Off Topic / unity 5 looking awesome

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2014 21:39
http://www.cgmeetup.net/home/unity-5-features-preview/

Have you seen this? Great jump in everything since version 4. 64 bit editor...wish fpsc could look like that. But when i see those indoor scenes, I'm affraid we cant achieve that with construction kit:/ it is not bad tool but something like Udk geometry builder will be definately much better.
PM
xCept
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
It is stunning!

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, AMD Phenom X6 1100T 3.60 GHz CPU, NVIDIA Geforce GTX-680 2GB GPU, G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 23:22 Edited at: 30th Apr 2014 23:23
Unity has made a lot of headway in recent years. It is clearly a very good product if you have the money to spend on the pro version and the supporting additional software products.

Spend enough on the software and get a good team of users developing with it for enough time and the results are clearly or potentially likely to be very good.

Its a top of the range product in its class and really not expensive in that class. Its a diverse, complex, advanced and classy piece of kit.

Reloaded is not in the same class and does not need to be in any case. Rather than try and compete with the few engines like Unity around (none really)....

Reloaded is probably best suited for a different group range of users. If it can provide to them the tools they can take to within reason easily make a good game with then no reason why Reloaded cannot be as successful as Unity in its own class and with as many supporters as Unity in its own user group range.

Reloaded has a long way to go to get there yet but hopefully it can expand its user base sufficiently to help continue its development onwards for some time as a successful game maker.

Who knows then what the future might hold.

It has made some progress recently and the rest of this year should see some serious forward improvements and benefit unless something derails the plans.

tommy8
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2014 20:38
Unity would be my development software of choice (even the free version) if I knew how to program.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2014 17:50
As with anything in life, you pretty much get what you pay for Unity Pro is fine for those with oodles of cash and a good art/sound/code pipeline in place, but it's not really competing directly with FPS Creator Reloaded. For example, we could create an FPS game in less than 5 minutes after installation of Reloaded, try that in Unity Pro 5 and see where you are in five minutes It's not fair to Unity 5 to compare against Reloaded, and we should not beat them up over it. As we used to say in Wigan, horses for courses

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2014 18:01
Quote: " It's not fair to Unity 5 to compare against Reloaded"

lol nice one had me going

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 (PASSMARK 9529) 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU (PASSMARK 6858) 32GB DDR3 MEM (PASSMARK 2842)
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm surprised TGC didn't elect to build FPSC-R using either UDK or Unity; both have very flexible licencing options, and both are very stable, fast, and have great feature sets. And none of them cost anything to use, unless you want to go the commercial route (which, if you have a worthy game shouldn't be too expensive). At this point you'd probably already have a completed product.

Quote: "For example, we could create an FPS game in less than 5 minutes after installation of Reloaded, try that in Unity Pro 5 and see where you are in five minutes"

Well you can download assets that add FPS-specific functionality (this one for example) and after that you can do a lot in just 5 minutes if you have the media (again, easily obtainable from the store, and a lot of it is free and high quality, look at this for an example of some of the free, high quality stuff you can get).
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
How about Cryengine 3? I've had a go with that. It's a bit more difficult than reloaded but I got some nice results within an hour or two of messing about.

Julian
PM
mfgcasa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 10:23 Edited at: 14th Aug 2014 10:23
lordjulian and seditious they can't use an engine to make an engine because to something like that would cost millions.(these guys make their engine for a living, there hardly going to go hand over the code to another engine, to improve on, now are they?) That would be like Coca Cola telling everyone their recipe for coke(bare in mind only the top 3 executives know the whole picture)

just to put it in the picture, FPS reloaded costs about £100,000 to make currently, and while it really needs more optimization. When it gets all of its features it will be the best engine to use for anyone

RAM 8 GB

i7-4770k CPU 3.50 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 18:39
Quote: "That would be like Coca Cola telling everyone their recipe for coke(bare in mind only the top 3 executives know the whole picture)"

I think that this is an urban myth. Couldn't you just analyze a can of coke and have the ingredients?

Quote: "I got some nice results within an hour or two of messing about."

By results do you mean a nice map or a nice game?

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 8th Sep 2014 18:04
Unity 5 is definitely nice looking, but I'm starting to think UE4 is the way to go now. You can get it for just $19, including full C++ source code and demo projects/assets. If you continue to pay $19/month you can get new releases as well, but you don't have to. You can get it for $19 and cancel the monthly fee and then re-instate it whenever you need a new version at $19 a pop. And you can use the version you get for $19 for anything you want. Yes, you have to pay 5% royalties to Epic, but if you think that's a bad deal then you don't know anything about publishing. That's a steal.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0085

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 21:04:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 21:04:01