Off Topic / a big thanks

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I just want to say a big thank you for all the nice welcome messages I received makes me feel young age

gamemaker
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2014 21:17
I think it's fantastic that someone in their seventies is making games. Good luck!
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2014 22:09 Edited at: 19th Jul 2014 22:13
Quote: "I think it's fantastic that someone in their seventies is making games. Good luck! "

Cheeky Sod .... 53 years old here ..Witnessed the birth of home computers and games ( an incredible time )

Saw it all from space invaders in the pubs, The original home consoles like Atari 2600 and home computers from the BBC Micro, Vic 20 ,Commodore 64, Amiga to the PC of the day...Our generation pretty much invented every genre of game you play today...

David Braben ( Creator of Elite ) the first ever real time 3D space environment...I will bet Lee is using a similar descendant of his original code for reloaded...

So its fantastic that someone in their seventies is making games. is it....Pah !!!

Say sorry to James1943 and get to your room .... And don't come down till we say

Sorted
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2014 22:49 Edited at: 19th Jul 2014 22:57
Quote: "Saw it all from space invaders in the pubs, The original home consoles like Atari 2600 and home computers from the BBC Micro, Vic 20 ,Commodore 64, Amiga to the PC of the day...Our generation pretty much invented every genre of game you play today..."

Pffft!...my first computer was an Antikythera 2000, it was unfortunately left in a damp place for a while but I think I can clean it up real good and get it working again.

Specs:

CPU.

30 gears in a highly complex arrangement.

Graphics

It came with a nice wall mural, if that counts?

Ram.

It has slots for Two Rams and three Ewes with an optional hamster wheel for extra welly.

My favourite games were 'Gladiators' and 'Throw 'em to the Lions'.

Aye...them were the days.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Pffft!...my first computer was an Antikythera 2000"

LOL !!

Oh Yeah !!

We had stones.... we could scratch pixels on a wall...then throw stones at it...
Or we played Hunt the Mammoth........Till one day we couldn't find any ?
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 07:59
Well, I'm a youngster then at 41. My first computer was a good old ZX Spectrum with a whopping 48KB of RAM. There is still a bit of a stigma attached to the video game industry, unfortunately. People with no knowledge of the industry seem to think that everyone involved is a spotty teenager living in his mother's basement, but the reality is very far from the perception.
wildman4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 15:35
I will be 59 years old this year and still love playing some games and playing around with making them. This is what I do to "relax". When Wolfenstein 3D was still current I acquired a map editor and had loads of fun modifying it. My first time using game creation software was with The Game Creation System if I remember the correct name. It was made by one of the original programmers of Wolfenstein 3D but unfortunately disappeared shortly after the Windows based OS. I have also played around with coding in "C" but that was back in the DOS days so my coding skills have eroded with time.
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 18:42
Just a friendly reminder we have under age people on the forum, mentioning your age is not exactly allowed. :p
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Just a friendly reminder we have under age people on the forum, mentioning your age is not exactly allowed"

Really ? Did not know that ..

But surly underage should not be here ? I thought any software containing blood, guns Killing was rated 16 or over.... Even an editor if the goods are supplied ?
PM
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 19:13
The engine is not yet rated and would be rated differently depending on region, in some cases parents may buy the software for children. As a result you will find that we will end up with younger users here.

The not posting age rule only actually applies to those under 18 as set out in the AUP

Quote: "3.18 - If you are under the age of 18, you may not post your age, post a self image, or self video. Doing so may result in a temporary or full ban."

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
PM
BlackFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 19:33
Quote: "Pffft!...my first computer was an Antikythera 2000, it was unfortunately left in a damp place for a while but I think I can clean it up real good and get it working again.

Specs:
CPU.
30 gears in a highly complex arrangement.
Graphics
It came with a nice wall mural, if that counts?
Ram.
It has slots for Two Rams and three Ewes with an optional hamster wheel for extra welly.

