Multiplayer / How does Multiplayer work with Custom and Store media?

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Gears of War 4
Posted: 22nd Feb 2015 18:39
I am curious how multiplayer works with custom media. What happens If I create a lobby with all custom media and some store media.

Will the other players have to have the media purchased from the store and the same custom media in their libraries? Or will the media automatically be downloaded so they can play in the lobby?
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2015 20:51
That is an excellent question. I will have to do some research and find out.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2015 21:47
The custom/store media is encrypted, then uploaded to Steam workshop. When someone connects to your lobby they will be asked to download the level from workshop. Once downloaded the engine will decrypt the media needed into memory and run the level.

They will not need to buy anything or have the media in order to test a level with you.
Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz (Passmark: 9021), 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked (Passmark: 8056)
PM
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2015 22:27
Yes that's how it works. Longer term we would offer the players the chance to easily view any media in a game in the store. So maybe at the end they can choose to add all stock media into their store cart for checking and purchasing.

@teamhalo, you're buildings are being used in my test levels and they work great. I would just ask that you create some that;
- have easy access to the roof, ie via stairs
- on some balconies have smaller railings so players can jump over them
- have their own flooring

Rick
Development Director

TGC Team
Slaur3n
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2015 23:05 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2015 23:47
BSPs weapons and terrain texture are not working. the weapons are not showing up for the other player who joined me. Same with terrain tex

First screen is how it supposed to look like, I can see him holding a rifle, but he cant see anything, neither shoot. Second screen shows his view, terrain now has the cartoony textures instead of my custom
Your signature has been erased by a mod! Too large

Attachments

Login to view attachments
teamhalo
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Gears of War 4
Posted: 23rd Feb 2015 00:00
Thank you all for responding and clarifying how the process goes! I am really excited to play maps with custom media.

@Rick thanks for the kind words about my models. I will be expanding the building types exponentially in the coming months. I have a lot planned and my next set of buildings will have the features you have requested and will be more unique. After a final batch of buildings this week I will be releasing all the ones I have put together so far as a Volume 1 building pack.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2015 21:21
Hi Slauren,

OK we'll take a look at this, would be good to support all these third party weapons. Hopefully it'll be an easy fix.

Rick
Development Director

TGC Team
pianodavy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2015 23:58
The problem with the test was in not being sure what was supposed to be in the game environment - was there a various array of weapons and characters demonstrating their awesome AI capabilities? Well, the places i went to had working weapons but nobody inserted any bot characters from what I could tell. However, the 2 other fellows who were in the game could communicate amply and the world had a pretty good look to it. Gee, I wasn't sure what to look for but the environment seemed to carry a really decent sense realism, considering how quickly everything was tossed together. I reckon since this is suppose to appeal to those who desire the quickest shortcuts to assembling their own gaming environments that this multi-player test should be considered a measured success - you use your own dang yardstick by the way! Any who, thanks for letting me be an early tryer outer.
All you need is love....so let me have your burger.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 20:24:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 20:24:06