Off Topic / Steam - GG - Assest Downloads

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2015 13:33
Wasn't sure whether to report this as a bug, or just make a request somewhere, or just have a rant and see if others feel the same as myself.

So I just decided to rant like an old man !!
When downloading assets within GG it simply takes forever. I just tried to download 1 Skybox, and 1 Terrain, and after 20 minutes of waiting for nothing to happen I just killed GG via Task Manager.

Others on the forums have expressed similar experiences, within GG and also with other Steam items - all on various flavours of Windows, and PC specs.

Everything else I download from the internet, does so as expected - quickly - but not from within GG.

So is this something TGC can fix or is it a Steam problem that we just have to live with?

As far as Steam is concerned, I find it the buggiest\most annoying piece of software I have come across for a while, and if I had the option it would not see the light of pixels on my machine. I would rather download the assets from TGC and point GG to it on my system.

ggrrrrr . . . . Anyhow, thoughts . . . .
PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2015 14:41 Edited at: 26th Jun 2015 08:04
i don't like steam at all and i still have major issues with steam. i already told here. games are deleted, savegames disappear, drivers get killed and much much more. game guru runs well so i don't care about steam.

when you download something from the store and you delete it from the "purchased" folder GG will download it again next time. maybe this made your download so very slow?

well, for me. i downloaded ONE terrainbank by VA (that is actually great!!) and it took about 1,5 hours. really long time. when i downloaded my 200€ purchase it took anentire day to download. including one time i got kicked out!!
http://www.nuncio-rap.de
intel core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz; 8GB RAM // NVIDIA GeForce GTX560Ti
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2015 16:57
We have just made a fix for the downloader that will be released with the next version of GameGuru, this should make downloads much faster.
Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz (Passmark: 9021), 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked (Passmark: 8056)
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2015 11:54
Thanks for the update The Next.

I will get some assets from the store and try the download improvements when the next release is out.
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2015 13:03 Edited at: 4th Jul 2015 13:59
@The Next, I just commented in the V1.003 release thread, so hopefully RickV can mark this as still a problem.

This is what I posted there:

"Thanks for the release - updates are always welcome!!

Just to let you know, assets downloading still takes forever - for me, it is still way too slow, it was much faster (like heaps faster) in Reloaded before we went to GG and Steam.

For me its bad enough that I think twice before buying assets off the store now (and mostly decide not to do so), because I will have to wait an hour to download a skybox or something similar, and I would rather just play around with creating levels and stuff.

Is there anyway to improve this?
Personally I think it would be better if we could just download the assets straight from the store - outside of GG - and then load them into GG from the hard drive. At least that way, we could still mess around with our level design while waiting for the download to complete.

Just my two cents. . . ."
PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@Old Flak.

We will look into this, but 1 hour to download a couple of items isn't normal.

Can you please send me your system specs via the green button and also if possible send me the results from http://www.speedtest.net/ so we know your connection speed.

Many thanks,

SC
i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 03:26 Edited at: 6th Jul 2015 03:29
@Scene Commander,
Here is the link to my SpeedTest
My system specs are now in my signature.

Thanks for looking into this.

I performed a clean install of Win10 10162 yesterday and downloading all my assets into GG took nearly 3 hours. But I have no idea on the size of the download. I think it is still better than in the last build of GG though - last time it took the whole day!

I will go to the store and find something else to purchase, and then actually time how long it takes to import into GG - just so there is a more accurate info for you.

OldFlak...
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080.
Windows 8.1 64-bit. Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit.
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 04:11
@Scene Commander
OK so I did a test download and not sure what to make of this - all seams ok today!

I bought the following packs from the store:
FloorA Collection - By Kasseyus - 8 iems
WallA Collection - By Kasseyus - 8 items
Rocks Ramps and Platforms - By rolfy - 13 items

So 29 items in total. The download took only 6 minutes!

Also just a note every time I download anything the download will consistently include three items from pack 10598:
waterfall
watermillwings
watermillwings2

When the download has completed, I can happily tell GG to download these three items until the cows come home.

So apart from this little glitch the download now seams to function OK - lol maybe it will be different tomorrow!

If I may suggest, I still think it would be good to be able to download outside of GG though.

By the way the new store setup is much nicer too!!
Now off to the store again there are a few packs I want to get hold of, but was putting it off until this was fixed.

So thanks for looking at this.

OldFlak....

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080.
Windows 8.1 64-bit. Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 09:13:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 09:13:06