Off Topic / [LOCKED] CryEngine 3 - I'm Sold

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 02:44
I just subscribed to UE4 on Monday. Played around with it a bit and it lives up to it's name! Like I mentioned earlier, I have "played" with UDK3 a while back, but UE4 is simply amazing. A LOT to learn, and, as someone mentioned above, it's more necessary that it be tackled by a team. Nonetheless, I'm going to continue playing with it while I await the next beta here. I'm thinking about converting some Reloaded assets and creating identical scenes in both and just see how they compare in performance vs. simplicity. That alone should occupy my free time for at least this next month.

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 08:55
Quote: "I'm thinking about converting some Reloaded assets and creating identical scenes in both"

I wouldn't do that if I were you.........you will be upset that Reloaded doesn't look the same! haha. I used some of my SciFi media inside UE4 and I was blown away. Just taking a screenshot of the media in the editor, looked better than some of renders that I made to advertise the media in the first place!

Wish you the best of luck with UE4! I look forward to seeing any progress made.

Cheers

Jay.

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 14:25
Quote: "I wouldn't do that if I were you.........you will be upset that Reloaded doesn't look the same!"

LOL, I'm sure you're right, but I'll take my chances! I tried converting one of the buildings from the new city pack and I discovered it uses multiple diffuse textures (5, I think). I realize that it's possible, but kinda not recommended. Do you think that's really a good thing considering it comes from TGC?

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 20:32
I was always told to stay clear of multi textures. Obviously, corresponding shader maps (_D, _N, _S, _I) are OK, but, not multiple diffuse!

I haven't actually looked at the pack yet. I purchased it pretty much straight away, but, haven't really played with Reloaded, except for testing a few models for a client.

I wouldn't have expected TGC to use multi textres?!

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2014 04:46
Quote: "I wouldn't have expected TGC to use multi textres?!"

I didn't either; that caught me by surprise and why I asked for your opinion! I've known for quite some time that the Directx format carries it's texture info with it and multiple textures can be done, but it has always been stressed during the development of this engine that it was not the way to go. (I have no idea of the limitations of the .dbo format, but Ultimate Unwrap's .dbo plugin imports them just fine.) I have assumed that even if it works now, will it in the future? Thought it kinda odd that they would sell something like that, and, the texture names don't follow the file naming convention. Just another thing I found odd. Anyway, UE4 does not like them! I realize it's not to be expected, but I'm just mentioning it. That was building01, fyi. Haven't tried any others yet.

PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2015 15:10
now both engines are free i got crytek half a year ago and it is nice indeed and i had an island with palm trees very fast. but i think in CT you can not build a standalone .exe
https://de-de.facebook.com/nunciogame (my point and click adventure)
http://www.nuncio-rap.de (everything i do in my free time)
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 19th May 2015 22:15
I decided to give this another look so I bought the steam subscription and got the latest 3.7 build. I made the mistake of just trying to jump in and do something and that was a bad idea. I almost gave up because I just couldn't figure out how to do anything useful.

However, after watching just one series of tutorial videos by World of Level Design, I quickly learned how to not only do something useful, but how to put GG to shame and then some. Wow. After only an investment of about an hour in short 7-13 minute tutorials, I can procedurally generate an entire terrain, texture it, fill with vegetation, rivers, roads, add rain and lightning, vehicles, and enemy AI. It just took a little bit of learning and not much at that. And not only does it look amazing, the default player has multiple weapons, a mini map, and automatically swims when underwater. Oh, and with just one keystroke, the player goes from first person to third person in-game. Yeah, it's pretty awesome. And that's just with what comes out-of-the-box.

I'll post a video of my first game map in action when I get a chance to play around with the engine some more. But, if anyone is interested in this engine, definitely check out the World of Level Design tutorials. The engine, although capable of so much more, can be useful with just a little bit of effort from a good teacher.
System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0085
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2015 22:30 Edited at: 19th May 2015 22:35
cant wait to see the video
really, I want to see what you can create as lets say "beginner" at cryengine.
I don't mean that you are a beginner dev, just mean that "that I am interested what someone can do" after a few hrs. with the cryengine, with not much exp. with THAT engine before

how many assets come with the engine?
some trees, rocks, buildings characters, etc.?
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2015 12:29 Edited at: 20th May 2015 12:29
This may be an off topic thread, but continued attacks on our products for no other reason than to do so won't be tolerated (This includes veiled comparisons designed for nothing more than to vent anger rather than provide actual useful feedback). . This is the last time I will warn users, if you feel another engine suits your needs better, please go and use it. We clearly aren't the product you are looking for. You own GameGuru for life, so maybe it will be more to your liking in months to come.

