have equivalent LUA commands

That's *half* of the list that can already be accomplished using scripts. The list continues in such fashion, with numerous higher-ranking items that, although not necessarily easy, are at least *possible* when compared to other items. And again, I'm not suggesting these things aren't important. I'd just rather see *new* functionality added before making existing functionality easier to manage.

If you agree with me, then please go back and review your voting. Drop those things that are already possible, and start adding them back in down the road, after we get some new functionalities. I imagine that, once all settings have equivalent LUA commands, the list will start to get knocked down pretty quickly, since the code-monkeys will start to make other things possible in script, too.

Thanks for letting me rant. I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers, and that even if you disagree with me, you can understand where I'm coming from.

Cheers,
Lelando

PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 29th Apr 2016 08:18
Quote: "you can take this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i6Yoatoz30
It's a twitch from the dev's. Look from 14:10."

We don't really need that kind of building creator, it would be nice, but very redundant as we can already do most of that, we just need them to add a visible grid, make it so we can copy/paste multiple objects, and for people to make the parts.

What we do need desperately, which is in that video too, is a road/path system like that shown at 17:10, that would make mine and many other peoples lives so much easier.

i7, NV960 4GB, 16GB memory, 2x 4TB Hybrid, Win10.
i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
i3, Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 512gB Generic SATAII, Win8.1.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 2GB memory, 180GB Generic SATAII, WinXP.
Mortt
Years of Service
User Offline
I think the voting is a fantastic idea.
It gives direction for future dev of GG and the users, that is us, help in making it an even more defined application to produce imaginations in a more realistic visual method. Awesome.
PM
imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2016 10:34
Here it's another tool i would like to see in GG, very powerful and it's exactly what a lot of users need to have if we want to create/add detailed environments in GG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvrKHUgBYKc
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2016 10:41
Quote: "Here it's another tool i would like to see in GG, very powerful and it's exactly what a lot of users need to have if we want to create/add detailed environments in GG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvrKHUgBYKc"

That's exactly the kind of thing i'd like to see, in fact the game i'm working on would benefit greatly from something like that, my environment is jungle and there will be a lot of ruined buildings swallowed up in the jungle, so I need to find a way to cover them in vines and foliage.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2016 14:00
and i have a project too, but actually can't do nothing with GG.
No shaders (realtime).
No Time Day/Night (realtime).
No volumetric lights (realtime).
No better Lights/shadows.
No spline nature/foliage/object generator like in the example.
No Weather system Rain/Snow/ Wind of dust (realtime).

I know GG is in development, but why GG has completly removed shaders like it was the case in FPSC/FPSCR
of Course A.I is really important but those need too, to be take in consideration too, for a better future of GG.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2016 15:43
@imothep85 : It might be a good idea for you to check out the Unreal 4 engine and the spline generator for the project you refer to. It will be some time before GameGuru has the features you listed, and I can only imagine your frustration in waiting for them to appear. Maybe try Unreal for 6 months and then return to GameGuru, which might have some of the features you wanted, and you can check them out. It will also give our community an opportunity to ask a few questions about the comparisons between Unreal and GameGuru, in terms of productivity and tools available (and whether it truly is free to make a whole game).

When I first started making games (which was yonks ago), I tried pretty much every tool available to find out what I liked best. I often found I liked elements from each, and often wished I could glue the best bits of everything into one single solution, but it rarely worked out this way. I finally landed on tools that would allow me to create my ideas quickly and hopefully keep me engaged enough so I could finish a game. One of the best languages I ever encountered was AMOS, which was a personification of the Amiga itself in that it was truly advanced and allowed results to be created in hours, not days and weeks which was the norm for using things like 'C' and 'ASM'. It's not until you try lots of different things that you find your place in the universe, and can proceed to attack the project ideas you have with alacrity.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2016 16:47
@ Belidos
Quote: "so I need to find a way to cover them in vines and foliage"

Wold be nice GG working with splines, since you can do all the vines just using splines, and not polys at all; problem comes when you've to convert it to editable poly, polycount up like foam.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2016 17:06
Quote: "
Wold be nice GG working with splines, since you can do all the vines just using splines, and not polys at all; problem comes when you've to convert it to editable poly, polycount up like foam. "

Yeah I know, I was using Blenders built in vine/ivy generator earlier and had a nice little bit of ivy growing on a model, looked really good, then I looked up and saw that it was 280,000 tri's and thought forget that lol

I think I will probably end up going with decals or textures for ivy

Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2016 17:58 Edited at: 29th Jun 2016 18:05
Quote: "I think I will probably end up going with decals or textures for ivy"

I'm working in a project than involve ivy, mossy, lianas, etc and also doing the same, via textures.
Likeky you has to do your own texture to fit your scene, that's the better way to do.

