Multiplayer / Possible idea on how to fix the multiplayer problem.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 26th Feb 2015 20:34
Hi there! As of right now the multiplayer in gameguru is a big problem since your costumers also need gameguru to be able to play online since every single server is ran trough steam.

Now this is where i ask shy don't you adopt the *minecraft* style of servers?

A user sets up their own server using an outside executable or maybe even ingame itself wich other users can connect to.

Garry's mod also does this by having people connect to eachother via IP.

I don't know if this is possible given how the engine is coded to handle multiplayer but if it could adopt this system i think it would work out better for everyone!

Thanks for reading my feedback !
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2015 21:35
Hi JeliLiam,

Firstly, Welcome to the forums!

With regards to Multiplayer in GameGuru, we wanted to release a stable and fun experience for the Steam release. This currently means that the lobbies are capped at 8 players per lobby and all games are played via Steam servers.

GameGuru is very much a community lead project, so, if a feature is requested enough, it will surely be done.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers

Jay.

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
dont you still need minecraft etc?
a very basic multiplayer only code/download on steam might be another option? but i guess in time it'll just be cheaper to buy GG and thus not really needed
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
xCept
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
@smallg, yes, and in that way GameGuru is the same as each person needs a copy to play a multiplayer map in it. The confusion comes because GameGuru itself can produce standalone games, which will not work for multiplayer without still requiring GameGuru. For the record, TGC is officially classifying GameGuru as a "game" itself but I believe some of these standalone multiplayer concerns will need to be addressed in the future.
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, AMD Phenom X6 1100T 3.60 GHz CPU (Passmark: 5934), NVIDIA Geforce GTX-680 2GB GPU (Passmark: 5712), G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
kulet
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2015 07:13
@xCept, Game Guru is a game now? Not a game developing software/engine anymore? I thought this is a game making software? The reason I pledge gold is because I want to make professional looking games that can be sold anywhere in 1,2, and 3 easy steps. Do you mean I just wasted my money on a game? Not a game development program? How can I promote a game made here if TGC classified this as a game, definitely people will think of my game as a product of just a game only, maybe just a mod and buying it will not be a good idea. People will not try my game because they will think that this it is not professional no matter how good it is.

At first, when it is FPSC-R, I thought this will be a game developing software like the others, now it is called a game. So no matter how hard I will try and how cool the game I will make here, it will not matter anymore, because it will be created from just a game.

All the advertisements, I thought this is a powerful game maker, and I thought it wrong, and I guess it is my mistake, and no one is to blame. Maybe I did not read things clearly? Or I did not research clearly that this is not a game making software, it is just a game, to tell you the truth guys, I am depressed right now, because I just borrowed the money I used to pledge here to my wife, I keep on convincing her that this is an investment, and a development software that can add a little income to us while we are doing our real life job. And here in our place, 100 dollars is not small, because I live in a 3rd world country. Now, what will I tell her. It's too depressing. Anyway it's my fault....
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2015 09:48
@Kulet,

Quote: "Game Guru is a game now? Not a game developing software/engine anymore? I thought this is a game making software? The reason I pledge gold is because I want to make professional looking games that can be sold anywhere in 1,2, and 3 easy steps. Do you mean I just wasted my money on a game? Not a game development program?"

GameGuru is both a game and a game making engine. It is blurring the lines between the both. You can make a quick multiplayer map in 10 minutes, create a lobby and be playing your map with your friends in a matter of minutes. However, if you wanted to make a serious single player game with multiple levels, making use of clever scripting, you still can. You can utilise the power the LUA and create a truly original game using your own models or using store purchased assets. You can then sell that game and keep all of the profit. No royalties to pay.

Quote: "How can I promote a game made here if TGC classified this as a game, definitely people will think of my game as a product of just a game only, maybe just a mod and buying it will not be a good idea. People will not try my game because they will think that this it is not professional no matter how good it is."

If your game is good, people will play it. Look at the Stanley Parable. Made in the source engine (sandbox engine used for Half Life), it sold thousands of copies on Steam. Everyone knew where it came from and what it was made with, but, the game was good, so it sold.

Quote: "At first, when it is FPSC-R, I thought this will be a game developing software like the others, now it is called a game. So no matter how hard I will try and how cool the game I will make here, it will not matter anymore, because it will be created from just a game. "

Again, just because it is classified as a game on Steam, doesn't make it any less of the great engine you were using before. It now has extra features and will continue to have extra features added as the community requests them.

Quote: "All the advertisements, I thought this is a powerful game maker, and I thought it wrong, and I guess it is my mistake, and no one is to blame. Maybe I did not read things clearly? Or I did not research clearly that this is not a game making software, it is just a game, to tell you the truth guys, I am depressed right now, because I just borrowed the money I used to pledge here to my wife, I keep on convincing her that this is an investment, and a development software that can add a little income to us while we are doing our real life job. And here in our place, 100 dollars is not small, because I live in a 3rd world country. Now, what will I tell her. It's too depressing. Anyway it's my fault...."

If you are passionate about it and have the drive to complete a game, I am sure you will do just fine. Remember, making a full game is not an easy task and can take years to complete on your own. This engine, just makes that whole process easier. Plus, you have the awesome community here for any help or guidance.

I hope this helps answer a question or two.

Cheers

Jay.

kulet
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2015 14:38
@Jay, Thanks, what a relief, and thanks for opening my eye... Because I am really afraid of my wife.. LOL! Seriously... Wohoo...
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2015 14:41
@Kulet,

No problem.

I know the feeling about being scared of wives. Mine has been going to Kickboxing for the past 2 years..........

Cheers

Jay.

Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2015 19:33
I would imagine at some point they will have a free stand-alone app for multiplayer akin to the Unity webplayer used for browser games. I would think that should allow for MP in standalone games without the SA game needing to be greenlit.

If that it is not something they are considering, then they really should.
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC, Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1024x1280
kulet
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2015 10:01
@unfamillia, my wife is a sharp shooter... wooohh...
Avram
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2015 12:25
@Errant AI: I agree, something like free multiplayer-only standalone client should be made, we can't force everyone to buy GameGuru in order to play multiplayer version of our games.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 01:53:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 01:53:59