We are continuing to develop GameGuru and it is moving forward at a fast rate. However, users all have different needs and although we try, we clearly aren't able to please everyone all the time.

SC.
i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 20th May 2015 16:34 Edited at: 20th May 2015 16:41
Dave, GG could be a great product if it continues to improve. And it's still not a bad product right now. I still like it and will continue to hold out hope that it'll be truly great someday. But without really challenging the team to strive for more and to show them what else there is, it won't happen.

By showing how other products do things is a great way for TGC to see what's possible. And that's my intention. The perceived weakness I see with this whole project is the seeming lack of desire to analyze other products to see where GG can be made better. I honestly think that if I hadn't hammered my suggestions into TGC's heads that we wouldn't have free flight edit mode or some other features that were desperately needed. Taking a look at some cool stuff from CryEngine can only help.

I'm not GG's enemy. Otherwise I wouldn't be here. I'd just move on. I keep coming back because I want the product to achieve greatness.

EDIT: For the record, every other major game engine has threads that compare engine capabilities and even sometimes put engines in a bad light. I've never seen them locked or moderators threatening to shut them down. Suppressing such topics is a good way to stifle healthy debate and product growth.
System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0085
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 20th May 2015 16:39 Edited at: 20th May 2015 16:50
Quote: "how many assets come with the engine?
some trees, rocks, buildings characters, etc.?"

It's certainly not as much as GG, that's for sure, but there's enough in the main download to make something very cool. I haven't gone through all of it, but you definitely get the following:

-a default player with pistol, grenade, machine gun, and shotgun
-An enemy character with machine gun (you can change the weapons he has of course)
-Lots of trees, grass, rocks, and bushes
-Various terrain textures (grass, rock, mud, river beds, ocean floor, etc.)
-Some buildings, docks, etc.
-Pickups such as health packs, ammo, etc.
-Lots of particle effects

I know there's more, but not sure of all the exact content yet. I just played with some of it so far. It does come with 2 complete demo levels and one is an entire airstrip with hangars and fences, etc.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2015 18:46
Quote: "But without really challenging the team to strive for more and to show them what else there is, it won't happen."

Development in GameGuru doesn't happen in a bubble, nor does it happen overnight. As with all things; it takes time, User/Community input, trial and error and relentless dedication. This Ship has just left dry-dock; we have a LONG journey ahead of us.

Quote: "The perceived weakness I see with this whole project is the seeming lack of desire to analyze other products to see where GG can be made better. I honestly think that if I hadn't hammered my suggestions into TGC's heads that we wouldn't have free flight edit mode or some other features that were desperately needed."

Lee and Rick are well aware of the other game engines and tech that is out there today. What you "perceive" is simply not a reality. There are many users here who have offered valid suggestions, you included. But let's not try to boil it down to one person's suggestions, that made development swing one way or another. It's a group effort here.

Quote: "EDIT: For the record, every other major game engine has threads that compare engine capabilities and even sometimes put engines in a bad light. I've never seen them locked or moderators threatening to shut them down. Suppressing such topics is a good way to stifle healthy debate and product growth."

Comparing engines is one thing. Talking about other companies products, is one thing. Making statements like "I quickly learned how to not only do something useful, but how to put GG to shame and then some.", among others....is not helpful. We have said as much on many occasions. I have no interest in what other Forum Admins do on their boards; that is for them to decide. What does interest me, is a user who ceaselessly seems to want to nit-pick any and all perceived issues with a product that has just barely left EA status.

We hear you. We understand the direction the Community wants things to progress towards. We appreciate you all, and we will continue to work very hard to craft a product that will be very useful to anyone who desires to create their own games, simulations, educational tools, virtual walk-throughs....or anything else you can think of.

Tom; there is a limit to what we will allow here. You have reached that limit.

Intel Core i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:00:12
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:00:12