Work In Progress / Let's see what this baby can do!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2014 14:53 Edited at: 7th Mar 2014 14:58
Here are some some objects I've been experimenting with. The first is my castle fortress - please forgive my lack of mapping for the moment - that task is farther on down the road. I wanted to see how many vertices FPSCR can handle at the moment. My castle fortress is 46,868 vertices. And yes, I'm crawling around mighty slow in the game - sometimes as low as 6-9 fps.

Here is the backside for the market entrance - 4 winding ramps going to the upper levels.

Here is my sun dial that only casts a shadow on the ground - bring a wristwatch!

Means of transportation - sorry, no spare tire!

I will donate this model one day to the community complete with a driver and animations on the condition that y'all convince Lee that we need a HUD entity that can fly - I promise I will make it loop-de-loop if he agrees!

All you need is love....so let me have your burger.
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats really cool, I cannot wait for the performance enhancements.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2014 21:14 Edited at: 24th Mar 2014 21:18
46,868 vertices? That is way too many polys for that object. Perhaps there is way more detail up close, but from the screen shots you could get a lot of that detail in with a texture. Still, if it is a huge fortress, probably best to build it from parts rather than one huge object. Just my thoughts. Otherwise nice work.

Edit - Of course this may be just a test to see how much you can get away with, but really no game would make an entire fortress area one object!

pianodavy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2014 00:06
I'm definitely testing the limits of FPSCR. Most of the vertices are coming from 18 separate and very high winding staircases as well as 6 winding ramps. Yes, I could have made the walls and floors as 2 dimensional planes, but then I would not be pushing the limits of the software. Furthermore, it is important to understand that "x" models will not render correctly if there are any holes, which means that architecture with doors and windows or any other orifice need to be designed either in in separate pieces and brought in as a scene collective OR the polys would have to be looped and joining faces made invisible which is a nightmarish amount of manipulation of vertices. The advantage of single piece structures, when massive, is that the game designer does not have to waste time fitting sections or worse yet, settling for misaligned models. I am also having great success with 4096 textures. A good game making software should be able to tough up to high poly counts - I'm not saying that model makers should detail with polys, I'm just saying that the program should be efficient enough to face up to it's competitors. X models have a disadvantage in that the artist needs to work around the lameness of bolean hole rejection. Nevertheless, I'm having great fun watching this little program hold it's own under the weight of my heavy models!

All you need is love....so let me have your burger.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:13:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:13:04