Off Topic / Tech questions about WiFi and routers

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2014 09:30
I want to add a router in my lounge room that will connect to my wifi if that males sense, basically I want to use a cable with my Sony and foxtel and have the router connected to my network via WiFi, anyone done this before and have router recommendations?

PC Specs: Windows 7 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz

Feel free to visit and edit the public FPSCR resource wiki page: http://fpscrresource.wikispaces.com/home
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2014 01:49 Edited at: 20th Sep 2014 02:57
(Disclaimer: I am not nor have I ever claimed to be a networking guru of any sort! I just speak from my own personal experience and knowledge. Actual terminology/definitions may differ. I am a broadband communications technician, plain and simple, but have boldly ventured into these areas on my own accord, mostly out of curiosity!) If I understand you correctly, you want to use the wireless router as a wireless bridge? If so, you would need to install DD-WRT, which is basically installing new firmware into the router. Unless, of course, the router already has bridging capabilities. (there are, I believe, at least two different kinds of bridging, they just go in opposite directions, very important! One bridges through your modem, the other bridges wireless to Ethernet, basically running in reverse, so don't just buy a router simply because it has "bridged" mode) An easier way to go would be to simply buy a wireless bridge, or use a power line Ethernet adaptor. Or, better yet, run a Cat 5 or 6 and use a $10 (US) switch.

A link to wireless bridges at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=wireless+bridge&N=-1&isNodeId=1

That Linksys WUMC710 Wi-Fi Wireless AC1300 5GHz looks like a pretty good deal! We use the same kind as an access point ( a one-port version with the Cisco label) at work to stream hi def video (3 streams simultaneously, people have done up to 6 successfully with no hiccups) and it works fantastic. Only 3 stars rating there so results may differ! Be sure your wifi access point supports 5Ghz though, LOL, good luck!

Sorry, I've edited this so much I forgot most of what I was thinking, LOL! I was just looking at that Edimax bridge for $29.99 and it looks an even better deal. Not familiar with the brand, but it got 4 stars!

Another edit: I just realized that they may have different offerings in Australia, even though I believe the standards are global (they are, I looked). So I looked, Oh, my God! HUGE difference! I don't even know what to advise you on. Looking at the choices, I think the HAWKING HWABN1 Hi-Gain Wireless-300N Access Point/Bridge would do the trick. AUD$129.70. I have no idea how much that is in comparison! Sorry!

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:46:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:46:51