3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Textures on new models not showing up and scale

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2013 03:48
Is there certain settings the textures need to be? When I copy over objects from FPSC they work fine. But entities I have made with UV mapping come in as just a base color, sometimes gray sometimes yellow. I have tried shaders and no shaders. I have tried DDS and TGA so far. The new entities I made work fine in FPSC but when copied over just like ones from model packs to Reloaded they do not.

I have also tried taking a reloaded fpi and changing the links to models and textures but no effect.

Also, has the scale changed? An item that should be 48" tall is now only about knee high to the player.

Attached is one of the Barrels I made that I'm having trouble with.
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2013 18:29
Try the attached. You'll need to delete the old .bin and .dbo files first.

As mentioned elsewhere, FPSCR doesn't support models with vertex colour at the moment (and is unlikely to). Lee's working on a fix.

The attached is a fixed version of your barrel.

Powered by Free Banners
raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2013 21:21 Edited at: 17th Nov 2013 21:30
That worked great man. Thanks for looking at it for me. For non-vertex color, is that an export setting from the modeling software? I was thinking I was doing every day UV mapping.

EDIT: I got it. In Ultimate Unwrap Pro there is an option to export UV Coords or Vertext Coords and colors. Easy as pie now.

Thanks Gandalf
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2013 21:33 Edited at: 17th Nov 2013 21:35
*** Edit: Just seen your edit! Glad you got it working.

I have no idea. Since a lot of models have that information unnecessarily it sounds like a default assumption on the part of the software people use. The problem is that I don't know what the various applications call the thing - once you know that you're 90% of the way there. You could try things like "vertex diffuse", "vertex colour/color", etc.

As long as you export simple text X files you can check the file yourself in your favourite text editor and look for lines such as

(obviously the numbers will vary - that example had 2508 vertices).

If it has those then the object needs to be changed. I suggest you experiment with the export settings and manually examine the exported X file. Just make sure you also have UV coordinates and normal.

Powered by Free Banners
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2013 00:41
I think this is part of the problem people are having with certain model packs. I was trying to get the Middle East model pack into Reloaded and ended up with the all white models that some others have been posting.

That is, the advice I gave some folks on how to fix this problem probably did not fix it.

Is there a way to edit the text file (.x) to correct for this or does it require importing and re-exporting from a modeling software. Gonna be a major pain if it is the latter. I found the line of code you reference in the models from the Middle East pack so they definitely have the vertex color issue.

Thanks for looking into this and figuring out the cause.
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2013 00:46
Oh wow! I just deleted that whole section from the .x file and it fixed it. Was not expecting that. Figured I would just break the model but it worked. Deleted everything that was in the brackets for MeshVertexColors (about 80 lines in my case).

Will try this on some more complex models and see if it really is that easy a fix.
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2013 01:00 Edited at: 19th Nov 2013 01:01
Just did 3 large building from the Middle East pack. Deleted everything in brackets for MeshVertexColors (in some cases 8000 lines) and the models came in perfect.

So that's a pretty easy fix.

Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2013 01:18
Quote: "So that's a pretty easy fix."

It is. It's even easier to write a very short DBPro program to do much the same thing. I started out by doing it manually as well but found it easier to write a short program. I think I posted it here somewhere - but there have been so many "why aren't my model packs working properly" threads I'm afraid I can't recall where I posted it.

Powered by Free Banners
Kilgore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2013 14:54
Thanks for posting this fix, guys. I've been having problems, too.

I really hope they look at alternative formats/easier ways to import. I've never found X format particularly well supported natively in other apps, or user friendly.

"It's power babe, power. I don't create it, I own it."
PM
VRGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2013 19:28
I deleted the code in the brackets of the MeshVertexColors in officeblock_1.x

Trying to place officeblock1 in Reloaded and getting error:

"Runtime Error 7018 Could not load 3D object at line 16580"

Wat went wrong or wat did I wrong??
PM
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2013 19:46
Quote: "I deleted the code in the brackets of the MeshVertexColors in officeblock_1.x"

Probably deleted - or didn't delete - a matching bracket somewhere.

If you do it manually you need to delete all of the following

I'm working on a utility to convert the object for you - just an annoying bug and an extra feature to sort out before I post it.

I'm unlikely to finish it tonight as I have a meeting to go to in 15 minutes. But if all goes well it'll be ready tomorrow.

Powered by Free Banners
VRGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2013 18:37
Thanks I wait till it is finished
PM
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2013 22:14
Quote: "Thanks I wait till it is finished"

The first draft has already been posted:

http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=207219&b=3

Powered by Free Banners
raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 03:03
OK. The models are coming in textured but the textures look terrible. They are 2048 x 2048. Here is the model in photoshop:

And here it is in FPSCR:

What could be causing the texture to distort like that. I have messed with scale, and turned off the shader but neither of those helped.
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 11:28
Is that the raw model or have you used my utility to add normals to it? I've seen weird texturing like that with models that don't have normals.

If that object has moving limbs, such as rotor blades and propellors, I think my utility destroys the limb information. That shouldn't affect the texturing though.

Powered by Free Banners
raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 04:58
I got it. When I took away the "vertex colors" I also unchecked the "vertex normals". When exporting from Ultimate Unwrap Pro it needs to be like the image below for static meshes. Animated version is up next (I'll do the rotor blades). Also, since I triangulated the model in Maya, I also unchecked the triangulate model box, and the ticks per second probably does not make a difference on a static mesh.

It's working but I think I might try my own shader as it has the normal and specular detail and would pass for a game entity, it's not as sweet as I think it can look. I have dark shader but never really got into it. No time like the present
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 12:15
Quote: "but I think I might try my own shader as it has the normal and specular detail "

Why not use the built-in one - that will give you shadows as well?