3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Multi-Texture support - future possibility?

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2013 16:02
I'm afraid I've never been much of a 3D modeller - but I think from my limited experience with some software - it is possible to export models with multiple textures (in some formats) without the UV map.

Although occasionally being capable of producing models, I have never (despite many recommendations of free software) been able to fathom how uv maps work - especially on complex shapes - e.g. a tree.

Would any of the modelers/Pro's in the forum care to enlighten me over the need for a UV map if some formats support multiple textures (I thought .x did), and if this file type is realistic (I may be hopelessly misinformed) - is there ever likely to support for it in Reloaded?

Sorry if I seem completely incompetent - I've been interested in modelling - but I can never find up-to-date useful tutorials for the UV mapping stage. Blender for example, there are some excellent tutorials, but all seem to be for versions of the software long out of date.
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2013 03:01
Multi-texture support would certainly be a good thing as the vast majority of "free" models to be found are made with Google Sketchup and the vast majority of those models use multiple textures. That said, there are ways to covert models with multiple textures to single texture. Not being a modeler, I can't really comment on the pros/cons of such a process and I no longer remember whether .x models can utilize multiple textures but if my memory serves me, I *think* they do.
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 18th Nov 2013 08:19
I know that with FPSC classic that entities (models) could support multiple textures but the end user would have to remove the shader from the FPE file and also make the model dynamic. On top of that, the lighting on the entitie was pretty horrid without a shader.

Depending on the model complexity, it should be fairly straight forward to put all the UV maps on to one texture.

Landman

Artrift.com - Digital Art Community | MyPixelbox.net - My Creative Blog
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 11:43
Time and patients and practice are the only solutions to UV mapping.

Take it one object at a time and then combine all into one texture.

Once you have the texture made into one, then open the complex object and move the current UV's to the proper spot on the combined texture.

This varies with the type of model program you use. But all have extensive tutorials on line for the procedures.

Once learned and practiced you will be able to do it in your sleep.

Start with simple objects at first for practice.

Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 14:58
Quote: "I can't really comment on the pros/cons of such a process and I no longer remember whether .x models can utilize multiple textures but if my memory serves me, I *think* they do. "

They certainly do - and I agree that FPSC(R) ought to support that properly. A minor snag I guess is that it could make the scripting awkward, i.e. what would be the simplest way of redesigning the .fpe files? Also, while multi-textured X files are displayed correctly in DBPro (the engine behind FPSCR) you can't easily change them in current versions of DBPro. That ought to be fixed at the same time.

Powered by Free Banners
The Rev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2013 16:59
The old fps did multi textures I found only one program that will do it for reload first I used an fpe from reload and deleted the .dds and left it blank like the old fps put in the x file name but the x file from Ultimate Unwrap 3D did not show the textures in reload but they were there when I loaded them back in Ultimate Unwrap 3D. Then I tried the Delgine its free from www.Delgine.com and saved the x file from there and I don't know why but it worked took a couple of enities from the old fps and added them all to one x file so the models 3 different texture files one more thing be sure to have the textures in the same file as the x remember to delete any bin of dbo files can't figure why Ultimate Unwrap 3D did not work and Delgine does. Here is a screen shot hopes this helps anybody
PM
nomis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2013 20:47 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2013 20:49
I think it would be great.

Why?

For example, a complex "walkable" building. If you only can use one texture. Is it much more complicated to modeling. OK there are a few tricks, but the model would requires much more polygons.

The texture is size limited. And the final Product dont look very god...

With multiple textures I can for example take a little texture for the wall-1 and another for wall-2. or soil-1, floor 2, etc.

This small texture you can repeat. (tiled textures!!!!!!!)

Ond so I could great models for FPSC Reloaded make with nice textures.

I've already tried in the Beta3: several Diffuse maps works. However, normal and specular do not work -> will only be generated from one texture, but there are more then one..

The X-File should be correct. Maybe you have to adjust only the shader?

Please support multi-texturing!

Please excuse my bad english
PM
The Rev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2013 00:05
it did work in beta 1002 and was happy but its not working in beta 1003

they should be put in I hope
PM
nomis
Years of Service
User Offline
did it work with the normal and spec maps?
PM
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2013 12:46
Quote: "it did work in beta 1002 "

Did it? How?