Free Models and Media / City 'carpet' model

Author
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2014 22:54 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2014 23:03
This is a very quick model I whipped up in Milkshape (as a placeholder really). Its essentially a 'carpet' of buildings that you can place down and repeat to give the impression of a distant city. Replace it with any texture you like (for the screenshot I've used the combatbuilding_d.dds texture simply out of laziness but you can use any you like really.

The point is that the buildings should be distant so it shouldn't matter that all the textures are the same.

Anyway, unzip and place in your entitybank\Buildings folder (or anywhere you like, just change the path to your desired texture in the fpe).
jtownsend1190
Years of Service
User Offline
what exactly is it, is it a plane with a perspective image as the texture with transparent fade out at top? Or is it actual models? Sorry have not downloaded and looked just because there is a bunch going on right now with my own modeling. But thought it was an interesting idea and figured I would ask.
PM
geistschatten
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: GameGuru
Posted: 24th Jun 2014 11:37
@TGPEG Thank you for this! It's going to come in handy with big FPSCR city scenes like the Dark City models from Cosmic.

@jtownsend1190 It's essentially a large single model with a bunch of boxes that act like distant buildings when textured.

I've a

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TGPEG
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2014 12:15 Edited at: 24th Jun 2014 12:34
geistschatten: you're welcome.

To expand a little further, this is a 2220-poly mesh of a 'carpet' of generic buildings that can be used as a background. It works particularly well when it's used as a sort of urban sprawl covering a valley floor, which is how I'm going to be using it.

You'll see from the aerial shot that the player in my game will descend down the hill and over the river into a small gameplay area with the background, low-poly models giving the impression of a much larger city (I still need to get the textures right).

You can dot around (as I have) industrial towers or churches, skyscrapers or other buildings to add flavour - again it doesn't matter if they intersect the existing building mesh unless you're going for absolute precision. Also you won't be able to see the ground unless you're flying directly overhead, so it isn't obvious that they're just boxes places on the ground.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 23:30:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 23:30:37