My favourite games were 'Gladiators' and 'Throw 'em to the Lions'.

Aye...them were the days."

Two Rams and three Ewes? You must have had the DX version. Ours had two mice, one hamster, and a miniature treadmill. The extra hamster wheel must be where the upgrade happened. I swear it took forever to get an image scratched out by the mice and even then it looked like ink blots, and the hamster always slept. Had the cracker-ROM though, which made feeding easy.

Speaking of which, I should ask Xplosys if he still has a spare hamster slot...

Quote: "My first time using game creation software was with The Game Creation System if I remember the correct name. It was made by one of the original programmers of Wolfenstein 3D but unfortunately disappeared shortly after the Windows based OS."

Another one that used this... Nice to see others from the same era. Software and tools for development sure have come a long way from back then.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 19:40
@ Rolfy
Quote: "my first computer was an Antikythera 2000"

That is too funny...thanks
best
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The not posting age rule only actually applies to those under 18 as set out in the AUP"

Ah right... Well that does make perfect sense...And its a good rule !!
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 21:30 Edited at: 20th Jul 2014 21:56
Knew this would bring 'em out of the woodwork....wrinkly haven this place is....ironically it's my birthday today and I get measured for my new zimmer tomorrow

Won't mention my age cos even I find it offensive and against the AUP (Ancient Underrated People).

Anybody seen a hamster running around? Reloaded won't run without it.

BlackFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 21:50 Edited at: 20th Jul 2014 21:51
Quote: "Knew this would bring 'em out of the woodwork....wrinkly haven this place is....ironically it's my birthday today and I get measured for my new zimmer tomorrow"

Happy birthday. I'd have Cathy bake you a cake, and then I'd get hungry and eat it. So I'll email you a picture of the cake... being eaten... by the Fox family

Quote: "Won't mention my age cos even I find it offensive."

Ahhh, you are only as old as you feel.

Quote: "Anybody seen a hamster running around? Reloaded won't run without it."

A little fat black one by chance? My daughter has it, in a cage on her desk.

A teddy bear hamster. Showed up with a suitcase, his house, and said he wanted to stay here because we had lots of coffee... and donuts.

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 21:54
just thought i would mention im a wrinkly to its good to know im not the only one

cheers henry

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 22:06 Edited at: 20th Jul 2014 22:08
That might be him...though he may have disguised himself, he should be black with white patches, or should that be white with black patches?....whatever, only he would move in with someone called 'Fox'. The donuts would do it though explaining his 'roundness'..

Oh! and he should only have three legs....we got him specially since there was a rung missing from the wheel.

BlackFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 22:12
Quote: "That might be him...though he may have disguised himself, he should be black with white patches, or should that be white with black patches?....whatever, only he would move in with someone called 'Fox'. The donuts would do it though explaining his 'roundness'.."

Black with white patches, it's him. Besides, he now gets to enjoy Cathy's delicious baking and hang out with us. I can send his replacement- got a budgie bird, betta fish, cat, and dog. I'd rather send the bird- she likes to hold on to her perch and flap her wings, like she is trying to lift the cage. The wind power generated may be of some usage for you.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
I want the hamster back...or the bird gets it.

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 22:21
Quote: "just thought i would mention im a wrinkly to its good to know im not the only one"

Me to.60 next year .

Dave

AMD Phenom(tm)IIx6 1090t Processor 3.20 GHS

8.00 GB memory Windows 7 64 bit

Nvida Geforce GTX 580
PM
BlackFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 22:26
Quote: "I want the hamster back...or the bird gets it."

Keep the bird, I'm certain the Donk will have fun with it. The hamster at least is quiet, and when it is time to feed him, he sits atop his house and waves a little hamster hand. All the bird does is flap her wings and squawk non stop, mimics my darn microwave sounds or cell phone. She chirped one time and I said "who disarmed the truck alarm?" Darn bird sat on her perch nattering away at herself in the mirror ("silly human" I imagine she was saying)... She sits and whistles and the dog runs upstairs thinking one of us called her, then goes back downstairs and after a couple minutes the bird does it again, to which the dog comes back up again. This goes on for some time and, while entertaining most times, it hinders production.

