3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Scaling model problems - Blender

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2013 06:21 Edited at: 28th Nov 2013 07:18
I get the feeling I have read something like this similar, but can't hunt it down, mainly as the forum google search seems to search everything in the old forums and irrelevant to the new ones.

Q: How do I scale models before importing them in to FPSCR? I am importing my model bus, but its about the size of a toy one, rather then realistic size.

I'm using Blender, and exporting as .X and have the .fpe file set up and such, and imports in fine, its just its tiny!

Probably missing something obvious here. Thanks.

PS. Just trying out Fragmotion too, if that helps.

UPDATE: Fragmotion scaling seems to be doing nothing as well. When I export the same model from fragmotion it always seems to be massive in FPSCR, someone explain to me how I'm being a dumb ass please?
PM
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2013 12:06 Edited at: 28th Nov 2013 12:09
Did you delete the .BIN and .DBO files after you rescaled the model?

Also you can always import character model to give you idea of scale.
PM
Tingalls
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2013 17:00
I've had the same problem using trueSpace, but I found that you can open .fpe file and -- under ;orientation there may be a SCALE = ,, if not you can add it and use it to scale your model.
Dosedmonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2013 19:29 Edited at: 28th Nov 2013 19:41
Ah that did the trick, thanks. Thought I was missing something obvious in Blender, after using Maya for so long. What a relief it was just those data files needing deletion.

Thank you!

One test bus in game, now nailed the basics, time to make something descent.

PM
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2013 22:42
Great, glad you got it sorted

I couldn't get on with Blender, how you finding compared to Maya?
PM
Dosedmonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2013 01:46 Edited at: 29th Nov 2013 01:47
I looked up some of the main hotkeys, its got some advantages, but it feels a bit limited then Maya in ways, not surprising as it is free. But for modeling it seems quite rapid, and I can see it being great for people new to modeling too, whilst Maya can be a bit overwhelming on the amount of options.

Once I made lots of models for a game mod using Zmodeler, that was much more limited and harder to use, and I get that impression from Fragmotion too, but Fragmotion and Zmodeler are great for converting files to unique formats that blender and Maya don't support by default.

Gmax/3DSMax has traditionally been preferred by the gaming industry, and I can't work out why. The movie industry uses Maya, and I find both Maya and Blender much better then 3DS Max for ergonomics.

Mainly I am using Blender due to the licensing, the Maya version I have would not allow me to release my game for purposes of selling using those models. And I am hoping I can produce something of great originality and quality with FPS Reloaded, and also I have an RTS engine licensed which I can use the same models in easily. Of course there is many months of work ahead, including learning to animate properly for games, although it can't be that hard if I'm confident with modeling and UVMapping.

On the To Do list:

Teach son to model.

Learn game animation.

Decide upon exact game idea.

Create lots of content.
PM
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2013 10:24 Edited at: 29th Nov 2013 17:00
I've only been modeling about a month, as I do 2D CAD drawings for CNC machines most days, I thought I would make the transition from 2D to 3D.

I started with Wings3D because people said it's easy to use and it will export .X, it is very easy to use but I quickly moved on to Max (I bet just laughed?).

I'm getting on with Max much better, maybe because I'm used to Autodesk software !

Fragmotion is great at converting files, the .X export works every time. For UVMapping I use Ultimate Unwrap3d, but I may use Max for this once I've got to grips with it.

I'm also teaching my son as I learn as he comes up with some great idea's, I would like to see him being able to create them.
PM
Dosedmonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2013 06:20 Edited at: 30th Nov 2013 06:21
Not laughing, plenty of people use it, I just can't figure out exactly why industry uses or used it previously, maybe gaming companies didn't have the same budget as film industry, Maya licenses can be very expensive!

I'm a marine engineer (as in ship engineer, opposed to military), never had a chance to use a CNC machine before, its still all hand lathing and milling machines on ships, CNC machines look great.

Trying to model a riot policemen currently, quite a difficult character I'm finding. Much prefer lower poly modeling when computers weren't so good, much easier, haha!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 12:30:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 12:30:48