Feature Creep / Graphical Options

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm really quite hesitant on purchasing FPSCR just because from what I see there is no

FXAA, MSAA, SMAA, TSAA, or any antialiasing options or scenes. Everything seems to have jagged edges from the gallery or on youtube videos.

I would like to see this engine/editor to support Tessellation also...since it is 2013 and a lot of indie developers would love to have their game look good, instead of having to buy engines or use engines that require an ounce of code.

I would like to see the creators of FPSCR to implement wave control for the water plane and possibly the rippling and bubble effect you'd see in real life. I saw a guy implement this in a previous engine I was using (Leadwerks 2) and it was absolutely beautiful. Though I don't use that engine anymore since I have no time to learn programming.

Also I don't see anywhere on the website of how much polygons this engine/editor can use. I know just about every commercial engine lets you have as many as you want. You may say performance wise it shouldn't matter, but I am a person wanting to develop detail scenes/characters/guns and so on, so my game doesn't feel like it's from the 1990s as the gallery makes this engine look like.

I can buy plenty of tree assets from known artist, but their game assets are completely amazing compared to the ones shown in images here.

I would just like more information regarding this engine/editor before I spend $80 on it. I spent $150 on Leadwerks 2 to realize I can't use it without programming everything.

If this engine doesn't have future plans to be more realistic at competing with Engines like Unity, Unreal, or even Crytek's Cryengine then I guess whenever I have time in my busy life I'll have to learn to program.

Didn't mean to come across harsh. Just simply wanting to create a game graphically amazing (yes i know it's not all about beauty and more on gameplay but no one wants to play a HL1 remake or a FarCry 1 wannabe) to compete against modern AAA games.

Thanks

-

Been playing Video Games since I was 3.
PM
mfgcasa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2014 03:21 Edited at: 4th Jan 2014 03:34
This isn't the engine for you if you want to compete against multi million dollar AAA games. Unless you A have a large AAA size team B pay 100,000's to get the source code to then stream line this game engine for your own needs. This engine costs around $200,000 to make and as far as I can tell its mainly being developed by one guy.

Also be aware that this engine is in Beta and many more features are yet to come. btw the graphics hardly look 2009 let alone 10 years ago...(afterall 3D is only 10 years old). It should support around 100,000 polygons right now and in terms of coding there is none whatsoever required.

However FPSReloaded is a lot cheaper then Unity(because you have to buy then engine then plugins then models etc way over priced) and its not trying to competing with Cry Engine or Unreal as they are both looking for triple A titles and cost a couple million to develop... See the difference in price? However FPSReloaded is a lot easier to use then both of them.

btw your games will work with occulus rift support? would you consider that competition to Unity?

RAM 8 GB

i7-4770k CPU 3.50 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
PM
Reality Forgotten
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2014 07:34
Quote: "after all 3D is only 10 years old"

3D games have been around since the mid 80's and you hardly need a large team of professionals to help you create your game, in fact you don't even need to shell out the large sums of cash it takes most AAA companies to develop a title (average 25 million or so dollars).

There are enough resources on the web that are free and legit for you to create your own game if you have a strong sense of motivation.

Dave
mfgcasa
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes you are right, however it is extremely hard to make a game to complete with an AAA game.

You don't really need the resources, but it will make it harder by far. Let alone the knowledge you will have compared to a proper development team.

I don't really think a one man team really has a chance of doing it.(Yes I know Minecraft did it, but how many others really sold millions?)

It is really hard to amass a fan base without advertising, if you have to make the models by yourself and chances are they aren't going to look as nice as an AAA game(especially if you don't have the same resources) and your probably not really going to have scripted events that is now common place in the AAA games.

Let alone going into sound effects, which require imagination and a good mic + good editor. Then you got dialog to write, script and record. If your going to get any good dialog recorded you probably will have to fork out cash.

btw 80's and mostly 90's aren't true 3d. Its just a 2d image that looks 3d.

RAM 8 GB

i7-4770k CPU 3.50 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:30:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:30:59