No no, my friend... you keep the bird.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Just sent him a text informing him of what a Fox really is and that your just fattening him up for the pot....he'll be back.

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 22:42 Edited at: 20th Jul 2014 22:45
Guess I am in the wrinkle club also (50).

Happy Birthday Rolfy

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 4gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 00:26
Quote: "Speaking of which, I should ask Xplosys if he still has a spare hamster slot..."

Not since I upgraded to a tablet. It's a little heavy but came with a nice wireless 3gig hammer and chisel. Texting is great, but gaming is def out of the question, especially games where you have to be sneaky.

Quote: "ironically it's my birthday today"

Woah... that's just freaky. Today is my birthday too. Does that mean we're related?

Well James1943 (if that's the year you were born) you've made me feel better too. I was a teenager the very day that man first set foot on the moon. That makes me..... old enough to know better and do it anyway.

Happy game making.

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Woah... that's just freaky. Today is my birthday too. Does that mean we're related?"
...ummm... that does sound freaky

I prefer to think we just share the same stardust....aaww....happy birthday auld yin.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 01:19
Quote: "happy birthday auld yin"

Aw thanks buddy. I love it when you talk Scots.

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM
BlackFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 01:41 Edited at: 21st Jul 2014 01:45
Quote: "Not since I upgraded to a tablet. It's a little heavy but came with a nice wireless 3gig hammer and chisel. Texting is great, but gaming is def out of the question, especially games where you have to be sneaky."

Was that the 3gig ball-peen, the 3gig cross-peen, or the 3gig sledge?

Quote: "Woah... that's just freaky. Today is my birthday too. Does that mean we're related?"

Quote: "I prefer to think we just share the same stardust....aaww....happy birthday auld yin.

"

Now I know why I was the *odd man out*- my birthday is in February. Well happy birthday to you both. I will bake and eat two cakes now... with the hamster.

TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 11:20
Wow I can't believe there are so many wrinklies here, me too 50+ and proud.

My first "Computer" was the ZX80 (Which I realy looked into the progamming and this set me off on my career) I then moved onto the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A, BBC Micro and slowly started on the first real PC's 8086 --> 486 and beyond.

I wish I had kept some of these they are probably worth some money now.

I've got something to say

----

It's better to burn out than fade away.
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 12:45
When I posted on birthday (in June) and mentioned that I was turning 30, I honestly thought that I would be one of the older ones on the forums! I feel positively young again!

It does go to show how much the internet can mask someone's true identity; I have spoken to all of you a number of times and not once have I ever had the thought that you would be older than me.

Happy Birthday Rolfy. Hope you have a good one.

Cheers

Jay.

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 12:47
being 43 i feel somewhat on the youngerside of middle age so not feeling too bad reading this thread

p.s c64 ruled the 80s

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 13:11
The big question on my mind is are there any young members on here ( don't post your age if your under 18 ) or is it just us oldies ?

Cheers henry

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "c64 ruled the 80s"

Couldn't agree more !!
PM
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 14:36 Edited at: 21st Jul 2014 14:38
I'm 48 Happy Birthday Rolfy

mk83 Productions

PM
Grooovy!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 14:44

I love the Monty Python style "Four Yorkshiremen" overtones at the beginning of this thread!

Brook's Law ..."adding manpower to a late software project makes it later"
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 14:52
Looks like at 34 I am the youngest one here.Looks like I will be calling all of you uncle :p To think next Year Jan I will have used FPSC for a decade :p
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 16:42
ps happy birthday rolfy may your week of celebrating be with great enjoyment.

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 21:40
A big welcome from me as well, James1943. I'm just a youngster at age 46, but I did live through the home computer explosion. I started programming on TRS-80 and soon got my own Comnodore 64 and an Adam Computer. Those were my toys that I grew up on alongside the Atari 2600 and Colecovision.

