Feature Creep / Import terrain

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Wouldn't it be great if you could import terrain from Google Sketchup.

You could even import entities. That way the people that know Sketchup don't have to relearn something else.

And, there are thousands of models in the 3D warehouse.
PM
Plum
Years of Service
User Offline
Hiya.

Yes, Import Terrain would be a godsend. In fact, I haven't bought into FPSCR yet primarily because I don't see anything indicating that I can Import Terrain. I use GROME2 for my terrain and terrain painting (and occasionally entity placement). Getting all that into a game engine isn't easy, but the results are great.

I'd love to be able to simply import my textured terrain into FPSCR from GROME2 and have FPSCR then see it as actual Terrain that I could then tweak in the editor. Importing it as a "static model" would kinda defeat the purpose of it being a Terrain...so it's got to be "actual Terrain" and not a model.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

...I have just one thing to say about that...

...stinky cheese and weasels.
PM
Reality Forgotten
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2014 21:08
Importing the base terrain as a dynamic entity would achieve what?
Plum
Years of Service
User Offline
Hiya.

First...I bought into it. I've owned "Dark (JustAboutEverything)", FPS9 and FPS10. Never really got much use out of it as I was using another game engine at the time (Torque3D and C4 mainly). Anyway, I figured, even if I don't end up using FPSCR, at least I have the option. And I'm supporting The Game Creators (I generally like them as a company).

Second...I don't think I explained correctly. With some game engines, they have a separate and distinct "entity format" for it's self-created terrains. If one was to simply import a .obj as a terrain, the tools built into the engine would not 'register' it as terrain...so you couldn't go in after and tweak an area that needed it. That's what I'd like for FPSCR; the ability to import a mesh and flag it as "terrain" so that I could use FPSCR's built in terrain modification tools (painting grass/foliage on it, raising/lowering areas, etc.).

Third...no, I haven't tested it because when I hit the "Play" button to test out anything (even the example files that came with it), all I get is a 99% green screen.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

PS: I have listed this 'green screen bug' in the Bugs forum.

PM
Reality Forgotten
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2014 01:32
ok,

So you want to be able to import a mesh and then further refine it inside FPSCR. It would be a cool feature but one that I am not holding my breath for.
spudnick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2014 20:05 Edited at: 7th Jan 2014 20:33
I suppose it would be a nice feature to import a terrain mesh.

But do remember when all the brush tools are in place then why bother spending money on other terrain editing software, as hopefully all can be achived in FPSCR editor.

so iam not even going to try medling with my own terrains and seing if I can get them to work, thus FpscR will do the work for me.

and cut the cost down to others.

but i do know why people would like that feature and would be kewl. but an unworthy task to do so while in development.

maybe a feature for further upgrades or addons.
PM
Plum
Years of Service
User Offline
Hiya.

Well, simply put, there are a number of excellent terrain programs out there. I tried a few of them way back when, and I settled on GROME. (I think GROME 3 is the current version). Yes, it was a bit expensive, but after having used it for a few years, I can most definitely say "Totally worth it".

Now, getting *all* of the stuff I could have in GROME3 into FPSCR...not gonna happen. But It would be nice to be able to use exported maps from GROME3 into FPSCR and have FPSRC handle it well, turning it into an actual "terrain" object. If I could even export just a simple greyscale height-map, I'd be happy. But being able to also import a map for texture and maybe even a 'splat map' for terrain features (grass, pine tree, oak tree, rocks, dead brush, flowers, etc.) and set it up so on import FPSRC will place selected models on selected colors of the splat....that would be AWESOME.

Anyway, yeah, for the average user with little way of pro-level tools, not really needed. But for those that want/have specific terrain-based programs...it'd be a really nice feature.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

PM
SPARTAN 31337
Years of Service
User Offline
If you are trying to create a map based around real terrain, why not just import it?

Here's an example of how to do exactly that:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/11681/3D-Terrain-Visualisation-in-Managed-DirectX-9-and

And how to import Google Earth height maps...

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/607176-Tutorial-Importing-Detailed-Terrain-from-Google-Earth

Other links:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet/basics/google-earth.htm
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 22:12:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 22:12:58