3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Model Limitations Requested

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2013 17:00
Has anybody out there any clue as to the various limitations that FPSCR can handle concerning model characteristics? Many of my own large tunnel models crash the program before they are even given a chance to load - while others load up as minuscule fragments of their original creations. I have plenty of my smaller models working great, but the big ones cause this program a fit. This is what i would like to know - what, if any, is the maximum size in geometric terms that the program handle on any one model?, what is the maximum amount of polygons?, what is the maximum size regarding mapped textures (for example, will a 4096 X 4096 cause a crash)?, what is the maximum resolution in any given texture allowable (pixels per square inch). Please - I am very well aware that everybody's computers have varying abilities according to our graphic cards - all of my models render in other programs without hesitation, so let's all stay within the parameters of FPSCR, thank you!

All you need is love....so let me have your burger.
airborne trooper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2013 17:09 Edited at: 21st Dec 2013 17:10
I have found with Model packs for example, I installed in Standalone mode which load up .X models individually without FPS Creator Scripting elements. It is in no way designed for FPS Creator Reloaded.

Don't know if this helps

KAS
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2013 22:53 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2013 23:50
Any mesh over 20k tri's will usually crash the program, don't mistake quads as your face count, 4096x4096 is the dx9 maximum for textures. Any texture larger than this will simply be reduced by the engine so it's pointless. I reckon all 3D game engines display textures at around 72-100 dpi (otherwise= bad performance and memory consumption) so any res higher than this wont be noticed and again probably reduced. I haven't tried anything larger than 2048x2048 in Reloaded yet.

Edit* Just remembered, I did use 4096x4096, worked fine, at least in an older Beta

Tip*It's best to tile smaller textures on very large entities, if you really must use 4096x4096 your normal and spec maps don't need to be the same scale as your diffuse, so reduce these to save on file size.

I have created models as large as 400 feet in 'real world' scale terms and not had any issues with it in Reloaded, I believe they can be a LOT bigger but yet to test it. Of course if your model is larger than the world size in height or width you will have problems.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 03:48:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 03:48:38