Anyway with a plane, plus a bit of noise, and a good textures, you can fake them.
Just the tomato (pic bellow) takes 9k at polycount.

fake ivy

fake mossy

tomato

3com

PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2016 18:08 Edited at: 29th Jun 2016 18:10
Sorry guys, don't know why does not get pic links working right, excuse for duplicate try.

3com

PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
maybe the EBE will be easier to make vine covered buildings, certainly would be more friendly on the system as it apparently makes the finished model into 1 mesh, therefore you wont end up with loads of draw calls and still allows you to quite quickly edit your walls & vines to be more varied in real time.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2016 14:19 Edited at: 16th Jul 2016 15:03
how is menu editing more important than bots to navigate stairs and heights ??????????????.
whats going on with the voting system. someone is deliberately trying to sabotage gg or drive people away.
or is it simply tgc are at a point they dont care about there product anymore .
i have been here from 2006 and just start to see another pattern again.
lee should take control of this situation and do what is right for the engine before we have another melt down
like x9 or x10, if tgc dont get this right this time there rep will be worth ?????.

if tgc are looking what we are expecting fro GG then look no further than here http://www.moddb.com/engines/s2engine-hd
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "whats going on with the voting system. someone is deliberately trying to sabotage gg ."

Yes I have a little red button here with menu editor written on it and I press it every now and then to put the editor to the top

But seriously lets not talk silly ... EBE and bots on all levels have been at the top for ages ... Lee has already stated in a twitch that the menu editor done at the same time wouldn't be a problem .... This happened last time .... Once users find out whats next they start voting for the thing after that ....
A little early this time granted ....
PM
devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
yes you are right. but without getting a level editor that can build like the EBE then what is the point of light mapping,
what is going to happen to all the store media is it going to be compatible or has lee got any ideas on collision and can
or are we able to get bots to navigate all the media created by artists , and already sold or should we just not purchase media
until we are assured it will be able to be navigated by bots on other levels, light mapping should be done when the EBE is done
and fixed to use media already created, i do have concerns. purchasing x9 was great had some fun with it, then i spent £900.00
on a new system to run X10, purchased nearly everything on the store, now lee has most of the assets converted for GG
is good not so much of a waste of monies, but it seems tgc are dragging there feet on the more important updates and development
needed, to get GG inline with most game engines out there, perhaps tgc should now consider more time to this project,
and put others on hold, perhaps invest in some help from more programmers, after all this was going to be there flagship product,
yes i do get peed off seeing things going around in circles, and is not directed at anyone personally .
would just like to see a product that was as promised .
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't get what you mean ..... Have you watched the twitch feeds recently.
Nothing will be effected on the store..... Whatever way bots on all levels is implemented it will work with all models, packs, and EBE as does lightmapping
PM
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2016 23:30
Does anyone know if the EBE system is done for now? I would like to see work begin on AI or is there still more to be done on EBE?
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2016 08:24
Not yet, it's just the first round of beta and there's still features missing (saving models etc.)

_newgarden
Years of Service
User Offline
I am a new user and still exploring the forums and everything, I might be becoming a fanboy of GG.
anyway, I have a feature request........ I think this is simple but maybe not........
When you start Gameguru, it loads up what seams like quite a few things (which takes a while)
and then you have to open your project (whatever you might be working on (.fpm)) which now
reloads everything again.

Maybe before the terrain and some other stuff can be loaded after an option to open a file (.fpm)
So instead of the the terrain editor you get a dialog box to open a file(.fpm).

Or maybe the the ability to open a .fpm file which would start Gameguru.
(I tried this by associating the .fpm to GG, GG opened starts but doesn't open the .fpm)

Most imaging software doesn't open with a huge empty file when you open it.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:12:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:12:47