Off Topic / Unity 5: Personal Edition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2015 16:40 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2015 16:50
Unity 5: Personal Edition, just announced. Its free like before, but seemingly included ALL engine features, unlike before (shadows not enabled, etc).

... looks like personal is for non-commercial use.
Brook\'s Law ...\"adding manpower to a late software project makes it later\"
Notayeti
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah you beat me to it. That's crazy. It states no royalties so I am sure you can use it commercially. It also states 100K in revenue/funding.....not sure exactly what is meant. Which makes me think if you generate that much or you acquire funding, you need to pay?
PM
DennisW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2015 21:43
Hey Thanks I will check that out. Things look pretty unstable here.
Ham and Eggs Breakfast

The Chicken was involved the Pig was Committed

AGK Community Tester
StevenP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2015 22:39 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2015 22:42
Yes, Unity 5 Personal can be used for commercial purposes provided you do not have more than 100,000 in revenue or funding.
PM
Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2015 18:06 Edited at: 7th May 2015 14:42
I downloaded UFPS for Unity and plan on buying Squad Command: Advanced Warfighter AI. I'm hoping to be able to integrate the packages together. Should keep me busy!
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 11th May 2015 23:43
I'm finally getting around to using Unity 5 myself. I've been using 4.3 Wii U version for the past 8 months so just getting my feet wet with 5.0. It has a lot of improvements and is definitely a solid engine. I personally prefer Unity over GG by a huge margin. Although I have a special fondness for GG and what they are trying to accomplish, it just seems like it's always going to be just a toy and never achieve that professional level needed to truly make great games. It's fun to play with from time to time though. Although the better I get at Unity, the less I feel like I ever want to go back to GG.
System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0085
Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree GG is great... but Unity has so many modules and things you can buy to expand it for example I am eyeing up the Relief Terrain pack and Adventure Creator pack... which provide so many options to the developer. I'm sure in the future Game Guru will become great offering great value for money and hopefully an all in one system which just works... but I'm a little impatient and want to mess around with all the advanced features which Unity provides. The other option to play with is Cry Engine which I'm tempted to try it costs a small monthly subscription but again is an all in one package that should just work and might be the best option since I could easily port my games to Xbox One... I'm not sure how compatible all those Unity modules will be with Xbox One.
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 12th May 2015 13:34 Edited at: 12th May 2015 13:35
Quote: "I agree GG is great... but Unity has so many modules and things you can buy to expand it for example I am eyeing up the Relief Terrain pack and Adventure Creator pack... which provide so many options to the developer. I'm sure in the future Game Guru will become great offering great value for money and hopefully an all in one system which just works... but I'm a little impatient and want to mess around with all the advanced features which Unity provides. The other option to play with is Cry Engine which I'm tempted to try it costs a small monthly subscription but again is an all in one package that should just work and might be the best option since I could easily port my games to Xbox One... I'm not sure how compatible all those Unity modules will be with Xbox One.
"

I have the Relief Terrain Pack as well as Terrain Composer. RTP is absolutely amazing. I've only scratched the surface so far because it's a bit complicated to get into, but the results are the best on the market even compared to CryEngine and Unreal 4.

If you want to develop for XBox One, just use Unity 5.0. However, if you wanted something else then go with Unreal 4. I looked at CryEngine a little bit and analyzed user comments and here is what I see:

CryEngine is less stable with fewer releases and updates over time. It's more complex to get into with less documentation and fewer examples. They don't have an asset store yet and even when they do it'll take a while to catch up.

With Unreal 4 there are regular updates, a clear roadmap of features coming, which you can vote on to see they get implemented sooner. It has a nice asset store that is growing every day. The user community is huge. The software is more stable. And the documentation and tutorials are really, really well done.
System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0085
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2015 16:19
I'm considering poking around more with Unity. I saw a quick demo on how to put a simple FPS level together in a matter of 10 to 30 minutes.
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 19:04:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 19:04:13