Off Topic / Bath Salts - The Game

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2014 08:25
Hi everyone, I was working on a game in the past on FPSC Classic which held a very controversial title. I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on this? Do you find it offensive? Or an interesting take on the potrayal of the drug and its relation to zombie-like events.

Original WIP:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=200936&b=25

Original Website:

http://www.freetoronto.org/bathsaltssite/videos.html

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2014 11:27
i think this would be an awesome game to bring to life, it doesn't matter what you do there will always be someone out there who is "indifferent" to it. All games these days seem to have some group lobbying against it. but..

i for one, am all for this

PC Specs: Windows 7 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz

Feel free to visit and edit the public FPSCR resource wiki page: http://fpscrresource.wikispaces.com/home
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2014 23:44 Edited at: 4th Jul 2014 01:49
Sounds like a very interesting game!

There was an episode of Sliders (Sole Survivor) in which a newly engineered radical weight-loss drug turned nearly the entire population into zombies. The episode was a statement about people who are stupid enough to go for that sort of thing. So you're in good company!

If someone chooses to take offense at sobering observations (or anything for that matter), that's their choice and their responsibility. Really the only offense is getting offended and then wanting the object of "offense" to change to suit the offended. It's like manners and being polite. One of the rudest, most ill-mannered behavior is to insist that others be "polite" and get upset with them when they're "not".
PM
MadTopHat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2014 17:29 Edited at: 10th Jul 2014 17:29
Controversy =$$$

Go for it.
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2014 04:28
I browsed through that forum thread you linked to:

Quote: "I feel slightly offended by the title, people died in real life or were put in danger of death because of this drug."

And yet he is interested in first person shooters? I would dismiss him as a moron. Besides, you are NEVER going to please everyone, that's the kind of world we live in.

All that aside, great concept!

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 07:55
Its a concept I'd love to bring over to Reloaded. Just waiting for the indoor level support

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 15:30 Edited at: 4th Dec 2014 04:48
I've actually been contemplating to continue this project in FPSCx9. Reason being is, I think the Reloaded engine won't be touching on interior design for quite some time.

If you haven't already seen the original video test you can watch it here:

I've received a lot of feedback from the Indie Game communities online. So there are a lot of things to touch up on. It seems that jump-scares are more preferred so I started working on cleverly plotting some of those out. Rather than developing on hoards. Also working on crafting various puzzle elements to the game too.

So basically what I'm working on right now is the following:

- Jumpscares

- Puzzles - combination locks, lock picking, item hunting

- Shaders on segments

- Separate floor textures from roof textures

- make use of more melee weapons and less guns. Also less ammo.

- Designing unique HUDs

- Designing screens for Game Menu, Game Over, Win Screens, Credits

- Dialogue work

- Custom texture for walls, floors and etc

- Custom models for objects

The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2014 02:08
I was watching a video walk through of another game yesterday, and the guy was pretty much making fun of games for all their overuse of jump scares.

I don't think your game needs a gimmick like that. So many such games have no real story, it's just old buildings, zombies, and guns, with a little intro paragraph to excuse it all . They're all basically the same game done over and over and over again. Yours is different - it's got a strong story, I have the sense from it that you're building ambiance into the game and unfolding a narrative throughout its play (with a story such as you have). A possible jump scare or two might be likely to occur in such a story. But so many games I've seen overdo it by just throwing a bunch of cheap tricks out there. Your game seems to me to have real substance and wouldn't need or want overdone gimmicks like that messing it up.

Just my perspective. But you have your vision, and whatever you do, I'm sure you'll make it work
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2014 12:16 Edited at: 21st May 2015 08:01
Quote: "I was watching a video walk through of another game yesterday, and the guy was pretty much making fun of games for all their overuse of jump scares. I don't think your game needs a gimmick like that."

Thanks for the feedback Tall Man! I agree with you about jumpscares being over-done and hooky. I'm a bit limited working with FPSCx9 with what I can really do with the game. Was hoping Reloaded would be far along by now... but with honest interiors look quite horrid still and enemies can't function in them yet. So I think I'll be sticking to FPSCx9 for now. I'll just have to focus a lot of my time optimizing the levels.

I've revisited some aspects of the game based of a lot of feedback I've been getting. I'll be updating the progress here and on the old forums and also on facebook.

Like Bath Salts - The Game on Facebook

Currently I'm having a bit of troubles getting the applied normal and spec maps to work with the segments. Not sure what I'm doing wrong there but I hope to figure out soon.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2015 22:46 Edited at: 17th Jan 2015 22:49
I'm seeing quite a lot of games in development coming out that use the same assets I have been using for Bath Salts - The Game. Segments and entities. I may have to consider doing an overhaul on the assets. I don't mind making assets myself. Just been having a really hard time getting the shaders to work properly with Segments in x9. If anyone has experience in this let me know.

( I REALLY WISH IN DOOR LEVEL EDITING WAS POSSIBLE IN RELOADED )

Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2015 08:58
Quote: "( I REALLY WISH IN DOOR LEVEL EDITING WAS POSSIBLE IN RELOADED )"

It is, but its hell of a work...

AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
Recently Online
I hope the new Zombies are just as effective...... Those damn things could really make you jump in classic..
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2015 17:51
I agree! ^

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2015 09:45
Well, well well.... it looks like GameGuru supports zombies
Dark Java Dude 64
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2015 22:10
Quote: "it looks like GameGuru supports zombies"
I agree.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2015 00:21
I personally have a lot of issues with the current state of the AI with the zombies. I may consider working on a WIP of "Bath Salts" with Game Guru while in the meantime working on it in FPSC-Classic. The zombies in Classic work incredibly well. Only flaws they seem to have is that they tend to get stuck in walls and don't know how to avoid objects.
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2015 12:14
i think i heard much more offensive titles before. i don't wanna name it here
the game looks kinda nice! i'm impressed what was possible with the old FPSC. i thought the old FPSC was looking crappy but it really looks nice what you did with it! the zombies look a little strange but the rest is great
http://www.nuncio-rap.de
intel core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz; 8GB RAM // NVIDIA GeForce GTX560Ti
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2015 23:22 Edited at: 28th May 2015 23:23
Interesting enough the old FPSC also allows for shaders on the walls and floors so it has the ability to look even better than what I have in that video. Pretty much everything in that video is from the TGC model packs too. The zombie at the very end of the video is no different than one in GG you can get. In fact the female zombie, male zombie, older male zombie, slow walking zombie and fat zombie are all from FPSC-Classic.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2015 22:21 Edited at: 5th Jul 2015 01:21
Project put on hold since the zombies in GG are broken and have not been fixed in the past couple versions. I have made bug reports but they still do not work.

The zombies that I used in FPSC I have converted over to GG and modified the zombie scripts for them and they work fine. However the zombies in GG just do not work properly at all. I have no idea when the devs intent to actually fix them. Think they are focusing on multiplayer and character creator from now on. This is preventing me from continuing my project here.

I may continue the work I have done, using FPSC Classic. As I cannot advance further using GameGuru.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 15:17:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 15:17:20