Free Models and Media / Red Sandstone Boulder Set of 3

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 16:11
I have decided to give these items away for FREE as the Reloaded Store

Gods have REJECTED them to many times I can not be botherd to redo them

again as I have better things to do with my time.

Judge them for your selves... there FREE,

so if you don't like them don't use them.
PM
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 16:29
they look good to me mate.did they give you a reason for the rejection ?

if you uploaded them as you have here the only thing i can think of is that you have more than 1 model in the download.

also on a side note did you make these yourself or are they made from a rock generating program ?

cheers henry

Super Clark
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 16:46 Edited at: 25th Apr 2014 16:48
Poor Quality Textures was the reason... Looks like I have to go back to School

They were made with

rock generating program with tweeks of my own...
PM
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2014 00:23
Poor textures? It looks better than half of the stock entities IMO! Then again, we all know what opinions are like. . . . . .

I really hater to be "that guy" but I really am that guy. Keep it coming and post a paypal addy for me. Ill give you something that FPSC-R cant take part of.

Case: Antec 900, Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990FX, CPU: AMD T1100 Thuban 6 core @3300 ghz stock settings, COOLER: Thermaltake Frio, MEM: G Skill Ripjaws X series DDR 3 @ 1866 9-10-9-28, HDD: 2 Western Digital caviar Black 750 Gb set in RAID 0, GPU: Saphire HD 6950 flashed with 6970 bios, PSU: Corsair CX750M, MS: Cyborg Rat 7, KB: Logitec G510, OS: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit.
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2014 18:00 Edited at: 26th Apr 2014 20:34
I wouldn't let it get me down or let it put you off either, keep at it.

Although I only checked out the one model, if I were to offer any criticism to these it would be the normal and spec maps which seem a bit 'shiny' make the spec darker to help with this. The texture itself is not of a lesser quality than those in Reloaded stock, so I don't know why they gave that as a reason. If anything there are a few seams, which would probably be hidden with a decent normal map, but not that bad.

If it makes you feel any better pull out any of the rocks in the stock media and take a close look at these. Note the really obvious seams and horrible texture stretching seen in areas that would need to be sunk into the terrain to hide them, some can't be hidden. I guarantee if these were to be passed to 'quality control' by you or I, they would fail miserably.

I have yet to hear anyone else point these things out, least of all quality control themselves. For the simple reason it's a minor prop and most wouldn't notice or even care if they did.

I mean no offense to the TGC Artists here and sometimes things get missed, but others are going to use your own media as example and if your going to reject their work you better keep up the standards yourselves, or your going to put people off submitting their media to the store when nitpicking about their work and not your own.

It's a rock for Pete's sake, not the Taj Mahal.

Just my two cents
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 27th Apr 2014 09:39
Quote: "I wouldn't let it get me down or let it put you off either, keep at it.

Although I only checked out the one model, if I were to offer any criticism to these it would be the normal and spec maps which seem a bit 'shiny' make the spec darker to help with this. The texture itself is not of a lesser quality than those in Reloaded stock, so I don't know why they gave that as a reason. If anything there are a few seams, which would probably be hidden with a decent normal map, but not that bad.

If it makes you feel any better pull out any of the rocks in the stock media and take a close look at these. Note the really obvious seams and horrible texture stretching seen in areas that would need to be sunk into the terrain to hide them, some can't be hidden. I guarantee if these were to be passed to 'quality control' by you or I, they would fail miserably.

I have yet to hear anyone else point these things out, least of all quality control themselves. For the simple reason it's a minor prop and most wouldn't notice or even care if they did.

I mean no offense to the TGC Artists here and sometimes things get missed, but others are going to use your own media as example and if your going to reject their work you better keep up the standards yourselves, or your going to put people off submitting their media to the store when nitpicking about their work and not your own.

It's a rock for Pete's sake, not the Taj Mahal.

Just my two cents"

lol rolfy, I have also had a model rejection, just because the bottom seams, some thing your not suppose to see isn't aligned, just in case the user wants to flip it on its side.

Texture was limited, so best tried to get the seams to match, but just couldn't.However just redid the model and bobs your uncle, still waiting for approval thought.

However I should point out that they are a lot harsher,(some times things do slip by into the store) on models for reloaded, pending which person is approving the models.I should point out always be polite, when you get feedback, always reply in kind, if you do get rejected try again.

If you do get rejected, try again, eventually you will get it right.
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2014 15:38
i to have had models rejected ,all of them were simple little issues that i had missed but were easy to fix.had they let them through im sure some end users would have picked them up & this could have effected my future sales,so in the long run its to my advantage.

as your fairly new to modeling don't let a few rejections hold you back, keep at it & im sure you will only get better.then you will look back & see the rejections as a + point.

cheers henry

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2014 15:46 Edited at: 27th Apr 2014 16:04
Quote: "Texture was limited, so best tried to get the seams to match, but just couldn't.However just redid the model and bobs your uncle, still waiting for approval thought.

However I should point out that they are a lot harsher,(some times things do slip by into the store) on models for reloaded, pending which person is approving the models.I should point out always be polite, when you get feedback, always reply in kind, if you do get rejected try again."
Technical errors I can understand and as I point out the stock media is full of these.

If it isn't right then you should fix it, you may think that part wont ever be seen so no point in struggling with it, if it's a building that simply won't ever be flipped then you may be right, but it's their call and sometimes you will just have to bite the bullet and fix it.