It's awesome to see someone into this sort of thing at your age. I hope you get it all figured out and make some games that we can try out. Good luck with everything.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0071
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 11:09
I prefer to give my age in the form of my first computer, the amazing and all powerful VIC-20 And no, it did not have 20K to code with (that would have been pure wrinkly heaven right there).

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I prefer to give my age in the form of my first computer, the amazing and all powerful VIC-20 And no, it did not have 20K to code with (that would have been pure wrinkly heaven right there)."

VIC20 !! my very first machine
And unless you were rich and had a 16k expansion ...You only had 3.5k to play with
PM
Grooovy!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 13:56 Edited at: 29th Jul 2014 13:57
Nobody have a Dragon 32 here?

They were cool... I created my first flat file database system with it!

A Welsh company, too I believe...

Brook's Law ..."adding manpower to a late software project makes it later"
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 13:58
Looks like I'm a real young one here at 25, almost 26 but

PC Specs: Windows 7 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz

Feel free to visit and edit the public FPSCR resource wiki page: http://fpscrresource.wikispaces.com/home
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 14:59
Wow, I thought I was old, too old to be on here ! You lot have made me feel great

PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Gefore 760gtx 3GB

Laptop - Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Core i7-3632QM processor, 8GB of RAM, 1Tb Hdd, Nvidia Geforce GT 740m
PM
james1943
Years of Service
User Offline
just so you know I had all those computers plus consoles I was leaning bbc basic and amiga basic I sure opened a can of worms. I had paint shop on the amiga I paid 4k for my first pc

gamemaker
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 16:39 Edited at: 29th Jul 2014 16:40
I think I might have beaten you all so far, my first computer was a ZX81 with 1k of ram. Ohh the excitement when they released a 16k memory pack. (Even if it did crash the machine if you accidentally walked past it!... or sneezed. or did pretty much anything now I think about it.).

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 17:27 Edited at: 29th Jul 2014 17:28
Sinclair could have carried on in the computer industry really if he hadn't spent so much time on the Sinclair C5

The ironic thing is they would probably sell well now if he had waited till 2014

PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
As this is getting a little off topic I've moved it to that board. Feel free to carry on the conversation there.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2014 03:01 Edited at: 5th Aug 2014 03:07
Gonna hit 48 soon myself, my first computer was a TI99/4a (I still have it in the cupboard in the garage!). I had played with the vic20, c64 and trs-80 by that time, and we also had Apple 2s at school. In earlier years I had played at school on a console-type machine with a dot-matrix printer. No monitor, but the text games were endless fun! At least, until they ended because your time was up and another student's turn was up. In fact, my first program/game was a text game based on "the Oregon Trail", only it took place in space. I started writing it in 6th grade and continued it into 7th. Never did finish it, not unlike every game I've made since! LOL. The TI was the only thing my mom could afford for me at the time, and that was only because it was reduced in price because TI decided to get out of the PC business. It was still fun and I found out many years later that what was under the hood in that machine was not even being fully utilized! Today there is a dedicated group of TI users that have made their own peripherals and can even surf the internet. I doubt they're watching video, but still impressive.

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
You can add me to the club at gone 62.

I would rather forget about the first computers I had and even the one I got now.....need a better one - again.

The great thing about indie game making and (FPSC) Reloaded in particular is perhaps that it appeals to such a wide variety and age range too of people, with varying skill sets, who can find it a relatively easy software, to follow sometimes almost a lifelong interest and or make a game if they want to.

Happy next birthday everyone!

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 16:54
I had a Vic-20 as well.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
i feel really left out as i'm 27 and have no idea what most of this stuff is
i agree the sinclair c5 would definitely sell in today's world though... obviously just way ahead of his time (like most of the computer inventors/geniuses to be fair)

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 07:18:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 07:18:17