Off Topic / How's this for a product testimony.. Kid-Friendly FPSC!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2013 02:57
I learned today that my son, 13, wants to be a game designer. Not just a player. As a console gamer he's not real familiar with PCs. And I have tried to get him coding with not a great deal of luck.

So I was trying to think of a way to further spark his interest and give him something accessible. I showed him FPSC to see how he would react. He was a little overwhelmed at first but after about a 5 minute tutorial and a few follow up question he was off like a shot. He's been at it unattended about an hour and he's got a decent level including enemy AI, basic doors, lighting etc.. and he keeps wanting to dig deeper. He also wants to make a demo game for a career fair at school. Pretty sweet IMHO.

I think it says a lot about FPSC. Less than an hour from the time he saw FPSC for the first time he's off and running with a sense of accomplishment. And the confidence to move forward. High-Five TGC Devs!

-----------

Get Music stuffs here http://soundcloud.com/seraphicpanoply
dennisb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2013 14:09
Awesome! I'd love to get my nephews trying this too! they are 13 and 14, a great age to start! They'll probably make cooler games than I do too!

FROGS!
Dosedmonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Good to hear this, my step son is 14, hoping to get him hooked on this, so he can help develop levels for my game, whilst I make the content, ha ha.

I see in the Q&A section a worried parent about gore/child friendly version of this, but I think it is pretty child friendly, it is only going to be super gory, if they design it that way, and if their mature and intelligent enough to design a game to be gory, then they are going to be intelligent enough to seperate the real world from a computer game.

How many kids play Grand Theft Auto with out their parents knowing, I know I defenetly did when I was younger! And thats a lot worse!
PM
Sparrowhawk
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2014 02:51
Quote: "How many kids play Grand Theft Auto with out their parents knowing, I know I defenetly did when I was younger! And thats a lot worse! "

haha

hahaha

Yeah, who didn't play GTA without parents knowing? I did... They found out though, when loud music was on in my room one day, turned round after rampaging (in San Andreas) and they were standing behind the computer chair, brother in the background grinning... haha
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2014 21:31 Edited at: 24th Feb 2014 09:04
I find this entertaining to read, since *Mod Edit*. I would like to say I have gone pretty far with FPSC, My game http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=204113&b=25 Was never completed, becaue of bugs, lack of interest from the forums, and FPSC-R coming out. I just wanted to share with all of you what can be accomplished *Mod Edit*

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@Tomahawk

Please do not publish your age. This applies to all users regardless of age!

Thanks,

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
@Scene Commander - Not sure if its because I live in the USA or because I feel entitled to reasons when rules are mentioned..or both... but Why would we not or should not be able to post our ages?
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 11:35:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 11:35:09