Feature Creep / What is the current height of the player camera?

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2014 15:38
So after modeling some stuff at a one to one scale, Buildings, railings, stairs, roads, sidewalks, I am noticing that the player camera height appears to be a very tall person, 7 feet high or better at eye level.

My question is what is the player camera height set to in the engine right now.

Also if this is going to be the permanent height? If there are going to be plans on lowering it to a more standard height of 5'8" to 6'.

I will post some pictures in a little bit as a visual of what I am talking about.

Thanks.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Been noticing it myself Myke, it really does need to be lowered.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2014 04:03
Yes you get to a place where there is a door or window and you stop under the frame and you (player Camera) slowly sink to the floor level. Once you settle it is not so noticeable until you start moving again.

But for the sake of knowing for making models in the future the actual height would be nice to know, also if the plan is to keep it where it is.

Some where just over the middle of crouch and standing would be a better height in my opinion. Adjusting the FOV makes it appear better in perspective, until you get really close to the object.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2014 10:02 Edited at: 9th Mar 2014 10:17
Reloaded characters are just short of 6'4", which would be above average and you get close you look down on them. I tend to work in real world scales from this. Feet and inches is scale and I reckon its definitely the camera height thats off, in Classic all characters were scaled to 80% in the .fpe for some reason, and again you looked down on them, which would throw model makers off if they imported to compare. I never scaled down any characters I made and they looked all the better for it.

I would simply work to real world scales and if we do this then at least we can ensure even scale across the board for media makers, I can see how it might not be noticed as yet, due to Reloaded being mostly outdoor, it becomes obvious when you start to create smaller room sized entity's.

I don't see why it would stay as is, as it's an easy fix and if not then all media already created would need to be scaled up and leave artists with a math problem working out a percentage scale which wont make sense. Better to have it as a user setting so player character can be taller or shorter to suit anyhow.

It's definitely the camera height probably made worse by the FOV settings
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2014 10:16
Yes defiantly become more noticeable in a closed room or by a railing for a walkway. Never did like the scaling done of characters in classic. Like you said, I just scaled them to the perceived height needed and they look more of a formidable opponent when you get close to them. Not looking down at them.

But for the sake of making stuff, I believe strongly that a real scale should be made. Could never see the thinking of a 10 foot tissue box or a 10cm tall character. I have seen many sizes come in from lots of models converting them for classic FPSC and the problems that having to rescale something can cause.

Thanks for your reply and the sizes you have noticed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 20:42:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 20:42:10