What concerns me here is I feel this may have been an aesthetic decision, I hear it all the time "I don't like that", not because it wasn't up to quality standards but because it didn't appeal to them. I don't want to see Artists lose their own right to design their work as they envision it and we all become slaves to someone else's idea of how it should look. You will find that an Artists work is sought after because they have a certain style.

I have worked as an Artist all my adult life in the Fine Arts and the thing that most annoys me is someone saying "I would do this" or "change that"...well....it's my design and not yours so why don't ya go do it yourself...mostly it's those who couldn't draw their butt across the ground that are your harshest critics. Everyone has an opinion and want's to 'guide' you.

We all miss things and I believe on the whole it's a good thing to have other eyes on it to point out errors, however I don't want it to become someone else's vision for all media that goes into the store, if it's to be like that we are simply a factory line producing what we are told to.

If I am told it's an error I will fix it, but if I feel it's because they would have "done it differently" I may argue that maybe the 'inspector' is missing the point and as you say that could be misconstrued as simply being impolite and argumentative, again this sounds to me like a factory line.

There is a lot of stuff in stock I would have done differently but I am not going to say "that doesn't look like 'the real thing'", It may be that they gave him more info than a simple 'poor quality' I don't know.

What I point out above is the inconsistency in being told your 'rock' isn't up to standard, when the only examples of these for people putting stuff to the store isn't meeting their own requirements. To be straight this guy's rocks are technically better than the ones they themselves have done, if it was a pixelated low res texture I could understand it being called "poor quality". So the only thing left is, they simply don't 'like it' and that isn't on.

If I am correct here (I am eager to hear the inspectors side of it) then I am done, I am not a battery hen

Just to conclude, I would have rejected those if it were me but I would have pointed out why, and told the guy to simply fix the spec map...he could have told me..."it's a beach rock it's meant to be wet and shiny"...in which case I would likely think he was just being argumentative and sacked him on the spot, or cooked him for dinner....whatever

We cant have rebels in our midst though I have yet to meet an Artist who wasn't one...except maybe Graphic Artists.
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 27th Apr 2014 16:17
Lol rolf, have a mouthful to say about that, yes I agree, that items getting rejected just because they don't like it, is a bit on the frustration side as well.

It's a fine line, and they have to be careful not to cross it.I have a specific style, My segments didn't comply with their standards and their styling, which is why there never was an official pack from my side.There loss not mine, as I got tired of block room segment after block room segment and took things in my own hands, did pretty well on my own, paid for my Reloaded gold.

However that said, you have to remember it's their platform so they pretty much have final say what gets into the store or not, double standard like you said is not on, just remember they are human too.

However my experience with the store has been nothing but pleasant irrespective of some thing getting rejected, I actually just looked past the rejection and tried again.

I expect more rejection in the future, I am human too.

As they say art is subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, all I can say, then is if it looks like a pier, the texture is good, then their should be no reason why it shouldn't be approved, the just because I don't like it, like you said isn't on then.
Super Clark
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2014 19:44 Edited at: 27th Apr 2014 19:44
Thanks for all the input guys, I have not given up on making stuff

for the store. I have decided to simply take it on the chin as

constructive criticism and move forward.

I am now learning Blender as i have been use to AC3D and so I starting

over. So may be a few weeks to get some stuff together again, but I will

not give up, as I aim to get as good as rolfy&

Jays (unfamillia), henry ham, to name a few. You guys rock so just

want to thank you for all your comments and I will do better from now..

Tony (AKA) SuperClark
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2014 21:23 Edited at: 27th Apr 2014 21:30
Quote: "I have decided to simply take it on the chin as

constructive criticism and move forward."
That's the spirit right there, must be reassuring to know your not alone in being rejected, we all make mistakes. The biggest mistake is letting it put you off
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2014 23:57
Quote: "The biggest mistake is letting it put you off"

You are so right there rolfy ,keep at it super clark.Look at other peoples early work,some of it is quite funny .

Dave

AMD Phenom(tm)IIx6 1090t Processor 3.20 GHS

8.00 GB memory Windows 7 64 bit

Nvida Geforce GTX 580
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2014 13:35
Good man for taking it on board and moving on.

Henry is (in my opinion) absolutely correct when he says that the rejection should come as a positive for the artist. Obviously not at first, but, after you get over the initial shock of someone telling you that something you made 'isn't good enough', then the positivity can shine through.

• It shows that media that will be in the store will be of the highest quality with minimal errors.

• It will eliminate (or reduce) the number of problems that the end user will experience; meaning less work for you in the long run.

• It helps point out certain things that you might have missed throughout the process (helping you grow as an artist)

• It makes you more determined to make it better next time.

These are all just points from my experience.

You are in the middle of one of the kindest and most giving communities out there! The artists in these forums will always be happy to help anyone in need of guidance or to look at helping with a model. As long as you are polite; politeness will get you everywhere!

Cheers

Jay.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
It's a pretty awkward task, telling people their work isn't up to snuff and I am sure they will have the crap end of the stick sometimes with this.

It can't be easy doing it but I am sure they can handle it, all the same it is a good thing and something I wanted from the start was that quality in the store would be kept tight, I think it may be best for all, but they need to be careful and not get too strict or let personal taste cloud judgement, it's users who will want and buy this stuff and they have a broader range of needs and requirements.
tommy8
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 06:12
thanks, these will be perfect for my Martian landscapes
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 14:42:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 14:42:34