Work In Progress / [WIP] Rescue the Princess

Author
User Banned
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 22:43

Developer Name: tomjscott

Story: You are Jharym, the prince of Silvervale, on a quest to rescue the kidnapped Princess Arianna before she is executed by the reptilian Skeeth from the northern empire of Morgate. You must restore your health before embarking on a journey to save the princess. Acquire the magic fire blast spell and confront the Skeeth and their orc allies before they kill the princess.

Features:

-full keyboard and mouse button input
-custom GUI interface
-fire blast spell power
-flying pet ally who fights alongside you in battle
-collectible items
-lootable monsters
-a riddle to solve
-and more

Download Demo: http://fpscrgames.thegamecreators.com/download/PrincessRescue-Final1.zip

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0071
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 23:06
Current development on this project was on hold as I was awaiting version 1.009 before implementing any significant new features. However, since the demo release I've fixed a few bugs and converted to the 1.0085 engine. I have decided to proceed with additional changes and features as I await 1.009.

I'll be adding 3D sounds to my demo now that I have that feature implemented in my Omega Core demo. I know this is really going to bring the demo to life, especially in the area of combat. I now have the ability to have my monsters footsteps being heard, their attacks, taunts, battle rage roar, and more. I can now also implement multiple sounds for player footsteps so there is a different sound outdoors as opposed to in the caverns section.

I will also be adding more scripting for my monsters to be able to patrol on waypoints and return home when they are no longer aggro. By the time I have all these new features implemented, 1.009 should be here and I'll be able to provide a new demo version for testing.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0071
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2014 01:18 Edited at: 30th Aug 2014 01:20
There is a lot going on in in this game level that warrants merit and the attention to detail and scripting skills are impressive.

I only got as far as the second area of the game and could not find the key to the crypt anywhere,

I wandered around that area for a long time during which time the wolf died (mysteriously) and had to give up eventually.

Upon pressing escape I had no mouse pointer to select with and was going to use task manager when the game crashed.

Don't get me wrong this is beta software and your going to find things go wrong no matter how well designed your game is,

it can be a struggle and unforeseen issues arise on other systems, this was probably one of those.

It is a very well put together and thought out game with a really nice atmosphere, limited a little by available assets,

but the creator has done an excellent job with what he has and found the necessary assets he required and adapted to suit his vision.

He has also went far outside the box and taken Reloaded to a level far exceeding what is supposed to be capable of at this time and that always gains extra points from me.

All told I will be playing this again and see if I can get through to the end this time.

it has a story and enough depth and atmosphere to keep me interested and I kept wondering what the designer had in store for me as the player next.

Great work.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 30th Aug 2014 03:53
Thanks for the comments, Rolfy. It is appreciated. I can help you with the key if you really get stuck. Since at that point you still haven't even gotten to a lot of what I have in store for you. It's location was actually an idea my daughter had and I liked it so I went with it.

As far as not being able to use the menu when hitting escape, that's a known bug and there is a workaround. Because of the nature of my GUI and the flickering torch effect, if the torch is on when you hit escape, you won't be able to click on the menu items. I'm working on a way to fix this, but for now just turn the torch off before you press escape.

tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 30th Aug 2014 03:55
Also, as far as how the wolf died, that's by design and if you pay close attention to the wolf during your time in the ruins, you'll see just how that all works itself out.

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2014 16:29
Quote: "during which time the wolf died (mysteriously)"

I'm downloading this now and will give it a go.

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"
Shadow man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 02:36
I gave this a play through and while it is a bit rough around the edges , so to speak , there is some very clever
and good scripting going on here,.........as I am someone that can't script to save my life, I can only dream of making
something like this,.......so I will humbly bow down before you sir,..

Finding "THAT" dam key took me a long time, and I almost gave up, but I was so impressed with everything
else in the game it made me want to carry on to the end no matter what,.... and I did.

Some seriously impressive stuff going on in this game,.......well worth playing in my opinion.
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 03:38
Thanks, Shadow man. I am working on ironing out the rough spots. For the contest, I simply ran out of time as this was a very ambitious project as you can see. I've already fixed a few nagging issues and will be polishing this in the weeks to come. The finale was particularly rushed and that was compounded by the fact that the dreaded black texture issue forced me to almost do a complete re-do of all the assets in that area.

The latest version that I am working on includes true 3D sound, a modified finale, the cave system fully completed, and a fully working GUI, and more.

Shadow man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 04:39
I think the rough spots in your game are there simply because reloaded it's self is a bit rough at the moment,......
not because you did anything wrong.
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 04:47
Quote: "I think the rough spots in your game are there simply because reloaded it's self is a bit rough at the moment,......
not because you did anything wrong."

Well, thank you for the vote of confidence. I did have to deal with a lot of limitations and a few bugs in Reloaded, but I have my share of bugs and incomplete game features. Still, I am happy with the overall result and I learned a lot from the experience.

Shadow man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 05:44
Quote: "I did have to deal with a lot of limitations and a few bugs in Reloaded"

Well tell me about it tom . When I made Desert Heat I had to completely rebuild it from scratch again
after updating to the new beta, and then after that I had to try to figure out why it was still crashing back
to desktop all the time after that,..........by the time I sorted all that out the deadline was upon me and I
had no time left to put every thing in the game that I wanted to,.....hence I did not make it into the top ten,
so I am still blaming reloaded for that
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 15:54
I feel your pain, Shadow man. In phase 2 when we went from 1.0071 to 1.008 it took a solid week just to get all the major issues resolved so I could get back to making my level. There was one bug in particular for me that I went back and forth with SC with a new test version to debug an issue that completely blocked me. I sure wish I had had that extra week.

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 21:56
The game crashes for me, unfortunately and my antivirus regards the omegacore.dll as a virus.

Shame really! I was looking forward playing this. The game itself crashes on a bunch of error messages regarding LUA.

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 22:22
@Wolf, if omegacore.dll is considered a virus then that is why the game crashes with Lua errors. If it can't load omegacore then Lua errors will ensue. You just need to tell your antivirus that it's not a threat. There is nothing in it that is dangerous I
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 1st Sep 2014 02:49
I put up a promo video for Rescue the Princess. It should be in the video gallery soon, but here is the link for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQlAQsF8HfI&index=2&list=UUVs6aFEzo2Xb8mwiUK29U6A

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 03:54 Edited at: 7th Nov 2014 03:55
Hey that was pretty fun! Got about a good hour of gameplay. Really clever scripting, especially the ending...stupid me kept drowning.... Was able to find 6 out of 7 trinkets, I'll probably play through again, see if I can find the seventh.

Hopefully once FPSCR gets some updates you'll be able to expand on the game, really polish it up. I have a really good compuer and it ran like a slug

Otherwise, allot of fun. Good stuff.

Inmortalis Nox
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 03:58
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I'm really hoping v1.009 will improve performance and allow me to do a few more things I was unable to do. I definitely have plans to expand it some more and fix up some loose ends things that I didn't have time to do for the competition.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0085
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 12th Feb 2015 17:18
It's been a long time since I updated this thread and it's mainly because I haven't spent any time working on this project since a week or so after the competition. I see that 1.01 of the engine is now released and I am hopeful that this is going to be feature-rich enough and stable enough that I can finally put some serious effort into getting this game demo cleaned up and in tip-top shape for the steam release.

I'll be replacing some functionality with new features that have since been implemented as well as improving my own use of the Omega Core plugin, particularly in the area of 3D sounds. Wherever possible I'll use the new image loading system for HUD elements, but may still need to utilize my custom GUI for other things.

I'll grab 1.01 tonight and give it a test run.
System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0085

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 16:13:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 16:13:19