Work In Progress / Test version of Colosso Crystal Skulls by Campana Productions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
In one of the later game levels you will. Its part of an entire ghost town level. This ship is just for looking at though.
Hold still so I can shoot you!
Colosso
Years of Service
User Offline
Unexpected runtime errors found in the game tests have delayed my latest release. Working on a fix now to figure out if it is related to the new video additions.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Colosso
Years of Service
User Offline
System errors still plague my progress, but I am making headway. I know its not the added video files.
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2017 06:31 Edited at: 18th May 2017 13:17
Colosso, are you sure the videos are not responsible, barely through their memory requirements ?
Maybe, you could try and replace all actual videos by a very small placeholder video each, named as the real video, and see whether that makes any difference regarding the errors you are experiencing?.
Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime
PM
Colosso
Years of Service
User Offline
Well yrkoon, this test did make a huge improvement. I guess I need to rethink the size and length of this intro/storyline. It has been difficult to get users who never played any of the other games in this series to understand what is going on. I will need to rethink how to present the storyline without loosing the interest of both new and old gamers, and I will need to do it smaller bits. Oh yea! another challenge.

Attachments

yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2017 18:20 Edited at: 16th May 2017 19:03
Colosso, I'm glad I could help a little.

I admittedly belong to those that have never played your other games, and frankly speaking, you should not expect that others are familiar with your previos games. If you want that, the "regular" way would be a series of games in the same manner, i.e., they should all be made in GG.

I am not the most avid gamer of them all, but I am not aware that there are many games that strictly and thoroughly rely on the gamers' intimacy with previous instances of the series. When you think of the "Gothic" Fantasy Game series, you can start with any of its games and even go back to a previous member of the series and still have LOTS of fun, with very few giveaways from a higher instance against a lower.

Maybe, there is no need for many videos. If you should happen to know about the Call of Cthulhu RPGs: they are relying heavily on background, and this is never done by videos, but by carefully designed printed handouts, often in the form of photos, fake handwritten letters, scribblings on anything, excerpts from books, newspapers and magazines, and so on; so, in a computer game, they can easily and economically be presented as pictures.
PM
Colosso
Years of Service
User Offline
That makes good sense, and I realized long ago the presentation of the storyline was poor on my latest game. Thanks for the suggestions on how to involve the end users without loosing them. This will definitely help.
Colosso
Years of Service
User Offline
Still a work in progress after 2 years. I haven't had this much trouble completing a game concept in years.

Attachments

Colosso
Years of Service
User Offline
I have not given up on this game. I just have a lot happening right now, but the game is still growing. No release date yet for the latest update, but major changes have been made. You can keep up with some of my new game assets in the Game Creators Store.

https://www.tgcstore.net/artist/180055

Attachments

yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2017 17:39 Edited at: 24th Jul 2017 17:41
Glad you keep working on it, Colosso. Now, we all know that you have this biiiiiiiiig picture of your game in your mind's vision, and that's ok.

But while you're making things perfect, why not issue a level or two for us to test? Surely, you won't be working on "everything" simultaneously ?
If you explicitly say : "Please test this for functionality, performance issues and playability ONLY", people will get less irritated than they used to by not-so-easy-to-apprehend story lines in your game.

And remember: you alone cannot make your game foolproof enough, because us fools are way to creative.

Imagine yourself thinking that you have finished a well-done game, you being ready for well-deserved rest, and then the "storm of little things" sets in, because everybody and his brother are complaining of little quirks and things, each possibly taking only 5 minutes to fix, but when they come in in dozens....
just my 2 cents
Y.
PM
Colosso
Years of Service
User Offline
That is a good idea I will try again. When I first started this game project I released several levels at a time as I worked on them, but they got shredded and I was discouraged by the amount of things people complained about. It seamed as if everything was wrong from the entities quality to the story line. I have and will continue to take these bashings as learning experience. I will admit my entity creation has come a long way, so I will take your advice and release a couple of the new levels to the sharks.

Hold Still So I Can Shoot You.

Attachments

yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe, you would want to give out a level that you think is as stable as you can get it. I'm sure we'll still detect some issues you might not even have thought of , but that will narrow down corrective work, probably. And corrections may be more easily transferrable to other levels, consequently.
PM
Colosso
Years of Service
User Offline
Still working on tweaks for the first two levels while helping Lee with the Beta tests on the next upgrade for GameGuru. I have added a map to follow and some more sound bits to help the player make his way through each level with much less confusion. Also trying to add the compass to all levels to aid in following the maps.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 11:25:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 11:25:09