Feature Creep / Future Feature Suggestions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 18:17
Segment Building

In reading through some of the forums I noted a heated discussion about the continuation of the segment building system from the original FPS. That segment system was one of the great things about FPS and to abandon it now is a mistake.

The improvements in exterior sculpting are fantastic, but without an easy way to develop interiors, as well as the ability to move from inside to outside and back would seem to me to be essential for a comprehensive system.

More 1st Person Flexibility

I'm not looking at this software for just shooter type games. My goal is develop complex maze exploration/mystery games which require 1st person interaction with more than a weapon. The ability to reach out and touch objects, move them, review and interact with picked-up items, etc. Maybe the ability to see a vehicle and then to be able to get in it and drive it around the terrain.

Scripting

A person interested in a game development system where a game can be created without programming, and a much more complex scripting system as the one suggested, don't seem to go together.

Manuals

I'm sure that somewhere along the line there will be a manual, software manuals are for the most part feature dumps with little suggestion as to how, why, and when to use the features.

Also needed is a narrative that begins from the point of view that the reader knows nothing about your software. Where a manual defines, a narrative explains and makes the connection between the diverse features. This should include a glossary of terms and a full explanation of the file system and file types.

As a Gold member I'b be more than happy to assemble and develop such a project, but I'll need help as I'm one of those who needs the definitions and explanations for my own understanding.
Thurnok
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm.. well, here's some info of possible interest for you.

- Segments:

There is a new system being developed to replace this, just gotta have some patience until it is available for testing.

- More 1st Person Flexibility:

This has already been discussed and answered on the forums elsewhere. To summarize, TGC's intention is to make it for all game genre building.

- Scripting:

Scripting, a powerful extensive one, is critical to a game development platform for anyone looking to make games to actually "sell". Just because the product has it, doesn't mean you have to use it. So I wouldn't worry about that if I were you. You'll still have the ability to make games without using scripting.

- Manuals:

In general, building a manual now would be counterproductive. It would have to be rewritten many times as the product is not finalized and therefore would change constantly. There are plenty of intelligent people on the forums here that can help in areas where you need it for now. But of course they intend to create a manual for the final product.

Considering all of us who have pledged for this product have a vested interest in its success, I'm happy to see you are active in that endeavor as well. You might want to look at the various tutorial videos created by some of the folk here to help out with your narrative project. Check out the "FAQ's & Tutorials" section of the forum for starters. The community here is made up of some pretty helpful people.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:34:39
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:34:39