Scripts / How to script?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 20:59
How can you find information on how to script LUA in FPSCr? There seems to be lots of built-in variables and strict guidelines to follow when scripting FPSCr. What do all these built-in variables mean? How much can we control via script, and what is hard coded in the engine? Perhaps TGC will come out with good documentation on this, cuz I dislike guessing! But in the meantime maybe some of you have any tips?

www.memblockgames.com
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 21:14 Edited at: 11th Jun 2014 21:15
There is a short document that comes with FPSCR in the docs folder that gives you the very basics of Lua scripting and how it works in FPSCR. It is not up to date with the latest information, but it does also include links to the Lua web documentation where you can learn about the language more.

Second, you can take a look at the many scripts being created by the community to see how they've made things work as well as the scripts provided in the scriptbank folder of FPSCR.

Third, look in the global.lua file for all the scripting commands available.

There are still a lot of functionality missing from scripting and there are various workarounds and known issues. So, you should definitely look through the forums here and see what is known and how to deal with various issues. A lot of us would be happy to help you further once you've taken those steps and need more assistance.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.007
mnemonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 21:21
Thanks for telling me about global.lua. That makes my 'guessing' a lot easier!

www.memblockgames.com
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 21:23 Edited at: 11th Jun 2014 21:24
I really think there should be an updated LUA documentation each update. I mean for people like me this is really hard to get a grasp on this. When you search LUA outside of FPSCR the only things that make sense are the IF and ELSE statements. Please have an official resource on this so we can make this grow into something anyone willing to can learn with minimal obstacles. The only thing keeping me going are the already made scripts by members and whatever I learned in my C++ class.
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 21:29 Edited at: 11th Jun 2014 21:30
@BarZaTTacKS, I think no matter what that people who aren't programmers are going to struggle with this. Just because it's called scripting doesn't make it any less than any other programming challenge and having a full grasp on the concepts of programmin

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-08 03:52:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-08 03:52:55