Feature Creep / another "what i would like"

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2015 12:06 Edited at: 4th Apr 2015 21:01
yea well... first of all hi to everyone. I´m new here so pls bare with me if some things might be somewhere around already. I read as much as possible in the 3 days since purchase when i was not buisy with building levels

I´d also like to mention that i´m in now way related to the software industrie (well, i worked in customer support for a webhosting provider, if that counts xD) . However, i´ve been playing around a bit with the Arma 3 editor, which basically means i used default assets and some custom scripts that i copy/pasted into the entities, which at least gave me a basic understanding of how a script looks like and what certain commands do... i realize this .lua format is a different language but the similarities are there...

okay,now to the features i felt would be great to enhance the workflow alot. i am sure that some of these might be already planned, but i´ll just simply write down what i feel missing from the few days that i used the editor (( i am aware by now that some of these CAN actually be achieved by scripts/ changing values in scripts, but the point is to have functions inside the editor that won´t need scripting involved, right?^^)) :

-Mark multiple entities for deletion of lots of them at once (if its there, i didnt find it) Deleting every bush seperately when i sprayed them across an area can take some time

-hand in hand with that: Copy/paste single/ group of marked entities (refering mostly to road tiles here )

-one thing that makes the Arma 3 editor so great and user friendly: a script window in the "properties" Menu of the entity itself, where you can put in small scripts directly (as reference "This; join player1; oh and btw, such a way to add a character to the player group would be cool, although i read that "AI comrades" will be an upcoming feature evetually)

- for some of this the "unique entity number" thing that i read about is a bit hindering, to say the least, because as i understand it, it wouldn´t be possible to - let´s say, give a character entity custom behaviour (by using the above script window) and copy pasting it 5 times, so you have 5 custom guys behaving different than the others,lets say by adding "give weapon xy" and setting custom reaction ranges (the latter you can already do with properties,but have to do that for each character seperately)
so, a way to make not every entity unique would help alot (like maybe a clone command or what ever that enables us to have multiples of the same entity numbers?? or with ongoing numbers but the same settings as the origin) if that´s possible at all, as i said, scripting noob) ... i understand that this also limits other people with enemy respawns and other things

-be able to set an npc character as "leader" and link/group others with him, so they´d follow him if you give him a certain patrol route or which ever other custom commands.

over all i would say, if you can get some of the rather intuitive functionalities of the Arma 3 level editor integrated into your AWEESOME!! construction kit it could become the AWWEEESOMEST!! creation tool ever (well, it is already great, so ... )

last thing is a question... am i right assuming that the lua command [e] is basically the same as the [this;] command, meaning "this unit right here"?

(( will update the second post frequently i guess ))
PM
HarlsonRS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2015 12:29 Edited at: 4th Apr 2015 20:59
aaah, how did i delete my post?

oh lol... i didn´t appearently ... oh well

while i´m at it, an addition:

-select an area to fill with ground textures

-just got to my mind: link a certain character model to the player/ multiplayer spawn point (related to my reply a few threads below^^) which would define that model as player model... in arma this is simply done by defining it as player1, 2, what ever, but linking to the player spawn should do the job as well...

thus you could use several (lets say 4 per team) different custom characters, thus having a machine gunner, a rifle man etc. per team... just an example...

-Scalable, definable area linked to trigger/ win/ other zones, so you could activate entities only if a player is in a certain region, not at a small spot ... currently these triggers seem to be designed for tube-like levels, not so much for open areas where you can enter certain places from many ways... this would be very important to me already possible with trigger zone,problem solved xD
PM
HarlsonRS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2015 13:27 Edited at: 4th Apr 2015 13:28
btw, can i edit the title somehow? i just seem to edit the texts, but no clue how to get the title editable...this thread will be updated frequently i guess, so it would be nice if i could add the actual date in the title..
PM
Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2015 13:43 Edited at: 10th Apr 2015 19:49
When we can create some amazing game scene like this https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=880628318649999&pnref=story ?

Look at the tress animation wen the transportation train pass, the civilian station environment, and more other stuff...
we still need civilian characters and much more other environment and interactions stuff on to GG.
P.S. Like other many of users said: "it's boring for player to only jump in one map and just shoots in all what are moving there"...
Smile today, tomorrow could be worse

http://bestradiolarry.ro/fpsarea/

"The best forum, game software, operating system or web platform, it's that software which can give you most of the features and speed, not just amazing graphics."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 02:10:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 02:10:39