Scripts / RIP FPI - And a note on backwards compatibility.

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2014 05:18 Edited at: 16th Jan 2014 05:20
FPI - The old scripting language for FPS Creator passed away the day before yesterday: On Tuesday, 14 January 2014 [1]

FPI lived a long 11 year life[2] - very long in by any computer terms - we've seen whole operating systems buried faster than that! (Who remembers Vista? )

FPI, Rest in Eternal Peace and Bliss [3]

Attach Flowers

[1] See Lee's Blog publication on that day:

http://fpscreloaded.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/stop-press-reloaded-has-lua.html

[2] FPI may have actually been around for longer, but its first mention is in TGC NEWSLETTER 14 (not as FPI, just scripting):

http://www.thegamecreators.com/pages/newsletters/newsletter_issue_14.html

[3] Bad Pun intended sorry.
Sparrowhawk
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2014 05:23 Edited at: 16th Jan 2014 14:16
Damn. Forgot the note on compatibility (Blame the time, here in the UK its 4:22AM)

I was basically going to ask, since most entities used appear.fpi, default.fpi, etc., for backwards compatibility could there not be LUA files put into the directory with these names and extension of .FPI to maximise compatibility with old models?

EDIT:

I suppose that will depend on what become of the FPE files?

EDIT 2:

And no, making that image and finding FPI in the newsletter back issue didn't take me 1.5 hours... Honest

EDIT 3: Of the 22 views to this thread so far (that haven't been me editing it) Clearly none have a sense of humour
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Many may be like me and may be more interested in whether or not anything new will be any better than whats gone past and getting something working. No one cares which tools are employed as long as they work and do so correctly - not being a pain, and contribute some more improved value to actually making something in reality.

Sparrowhawk
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 02:26
Fair point @Uman

I probably should have spent less time constructing the bad pun... haha

I hadn't really learnt FPI, so LUA will give me an opportunity to add another code to those already use (C, C++, C#, VB.Net, AGk Basic, Java... And I wonder why my syntax's are always wrong :/ )
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 04:27
There wasn't much to learn about FPI as it was straight forward. Getting involved in LUA is going to take, me, personally quite a while it seems to get going. But at least I'll know that if it doesn't work... its my fault and not some type of limitation like before.

A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 20:15
Quote: "But at least I'll know that if it doesn't work... its my fault and not some type of limitation like before."

That's true. I never thought of that before!

Don't waste your life
J_C
Years of Service
User Offline
Teabone@

Your a better man than me - my brain went numb after reading one line of FPI script.. I just can't get it.

I'm very very excited by LUA it fits my eye I can see what is going on,

well so far..

Lee's door script is so simple but so powerful.

I will be amazed if you don't just pickup LUA and run with it. I don't think you will crawl for long..

( but I'm an old c++ programmer it rather looks like c)..

I think there are exciting times ahead.

can't wait for Lee's next LUA update..
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 08:19:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 08:19:22