Off Topic / How will FPSC-R stand up against Leadworks?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2014 20:28
Hi,

I'm a big FPSC-R fan having had much fun with the original FPSC.

But I spotted LEADWORKS on Steam and wondered how FPSC-R compares to it:

http://www.leadwerks.com/

I don't like drawing attention to a competitors game engine - I'm very loyal to FPSC, but I do believe this engine offers a similar impressive product, at a similar price; high quality graphics, aimed at FPS games, LUA scripting integrated, no royalties, etc.

I'm not tempted to jump hip, but has anyone here used this engine? How will FPSC-R be a better product choice than LEADWORKS?

J0linar
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2014 02:04
let me put it this way, FPSCR

is not just on the way to climb the Pc Engine ladder up, sooner or later it will hit mobile devices aswell (at least the games we make )

Now with that being said, its obvious that FPSCR is the tool for the indies of today.

And i have at least tried Leadwerks, back in the day Lw2.

It was not really advanced, at least not for me.

http://j0linar.carbonmade.com/
PM
SamKM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2014 21:26 Edited at: 10th Jan 2014 21:27
This is getting sidetracked a bit, but I'm interested how TGC are planning to get FPSCR games running on mobile platforms... FPSCR is being built in DarkBASIC Pro, which uses Windows' DirectX, so wouldn't it need a total rewrite of DBPro? :s
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Technically speaking in theory Leadworks is superior to Reloaded in its own features for what it does which is not a lot compared to higher end engines. Most indie engines suffer from the same issues they have always done so no need to restate them. Its not really expensive so you cant compare to approaching middleware engines like Unity for range of features and so on which far exceeds most low end indie engines by a major order of magnitude. They are a different league altogether.

Problem is they are all of little help to small indies. Why - well because the are expensive to buy full versions of or are expensive in terms of the resources, skills, time and so on needed to make a game with them too.

Reloaded is in concept much like classic in as much as it is intended to help you make a game easily and quickly which no other engine does in any kind of relative terms to the Reloaded engine. All are trying to make themselves easier to use whilst providing more features, platforms and so on and most will have more of the platforms at least than Reloaded. Not much help to you if you cant make a game with them in the first place.

Whether or not any game engine is of any use to you can be assessed in the first instance by looking at them and the games made with them to date so in terms of a Shooter engine with AI and any level of sophistication of that at all then you can see their are still today very few games actually published commercially at least with most indie engines (disregarding their price completely). Something that many indie developers aspire too.

How many games complete fps games (or other) can you find made successfully with Leadworks. How many available to play demos of games for example from their or other web site? Unity does have a largish number of games published of varying qualities you can see and demo. It continues to take large strides forward obviously due to it own success in recent years placing it at the forefront a position it holds exceedingly successfully.

However most other engines are beyond the use of the average Reloaded users for obvious reasons of being small developers with few of the necessary skills and assets to make a complete and successful game - not being disrespectful but its a question of maths and the level of all kinds of resources needed to make a quality, professional type, large and successful complex game which everyone would like to do if possible. Its in our nature to want to do well and have such satisfaction of achievement and success and not failure which is why we keep at it. Its what drives indie game makers apart from any creative enjoyment and satisfaction of playing a game they themselves have made no matter how large or small or successful. That's not easy to do with any other indie engine.

Reloaded has some considerable potential perhaps but its at such a low end early development stage that no one knows yet what it will be able to achieve or not when it comes to actually developing and deploying games for small indie developers. We can only catch glimpses and dream perhaps not too seriously of what it might eventually become.

There is so much that could potentially be included if the engine can indeed provide and sustain it even at accelerated development it may be a very long time before it becomes a mature, stable engine on which you can rely to provide a wide range of features and functions leave alone deploy to other platforms which is just about too far away or impossible even to consider right now I would think.

Its an engine starting birth in its first year. A Baby and a lot of complex things to learn and manage before it becomes an Adult ready even to diversify to things like other deployment platforms which may never happen. Getting to a stage of being a full featured engine that you could make a variety of game types with at anything like a pro or commercial level at least on the Windows Platform alone seems like a long way off yet. There are literally thousands of features, functions and things to integrate to get there as its a long way behind only just being born as it were. A lot of catching up to do even to get to its teens leave alone become Mature.

