Showcase / Commando Finished Competition Version

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 17:48 Edited at: 5th Apr 2015 04:31
COMMANDO

By: Dvader

Hi everyone.
As it is all over and Commando placed 9th in the end. I though I may as well post the demo as far as it went. Many, many hours went into this game, probably 200+ in the end, and that is being conservative. Mostly reworking things that broke with new releases, and then doing again with another subsequent release In the end each single tweak took around 10-20 mins due to having to rely on standalone's to test them. I still spent 6 days tweaking it like that though. The game never quite got where I wanted it, but those are the breaks. I'm sure all entrants have had issues of varying degrees. I think we all deserve a "Doggedly Determined" Badge or such for our efforts in this compo

Okay, onto the actual game...

The basic premise such as it is, follows thus:

You have been dropped into the Rub' al Khali Desert to investigate an organization suspected of dealing in Hi Tech Weaponry and dubious Genetic research. You have to infiltrate the base and find evidence of illegal research, and a secret new weapon they have devised. Once done send a message to the troops and get out! The Bonus gun is NOT the secret weapon, it is merely a bonus you can pick up at some point if you want a full score.

It's a slightly tongue in cheek Duke Nukem style affair (or was intended that way, wanted to add more stuff, but memory limits prevented this) My Duke impressions were probably in need of work, and a better script More time and less bugs, possibly I could have got it as I wanted.

Here is the link for the game: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52565492/commando%20v1.8%20f.zip

Have fun! Let me know what you think! Also, as my system struggles with it for some reason, performance reports would be welcome also!

Well done to all entrants of the compo! I know how long I took with mine, so I'm sure everyone put in heaps of work over the last few months!

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nuska
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, I greatly enjoyed your game
my question is how you made your start screen and how you've linked this with the game.
PM
GeekyGaming
Years of Service
User Offline
I have mix reviews on the game, but I want to see your reply back before I take the time to actually go into details about it.
Not just any gaming, but GeekyGaming!
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Crikey! This has been up for ages with no comments so missed these.

I made a menu maker package to add the intro video to the game. If you search the main forum for Menu Maker you should find it.

I can understand you may have mixed views on this game, it is getting on a bit now And GameGuru has progressed some way since this was released. It is a reasonable example of what Reloaded could do at the time. Although difficult as several updates seriously messed with things while in dev. Game Guru would do a better job with it now if I made it from scratch.

ShN33Ky
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2015 03:41
Hello DVader....! LOL

I know the feeling my friend! ....Me personally ! it is what it is where we are competing with anything good on the consoles... that being said we are creating Halo/COD like FPS games that are now a thing of the past!

GG is great software but innovation and thinking out of the box with an FPS game will be the new president! Don't let it get to you and think more along the lines of story telling and where the story go's! The people that will critique our games are only opinions of a select few! Create a game that will intrigue mega downloads and the snakes will follow....it's zall good in da hood my brothah!!!

just let it flow and grow in popularity....I will try your game this wknd and tell you my opinion! Your screen shots look great by the way...

Cheer's mate!!!

sHn33Ky
ShN33Ky
ShN33Ky
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2015 18:44
Hello DVader....I play'd your game this morning and enjoy'd it very much! Had no problem with lag or glitches and it ran very smooth on my Lenovo with 8.1 and NVidia GeForce! I'm a bit older so the techno music soundtrack was a bit irritating during game play for me and I was not able to turn it down in the menu but all in all I found the game and story line to be well Choreograph'd with triggerzones place'd appropriately creating a what I like to call "chill down the back of my neck" ambiance! I am in no way here to critique games but I would suggest 1...pack the game in a launcher! I use vishnu and though it's old it helps with a faster download! 2....I found it was hard to hear your voice Audio over the music to keep up with the story and guide me to the objective's!

Just my input....and Nice job!

cheer's!
ShN33Ky
perelect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 17:18
Well done..
I just played the game. Died a few times as well.
I found the gold gun as well...
the game crashed at the end after I got to the dock, near the gold gun location.
Just after I clicked the continue button.
not sure why, but the game was fun to play.
Keep up the good work..
I may be old, but at least my memory still ....mmm
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks! Not sure why the game crashed, but GG is still early access and sometimes can be flaky, I'm guessing it is a memory issue. No way I can fix it now as I have not got the map or even the right set up now to edit it. Onto bigger and better things hopefully!

Nevin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2015 00:54
I'm going to test this out. I will tell you what i like and dislike about your game. 30min from now it will be downloaded..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 10:23:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 10:23:09