3rd Party Models/Media Chat / help for a noob modeller

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 12:52
Hey all, been playing around with trying to make objects in sketch up and then import into fpscr, I get to the point of exporting the model in .x format but don't know how to get from there into fpscr, I tried to use the fpsc entity creator but it seems to make my models very miniature, any help and or advice greatly appreciated.
raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2013 02:21
You need to make sure you model in sketchup at 1"=1". this will ensure that it is the right scale in FPSCR. One thing I have not tried is will FPSCR recognize the way Sketch up textures? I already learned it will not do vertex colors. When your model is small is the texture on it or is it gray or black? What I have been doing is copying my textures and model to the folder I want it in, copying an existing FPE file and changing the model and texture to my own. That has been working so far.
pianodavy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2013 03:10
Well, I finally got my static building models to work somewhat correctly so I will tell you what I did exactly. I'm not familiar with Sketch Up, I use Truespace, and since I wanted to make some extraordinarily large buildings, I found that I basically had to scale them in Truespace times 50. It worked nicely. You didn't mention anything about texturing so I'm guessing you know your textures need to be named the same as your model (you know your models need to be in .x format) and that if you have .jpg or .png textures that these will be needing to be converted to .dds format. I converted my textures using the free paint.net program - so absolutely simple. Now look, I tried Mass FPE Creator which Joe so kindly made available to us all for free - [href]htp://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=200330[/href] - and I tried Green Gandolph's utility and both of these are very nice, but I still had this problem of not having collision detection. It was driving me crazy walking through my buildings. My solution after massive hours of experimentation and hair pulling? I went into the entities file and picked a stock object (that came with the program) that of which I knew had similar features to my models and opened that particular model's FPE file with notebook and simply replaced that particular model's name and texture name with MY model's name and texture name - then named the text file the same as my model, kept the .fpe extension and put it into the folder I created for my own entity (which of course, was placed in the entity file). It took me about 1 minute to edit the file and I'm a slow old man at typing. I hope this helps somewhat!

All you need is love....so let me have your burger.
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2013 11:43
Hey thanks for the replies, hopefully find some time this week to try these out and if all goes well I hope I can share my models(as basic as they are) and methods with other people just starting out here.

By the way subject was meant to say noob but got autocorrected by my tablet and didn't pick up on it saying noon
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2013 06:07
ok so i made a concrete block in sketchup which is 5mx5mx0.3m, i used 1 texture on it converted to .dds, i copied an fpe file from structure(combat building), and changed the model and texture to the correct name, when i load it in reloaded however its barely big enough to see, i tried to load in a power pole which in sketchup scale i made to be 6m tall and i have the same issue of it coming through miniature.

Thankyou for help hopefully i can sort out where im going wrong soon
loopster1616
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2013 20:31
Sketch Up not good for making models. You can get Hexagon for $21.00 by DAZ. Export your models as obj. Use UVMapper to prepare it for texture and map the model. Import the uv into paint or Gimp. Do the color there. Then test it in Milkshape 3d by importing it as a obj. Then use Fragmotion to check it again and export it as a X file format. Paint in windows as you know is free. Gimp is free. Milkshape is cheap. And frag you can use free. Just has a annoying Buy Now pop up that while working will open up a window to buy it when your working. But you can still click it off and hurry and export the X format file from it. Just close it when your finish with each model you make. So it is not constantly popping up "Buy ME" when you are working on testing it in FPSC Reloaded.

Guadalupe Alvarado Jr.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 11:20:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 11:20:44