Bug Reports / Runtime Error 1511 - Display cannot be created due to invalid function parameters at line 0

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2014 18:53 Edited at: 19th Jun 2014 03:06
I do not have FPSC-Reloaded. I just downloaded rekjl's standalone of his game Dark Crater, found here:

http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208992&b=26

When I went to run it, that error message is all that happened.

I'm running a Dell w/ Windows XP-Pro 32-bit, 3Ghz dual-core Pentium 4 (32-bit) with 2GB RAM, and an integrated Intel 82865G graphics controller w/ 96MB RAM (allocated from system memory using DVMT).

DirectX Version: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

In the settings.ini file, I tried changing the width and height under GAMERUN to 1024x768, which I typically do to get FPSC games to run. They had both been set to -1 initially. I got the same error message.

P.S. The producelogfiles in the Setup.ini file is set to 1, and no log file is produced. I also tried deleting all the .ini files from the same directory as the executable. Same result. I then tried also deleting the Files directory, leaving nothing but the executable. Still the same result. So whatever's going on, it's apparently happening before ANYTHING is read.
PM
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2014 03:01 Edited at: 19th Jun 2014 03:02
Got the same results with unfamillia's standalone (The Asylum):

http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=209037&b=26
PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

This is quite likely an issue with your integrated card. Do you really mean 96mb of Ram?

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2014 19:23 Edited at: 24th Jun 2014 07:49
Hi, thanks for responding.

Yes, it's as I said. 96MB of R.A.M. which is allocated (from system memory) as video memory for the video card to use. The Intel link I provided in my top post explains this. In the Windows Display Settings, it simply says under (video) Adapter the that the memory size is 96MB. The amount is set in the motherboard's BIOS. I believe 96MB was the highest option available (with 8MB being the lowest).

My video adapter works fine for DarkGDK and the original FPSC games (although my card doesn't support shaders, according to FPSC and DarkGDK - although Device Caps (shown in my next post) seems to indicate otherwise). I played the Half-Life 2 demo on this computer (when it was set to 8MB) - once I got past the Valve bug that was preventing the game from running at all on most people's computers, the gameplay was excellent, good quality and framerate.

Obviously the runtime error message that comes up is incorrect, because if there really were incorrect function parameters at line 0 where it sets the display mode, then it wouldn't start on anyone's computer at all, and yet it is. But bug-free software doesn't have run-time errors anyway. It would do the required compatibility checks and use whatever features are available and disable the rest (like the original FPSC does with shaders) - that is assuming that's what the issue is.
PM
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2014 07:42 Edited at: 24th Jun 2014 08:15
Here, I thought this might make it easier, as there should be no card that can break the software in the manner it is breaking. In a DarkGDK project, I got the DirectX Device Caps, using the following code, and captured a screenshot of the results, expanded in a Watch window. I've included a decimal version and a hexadecimal version. I've also included a binary file of the captured D3DCAPS9 structure.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2014 09:51 Edited at: 27th Jun 2014 09:51
We really don't recommend intergrated cards for Reloaded and shader support is vital. We actually suggest that a user should have at least a 1gb GPU, although I know of some users who are using 512mb cards, who are able to run the software.

I seriously doubt you'll be able to run any of the built games, but if another user has had success with this, I'd like to hear.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2014 20:18 Edited at: 27th Jun 2014 20:27
Well I can understand making recommendations for ideal conditions. But as a software engineer, there's no reason for such a runtime error to remain, or for it to not run at all. Again, no resource files were even looked at by the .exe before the crash. It's a major bug in the software, plain and simple - probably easily correctable. But what you choose to do with/about that is, of course, up to you all.

You're probably thinking that it likely doesn't affect most people, and that may be true... although from research I've done, the integrated card I have was widely distributed in Dell systems. But of course, most have bought a newer system since then.

However, in my experience as a software engineer, often correcting one bug, even a seemingly insignificant one in the grand scheme of things, often does expose a major bug, or bug template just waiting to "go off" and wreak real problems, sometimes on the level of the underlying structure of the whole program. FPSC-Classic was full of bugs. I'd hate to see this one go the same way.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
i have an ati mobility radeon x1600 on my laptop (basically about 256mb) and i can run reloaded .exes on that - it does get very low fps though
but saying a 1gb GPU is "expected" is way too high for a directx9 based software, i can agree reloaded requires a lot of GPU power when editing but not so much when actually playing (certainly on lowest settings)

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 16:13:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 16:13:22