Feature Creep / Dynamic Particle Emitters

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2014 01:23 Edited at: 14th Jan 2014 01:24
I don't what's the correct term, but you get the idea. Instead of using unrealistic sprites, why not real particles? It can add realism in the action, like bomb explosions, smoke, dust, missile/bullet trail, metal spark, lightning, blood splatter, casting magic effects, fluids, etc. There are so many possibilities.

I'm not into technicalities but it can eat alot of graphic processing power, so maybe we can also customize the effect thoroughly.

This is the only decent effect I found (seriously I don't know the correct word to search!)

http://youtu.be/lNMfEyFFNHw

Just imagine the realism of the scene!
PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2014 08:34 Edited at: 14th Jan 2014 08:35
Hi,

I strongly suspect from that video that each frame is rendered indiviually. I'm afraid such particle based explosions are beyond almost all common (i.e. affordable) graphic cards. Despite what you may hear almost all games still use a sprite based system, possibly supported by some minor particle effects.

Nice idea, but I can't see it being practicle.

SC

Bringing you games since 1981!
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
that does look good, I now wondering when we get active fire for reloaded lol... would be nice to have some soon with smoke and such

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2014 00:57
What would be great is if you could use more then 16 frames for the particle decal. Maybe if it excepted all combos of the power of 2 sizes. Bond1 sprite alias shader I have had a 16 x 16 (256 frames) decal work with no issues what so ever.

Of course the developer would have to use some common sense on how many frames to use and the application that they are trying to use it in.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 11:09:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 11:09:12