Tutorials & Guides / [LOCKED] getting models with multiple textures into reloaded

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2014 19:59
Getting a model with multiple textures into FPSCR.
A tutorial by Wolf

What you need: Basic understanding of handling a 3D modeling software and beginner skills in Unwrapping. An image editing tool. The patience of a zen master.

First of all: You can get a model with multiple textures into FPSC by making it dynamic and not have a texturepath in the FPE. That is however not recommended for static scenery and level geometry.

Hello and welcome to my tutorial. The following rudimentary lines will teach you how to import a "multitextured" model into FPSCR.
Many of you are determined game makers and have likely bought some kind of modelpack from the many indie-asset stores around the internet. Some of you
pirated or ripped some stuff for a (hopefully) private game. Either way, many of these assets are not designed for FPSCR and are geared more towards unity
or udk. Especially architectural assets have a tendency to use multiple textures on the same entity and this is harder to import into FPSCR.
Now some of you might complain that Engine X has a fancy "drag and drop" or "one click" importer that just drops these models right in the engine... but
FPSCR doesn't have that (yet) and we are going to get this stuff ready the old school way.

If you wonder why gamedevelopment can be so tedious I give to you straight.

A ) Its because whe are making games and not playing them
B ) Making games has a slightly masochistic quality to it. Like it or quit it. All the other engines have it aswell...just in different areas.

Open your model in your 3D editor of choice.

Yes! You are going to need some 3D Modeling software. (Cheaper solutions such as fragmotion or Ultimate Unwrap 3D are okay.) I will show you the steps in fragmotion but they are similar in most 3D solutions. So some creativity from your part is required if you have a different program ...especially something bloated from autodesk. I always recommend to read an unwrapping tutorial of your program of choice. You will need it sooner or later anyway.

Now: Our model in fragmotion.

You should now check the textures used on the model, I highlighted the part where you can look into that in fragmotion red but, again, different software will have it elsewhere.
What we need to do is combine all these textures into a single texture. (Usually people make sure that the texture is a power of two. Meaning 1024*1024 /
2048*2048 etc.) At this point I discovered that the model I was making ready for JCLeon had tiled single textures. A fact that delayed this short tutorial for a couple days because I lost all motivation working on this afterwards. Its still a little rushed, but a promise is a promise.
Let me explain to you whats up with tiled textures: You can expand the UV's of your model beyond the boundaries of your texture. So if your texture is
256*256 you can lay the UV's over its borders up to any resolution you want. It will just be tiled then. This makes it easy to texture walls and floors but makes it harder to get the textures on a single map which you can no longer tile (at least fragmotion can't.) Did that make any sense? No? Moving on:

You can make individual textures for different models or one giant texture that has all the parts of the modelpack. They often fit on a 4096*4096
texturemap. This is up to what is more practical depending on your models and sense of optimisation.

Combined texture map in PSPX4. You can use any other image-editing software you prefer.
You will of course align the shadermaps aswell...that can be tedious. For the demonstration model, I just generated new ones out of simplicity. If you prefer using the ones you purchased, I recommend working with the alignment rulers of your software and using a "material" brush.

You will now have to import the texture and make a new material of it. Choose the new texture as a background and align the UV's to it.

Your model will likely already be unwrapped so you don't have to do the hard work, however, it might be necessary to realign some faces.
If you select the previously used materials, you can chose the vertices assigned to said material. That will make it a relatively fast process to get all the UV's aligned. Once you are done, assign all faces to the new material with our brand new texture and export the model.

You can now drop your model into reloaded and it should work fine.

Remember: Purchasing models of the TGC store comes with a guarantee that they work in reloaded. If you buy packs on external sites you likely need to put in some time and basic modeling skills to get them to work. Its never easy
It is likely that models with multiple textures will be supported in the future and render this tutorial obsolete. I certainly hope this will happen because I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of anyone who has to realign all the UV layouts of a large dexsoft pack.

The model in reloaded. Keep in mind that for this corridor-kinda thing to look good you will need lightmapping which we don't have yet.

A regulary unwrapped model will be converted relatively fast. If it tiles its single textures, you will need to put in a lot of tedious extra work. If there will be no support in the near future...ask the creators before purchase how their models are textured in regard to this. 'till then! Happy gamemaking. You can keep all the typos you find.

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
I must read it atm but I'm very grate to you and many many many many thanks.......

thanks again..

PC Specs:

Q9550@3,8GHZ - 8GB RAM - SVGA HD6870 1GB - HDD WD 1500TB
PM
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm attempting to follow the tutorial..but cant understand some passages

i'm stucked at

Combined texture map in PSPX4. You can use any other image-editing software you prefer.
You will of course align the shadermaps aswell...that can be tedious. For the demonstration model, I just generated new ones out of simplicity. If you prefer using the ones you purchased, I recommend working with the alignment rulers of your software and using a "material" brush.

what means? that??

and to geenrate a single texturemap I can simply open paint.net and create a texture e.g. 406x4096 and after put all m textures into it?

why in the 2nd image the lower part of the texturemap is greyed ??

sorry for my stupid question but I need to understand...

PC Specs:

Q9550@3,8GHZ - 8GB RAM - SVGA HD6870 1GB - HDD WD 1500TB
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2014 00:03
Hello JC LEON,

I try to help:

Quote: "Combined texture map in PSPX4. You can use any other image-editing software you prefer.
You will of course align the shadermaps aswell...that can be tedious. For the demonstration model, I just generated new ones out of simplicity. If you prefer using the ones you purchased, I recommend working with the alignment rulers of your software and using a "material" brush."

This means that you will have to make a single image (texture) with all the other images (textures) the model needs in it.
You will also have to do that with the shadermaps or you can just make new ones.

Quote: "and to geenrate a single texturemap I can simply open paint.net and create a texture e.g. 406x4096 and after put all m textures into it?"

Yes!

Quote: "why in the 2nd image the lower part of the texturemap is greyed ??"

Those are the floor and ceiling textures. They look greyed because I zoomed out a lot.

-Wolf

"absurdity has become necessity"
Gervais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2014 17:28
Wolf

This is what I was needing I have plenty of models that do use multiple textures and I was searching for a way of converting them to use only one texture and the two tools you did mention are doing the thing I needed

Thanks you very much for this tutorial

Gervais
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 12:46
You're welcome!
Always happy to help a fellow dev.

-Wolf