3rd Party Models/Media Chat / 3rd party models question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
so I have a few questions, and I hope for some helpful answers as I am not to clever lol...

I have been looking around for models and stuff like that for a game idea but I am unsure what I should be looking for tbh in terms of format and scale and anything else I might not even know about lol.

so I found this site and something very nice looking for a game idea I had which I would like to make, here is a link to what is I think a pre build/designed city with 3 different textures for different looks.

the look I was after is on the bottom video of this link http://3drt.com/store/environments/megacity-construction-kit.html

how do I tell if it comes in a size that will fit on the map we have usable and is that the right sort of format .x (directx) or 1 of the others? I see blender on the list and have read some about using blender but im such a noob lol...thanks for any of your help its much appreciated

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
Parallax
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I have been looking around for models and stuff like that for a game idea but I am unsure what I should be looking"

There is a good resource for 3d models and other stuff in this post here.

Quote: "so I found this site and something very nice looking for a game idea I had which I would like to make, here is a link to what is I think a pre build/designed city with 3 different textures for different looks."

Looks like a nice 3D city that would be good for games where you don't actually get too close to the buildings. like a flight simulator.

Quote: "how do I tell if it comes in a size that will fit on the map"

The city is actually broken down into individual buildings. you would place them how you want them.

Quote: " and is that the right sort of format .x"

FPSC uses dirextX .X format The website says that this city is available in this format. If it was not you can always convert it to .X.

In order to use this city set you would have to write .fpe files for all 300+ custom objects that are in the pack. You would also have to test the scale yourself and adjust it until you are happy with it. Then you would have to assemble the cities building by building by yourself into the FPSC map.

I personally don't think the models have enough detail for an FPSCR game. It would look very dated. If this is the direction you want to go in i would first experiment with something free so that you know what your getting into before spending 300+ dollars.
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
yes, thanks.

though I didn't find any help in the link you gave as I looked and none seem to use .x format.. maybe I missed something im not sure but not all the sites mentioned are working and or don't use .x making it out of date but then it was posted in 2009, so no idea what I will do now lol...

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
Parallax
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "yes, thanks."

Quote: " so no idea what I will do now lol..."

D:

Why not start with something fairly easy. Importing a model into FPSCR.

First thing you should do when working with models is download and install a modelling program. Blender, wings 3D, 3Dsmax, etc.

Next thing we need is a model. Here's one. In the description it says only the .max file has a texture. the .OBJ file i downloaded does not.

Import it into your modelling software and then export it as .x. I named my .x file "hood" if you want to copy paste my script you should too. We wont worry about the texture or scale right now.

Once you have your .x file you need to write a .fpe file for it. Open up notepad and put in something like this.

Save it as "hood.fpe" make sure you select all file types.

Now you have two files. simply copy them into FPSC's entitybank folder. When you open FPSCR it should be there for you to place. Here's what my copy looks like.

Sure its a small dark blob and is kind of useless but its your first imported model.

Hope this gets you started.
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks again, but sadly I have no skills what so ever in art, im more interested in paying for them than getting frustrated with myself lol.

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2014 10:01
What kind of buildings would you like.

This could be helpfull for every artist.

I am also making a lot of assets for reloaded.

I already made some modern city buildings.

Gr
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
well, I am not to sure really, not at present time anyways what with reloaded in its current form tbh. I would like to make a couple of games, 1 pvp only no story and another with zombies in a run down city say about 50-60 years after the fall of mankind. so for my story game I would foreseeably need enough run down city for the map size we currently have maybe, no small task anyways. which was why I was asking about the city models in the 1st post, take alook. its quite a nice set really 3 different layout levels and all the buildings and stuff for placing aswell as the pre made levels (not sure how that works but) would suit my game idea nicely. so something along those lines would be nice. I was wanted custom work so no1 else on reloaded has them, lol but I see that being hard tbh if I get them from reloaded store..

its early days yet, I cant begin to make a game with reloaded yet, no idea whats possible and whats not yet, also with each beta release comes a uninstall of the old so most work would be lost anyways.

also im gonna need zombies of various types sizes and everything, then a whole selection of other things lol, which is why im looking around the net for stuff that's gonna be compatible, its just knowing before hand what is and isn't good but I guess no1` really knows that either what with Lua possibilities on the horizon.

have fun stay safe

hood
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 16:20:42
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 16:20:42