Virtual Reality / Facebook purchased Oculus VR

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2014 22:54
In a Facebook post, Mark Zuckerberg announced this:

Quote: "I'm excited to announce that we've agreed to acquire Oculus VR, the leader in virtual reality technology.

Our mission is to make the world more open and connected. For the past few years, this has mostly meant building mobile apps that help you share with the people you care about. We have a lot more to do on mobile, but at this point we feel we're in a position where we can start focusing on what platforms will come next to enable even more useful, entertaining and personal experiences.

This is where Oculus comes in. They build virtual reality technology, like the Oculus Rift headset. When you put it on, you enter a completely immersive computer-generated environment, like a game or a movie scene or a place far away. The incredible thing about the technology is that you feel like you're actually present in another place with other people. People who try it say it's different from anything they've ever experienced in their lives.

Oculus's mission is to enable you to experience the impossible. Their technology opens up the possibility of completely new kinds of experiences.

Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this.

But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home.

This is really a new communication platform. By feeling truly present, you can share unbounded spaces and experiences with the people in your life. Imagine sharing not just moments with your friends online, but entire experiences and adventures.

These are just some of the potential uses. By working with developers and partners across the industry, together we can build many more. One day, we believe this kind of immersive, augmented reality will become a part of daily life for billions of people.

Virtual reality was once the dream of science fiction. But the internet was also once a dream, and so were computers and smartphones. The future is coming and we have a chance to build it together. I can't wait to start working with the whole team at Oculus to bring this future to the world, and to unlock new worlds for all of us."

So, are we going to have Facebook connect within our 3D games?

Source: https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10101319050523971

J0linar
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2014 23:42
looks like evrything has a price, am not sure what to think now,

i mean from my pov..

John Carmack sold id Software back in the day to Bethesda/ Zenimax

and after he joined the Staff @ Occulus,

the Occulus Company gets sold to Facebook.

Independence is dead...

http://j0linar.blogspot.co.at/

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7-3630QM 4.8GHz CPU, Nvidia GTX 675M - 2048MB GPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2014 00:25
My thought are they sold it due to Sony reveling theirs and Microsoft jumping on the train and also doing vr. I do believe it will be good for Occulus as it will now get alot of money thrown at it i suppose only time will tell.

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU, 32GB DDR3 MEM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2014 11:43
No Minecraft on the Rift. Notch has cancelled his deal with Oculus VR after they were acquired by Facebook i can see a few people following.

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU, 32GB DDR3 MEM
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2014 21:14 Edited at: 26th Mar 2014 21:15
Hello, this is my first post here but since I'm waiting for Reloaded I feel obliged to ask this.

Oculus now belongs to Facebook and because of this ( and because of plenty of other reasons ) I don't want to see my games related in any way or form related to them. Will the VR support will be left as an option or hard-coded within the engine without the possibility to deactivate it ?

Thank you.

"I like to keep this handy, for close encounters."
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2014 01:33
VR support pretty much HAS to be optional, due to the way the display is handled. Not many customers are going to have ORs or any other device that comes along for some time, so it would be pointless anyway to make it necessary.
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2014 01:45
As far as Facebook buying Oculus, there are positives and negatives. On the plus side you have a large company with the means to promote the product and invest heavily in it's development. On the negative side, you have a large company with the means to not promote the product and to limit it's development. I don't know how open Facebook is about their intellectual property, but I realize a lot of people do develop things independently for them. I do fear that Oculus, which is now open, will become closed. Pity if that happens! I love my Rift and was considering the Dev Kit 2, but this happened almost as soon as I found out about it. Guess I'll have to put up with the screen door a little longer. Oh well, it's still amazing! Just backed the PrioVR on Lee's recommendation also...
PM
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2014 16:47
Of course you also have the tid-bit of Occulus being funded via Kickstarter, and then sold for a few billion later on. That is what's leaving a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths, over this.
PM
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2014 01:20 Edited at: 28th Mar 2014 01:20
KeithC wrote: "Of course you also have the tid-bit of Occulus being funded via Kickstarter, and then sold for a few billion later on. That is what's leaving a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths, over this."

^This is the reason why I do not support Oculus anymore.

"I like to keep this handy, for close encounters."
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2014 04:09
Then there's that.
PM
Smeg
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2014 13:31
I personally can't wait for the ads to pop up everywhere or Candy Crush Saga being thrust into my face at every opportunity. Another big bucks company taking over everyone's lives.... and data.. No I don't use BookFace, tried it, bored to death with everyone's little hang ups
PM
Dosedmonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2014 09:23 Edited at: 30th Mar 2014 09:23
As an Indie game maker I do not want my game linked in any way to a business like Facebook or any social network site directly in fact!
PM
raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2014 04:45
I'm holding onto my pre-order for the dev kit 2, but if I catch a whiff that Carmack is backing out I will too. I know he's a big supporter of VR and always envisioned Doom in VR, so if he stays, I stay. If he bails, I bail.
xXJalecoXx
Years of Service
User Offline
[href]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Q4Vf-HwEU [/href]

I'm sry but I do feel the same way and have to get this off my chest! >_<

It's absolute rubbish that you can't have a simplified educated process that leads everyone into a single direction to explore on the same level.