Leadworks has been around a while and so too most other indie engines of note. Discounting Classic, Reloaded is the new kid on the block which has to grow up and prove itself to its peers and users alike.

We have to wait and see as always I am afraid.

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2014 21:20
I was thinking about making a thread like this, personally i think FPSC-R will be better with the features that are planned. Character creator, Mobil export, ETC.

TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2014 15:17 Edited at: 15th Mar 2014 02:13
I just bought version 3.1 only been messing around with it for a day or 2 you have got to keep in mind fpsc is still beta so i might as well do something while i wait but if they get the performance to match that of Leadwerks then i will stick with them.

Leadwerks does offer far superior graphics and performance and the ability to change anything. The terrain tool is some what the same and importing models are drag and drop also one of the big things for me was you dont have to do any uv mapping it does it all in game just drag the texture to the part.

The big downside for me is it uses c++ and LLU and i know very little

EDIT: After using Leadwerks for a while now i can say it is much harder to use and lacks any real help or the feel of community while it does stand up with some things like performance and graphics you need to be well read up on somethings to make a fully working game.

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU, 32GB DDR3 MEM
Kilgore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2014 23:25
The importing is something that I really like the look of in Leadwerks, although I haven't bought it yet. I've become pretty tired with the hit and miss import of the X format and texture support with FPSC over the years.

In 2014, I expect to be able to open popular model file formats directly from the editor and have the program intuitively open it correctly, along with its animations, textures and shaders. I don't even want to have to think about it, or have to manually shunt files around, unless I'm doing something really non-standard.

Yes, I am a Reloaded backer, but I'm badgeless
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2014 02:38 Edited at: 20th Mar 2014 02:39
@TattieBoJangle

Can you export your maps in .x format like 3D World studio ?
PM
StevenP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2014 17:39 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2014 18:26
I had the first version of Leadwerks and, although it had some nice screenshots, it was never able to truly produce a game. It seemed Josh moved on to future versions before that was truly possible. I am sure he had his reasons but it made me stand back and see what people produce and release with the latest versions.

I will say this, it has nice graphics and some of the design aspects of it are truly cool. Lee could get some ideas from it and aim to have graphics at least as good as Leadwerks. However, Leadwerks isn't bound to the limitations of DX9 since it used OpenGL so that could be a real challenge.

Edit to Add: I am going to take back the statement about the challenged with DX9. Just for the heck of it I looked around at screenshots of games created in DX9 and there are some real stunners. Take for example this one: http://steamcommunity.com/app/228300/screenshots/
PM
tommy8
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2014 21:52
The fact that Reloaded is for Windows is a big thing in its favour for me.
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2014 22:19 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2014 22:28
@synchromesh sorry i just seen your post no you cant export any maps but it does allow for bigger imports for example i have an entire level made in 3dmax and can import that with no problems.

@tommy8 most things are made or support windows

@
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2014 19:42 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2014 19:46
I did actually buy this thinking I could use both alongside with the same models maps etc but no it does not contain the features that the Leadwerks 3D Studio had that makes it a useful tool for Reloaded

The official documentation is awful .... Its only the steam forums and a bit of google to work out even how to start....The demo you see is pretty much it using all the assets provided and there no intention to add more...Its all down to the community....You can do a lot...If you know what your doing but the video is misleading and makes it look so easy as if you can build games in seconds and this definatly is not the case..

There is only one thing that impresses me and that is using your own textures...Once in the right hand panel you right click and you can UV map the textures instantly ...And they look impressive ingame...But making your own full game is a far off dream.

In short...Reloaded beats this hands down for 3D Game making and your money is better spent on reloaded models when available or upgrading to Gold

Oh...And Mobile and Android support has just been dropped !!
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2014 19:49
Quote: "In short...Reloaded beats this hands down for 3D Game making and your money is better spent on reloaded models when available or upgrading to Gold"

I totally agree when reloaded gets released it will crush it hands down providing they keep the great community they have now.

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 (PASSMARK 9529) 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU (PASSMARK 6858) 32GB DDR3 MEM (PASSMARK 2842)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 05:41:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 05:41:54