Oculus Rift reminded me of a free Linux "open sourced" app development tool, which could have been compatible with all devices. You could mod with it you could script and change things to your own personal liking ect... Sony's Project Morpheus vr head set is like carbon copied limited and restricted idea of the Oculus Rift. Game developing wise...

Now that I heard FB owns Oculus Rift I guess you can't have capital without the greater of 2 evils competing bloody corrupted markets and what not that keep humans from evolving!

If the DK-2 carries any bloat ware in it. Then I well just have to support Sony because they care more about customer interaction then capital investments, money and as of PS4 maybe having a lil fun and evolving successfully like JAPAN has all these years!

Acer Laptop OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 CPU: Intel i7-2670QM @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.2GHz RAM: 4 GB RAM

GPU: 1366 x 768 (32bit) (60Hz)/NVIDIA GeForce GT 630m
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2014 01:28 Edited at: 6th Apr 2014 01:29
I have never used Facebook and never will. I read an article once that said that some employers actually check to see if you have a Facebook account before hiring, with the presumption that if you do not, you must be anti-social. What a crock! Some of us are actually social (almost) exclusively in reality. I don't need people who I will never meet in person to be my "friend". It so cheapens the meaning of the word! Those people don't understand what Facebook actually is, nor do the folks who blindly use it. If having a Facebook account becomes necessary to use my Rift, then I will jump on Microsoft's device bandwagon unless they follow suit. Sony has already failed me with the PS3 so I am not tempted by PS4; my next console purchase will be the new Xbox, I'm just not in any hurry to do so, if I ever do. I am willing, however, to wait and see what FB does with the OR. It's worth it for now.
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2014 01:18 Edited at: 7th Apr 2014 01:31
Quote: "I read an article once that said that some employers actually check to see if you have a Facebook account before hiring, with the presumption that if you do not, you must be anti-social."
It went even further than that, some asked for your password so they could see exactly what you were about, invasion of privacy at its worst. If you didn't have an account they would bin you right there, reckon that was soon put a stop to though. If you look into directors of Facebook it will make your skin crawl to know where they worked before they moved in there.

Government and Law Enforcement agency's have spoken openly in congress on how valuable a resource of information on the populace Facebook has become, these are not conspiracy theories as they themselves stated it
s4real
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
I think this is all a waste of time adding this to reloaded as Glyph will be the future.

Glyph uses virtual Retina display so you are in the world as the image on ya Retina itself.

But at the end of the day we all been here before with virtual glasses or whatever you want to call them its like 3d it comes and goes.

They all to expensive to make and this will never change for some time soon.

But Glyph is looking closer to the dream then rift.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.

Help keep vishnu free by Donating now :- http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208057&b=21
Dosedmonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
My employer goes beyond checking facebooks before employing. The managing directors actively check staffs facebooks, and if there is any photos from work which they don't think is appropraite (but completely legal and harmless normally) they will pull you up for a major bollocking. They'd sack you if it wasn't illegal I'm sure. Hell look at Turkey, its blocking all social media, probably less harmful then the BBC would lead you to believe.

As for law enforcement liking facebook, the information requests to social networking is in the hundreds of millions. But I do remember that London riot policemen who murdered/manslaughtered the guy who was walking home from work, by shoving him and the guy hitting his head. Because he stupidly wrote some bad stuff about how he was going to beat some hippies the night before.
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
so I just half read an article on steam about oculus rift being sued by zenimax. here is the full article I didn't read fully.. not got a rift device myself, but this caught my eye kind of.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/21/zenimax-sues-oculus-rift/

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
John Carmack tweeted about this, they are using ZERO code from the times when John was under contract with Zenimax. Their lawsuit is apparently just wasting time and getting them publicity.
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
well if thats true then all the better

if not well we will see i guess?.

never used or heard of it before coming here to reloaded forums last year..

and dont plan on getting 1 if fb is owners tbh lol, would rather have the sony 1 instead just on the fact i dont like fb myself. but i thoughti would post it up here as its semi relevant.

PM
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea I owned the development kit 1 and ordered the 2. I hate facebook too, I look at it like this though.. I do not hate facebooks bank account, this is what oculus now has access to.
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
true enough

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:31:02
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:31:02